PDA

View Full Version : 6600 shifters with force brakes

SteveV0983
04-23-2012, 06:41 AM
Has anyone specifically used Ultegra 6600 STI levers with new Sram force brakes? I had a loaner bike that had force on it and, although I ultimately prefer Ultegra, the force brakes were amazing. I know you cannot even use 6700 brakes with 6600 levers so I was curious if anyone has any first hand knowledge if the force brakes will work with 6600 levers.

Thanks.

AngryScientist
04-23-2012, 06:59 AM
couple things:

1) they'll work fine. even the 6700 brakes will work OK, but you wont get the benefit of the optimized actuation ratio of 6700. Just remember the basics of how mechanical brakes work: you use the lever in your hand for mechanical advantage to pull cable. at the other end the brake turns cable pull into mechanical clamping force, all road brakes pretty much work the same...

2) you're going to be fooling yourself if you think you are going to get a significant upgrade in brake performance with force calipers over ultegra calipers, particularly if the same pads are used on both. one thing that makes newer bikes feel like they brake better is that the pad compound is newer and fresher, perhaps the pads on your current ride are a little old and dry.

3) other things on your loaner bike could have effected how you perceived better brake performance, a stiffer fork, stiffer overall bike, stiffer wheels. again, i doubt you'll notice anything that a change of pads wont get you on your current bike.

but to the original Q, yes, they'll work.

:beer:

SteveV0983
04-23-2012, 07:35 AM
Scientist,

Thanks for the reply. It was a much stiffer bike (demo Moots vs my Colorado tg), but I used my current wheels. So it was a stiffer and lighter bike, same rims, obviously different pads. I use Dura-Ace pads and this current set is less than a year old. The force brakes have SwissStop pads (black), but being one of their designated demo bikes, the pads were probably not brand new, but they could be newer than mine. All of the aspects you mentioned I'm sure are true, so I'll probably just hold off for now. Or maybe at least try a set of the SwissStop pads when I'm ready for a change.

Ken C
04-23-2012, 12:52 PM
SwissStop pads are superior to Shimano pads. I run the GHP II pads in Shimano brakes and the combo is supurb. I have used the standard SS black pads which were the same ones on the demo you rode and those are a vast improvement over Shimano pads.

dave thompson
04-23-2012, 01:00 PM
Kool Stop black or salmon pads can make brakes feel and work better than stock pads. At least that's been my experience.