PDA

View Full Version : Save the Grand Tours!

gmason
09-04-2005, 06:22 AM
Anyone for a grassroots movement?

Here is a letter (Email actually) that I have sent to the UCI. It pretty much expresses what I think is the existing situation.

-----
Sirs -

I am at a loss regarding the ongoing difficulties between the UCI Pro Tour and the three Grand Tour events - Giro, Tour, and Vuelta. I would like very much to understand the issues. Please publish something, on your Web site if necessary, that will keep fans informed.

For my part, as an avid fan of cycle racing on the road, I must say that I am ambivilent regarding the UCI's actions:

1. It is clear that there has been a need to organize in a way that would provide riders the best opportunities, salaries, and other protections as can be afforded by the UCI. The Pro Tour goes some way toward addressing those essential issues. While somewhat successful, there are clearly some issues which need addressing, and which have been put forth by various individuals and organizations, and related in the press.

2. On the other hand, I do not believe that it is in the interests of cycling, the riders, and cycling fans - the people for whom all of this is important - to destroy the heritage (for as much as 100 years) of the sport as represented by races that have become the legends of the sport, and which are revered by many millions of fans. It seems completely counterproductive to avoid discussions, no matter how painful, which could result in mutual accommodation of the Pro Tour and the Grand Tours.

I fervently hope that you will reach agreement with the organizers of the Grand Tours quickly, so that next year's Pro Tour calendar includes them. I dare not think of the effects that a lack of Pro Tour riders in these races will have on the fans of the sport. I believe very strongly that the effects would be no less than devastating to the sport, and to the organizations that exist to protect and advance it.

Sincerely,

Gary Mason
-----

The address to use, should you wish to pursue this yourself, is admin@uci.ch