PDA

View Full Version : New "distressed" paint job

Rudy
04-22-2012, 02:43 PM
I'm in the queue for a frame from a renowned builder who uses an exclusive painter. For the finish I am considering a new "distressed" paint job, by which I mean one that resembles a work in progress: primer showing, various sample colors sprayed on, one or two finishing touches completed.

So far my conversations with the builder have been most cordial and there's no reason to believe otherwise in the future. How best to finesse a request to basically ask him and his painter to turn their art into what will look like a stalled resto project?

Kontact
04-22-2012, 02:50 PM
That's tough one, as no one wants to put work out that looks bad, and some people will definitely not think it looks nice that way. You might consider formalizing the aesthetic so it starts with bare, unpolished stainless dropouts and primer at one end, then transitions all the way to fades, lug lining and gloss at the other.

There was a period in late feudal Japan where samurai sword scabbards were lacquered in contrasting layers than sanded to expose them to give the impression of great age. You could draw a connection to that tradition.

Louis
04-22-2012, 02:53 PM
Very cool, IMO.

Original thread is here (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=108277)

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu277/clyde-the-pointer/IMG_2752.jpg

jds108
04-22-2012, 03:06 PM
Check out the Showcase subforum here. Craig Ryan has one of his frames done in this style. I have a F/F from Craig and have nothing but good things to say about it or him, and I wasn't a totally low-maintenance customer (guess none of that is too relevant for your situation.). But at least there is a sample pic to check out.

cat6
04-22-2012, 03:22 PM
Hayrick Island (68°42′S 67°32′WCoordinates: 68°42′S 67°32′W) is a small prominent rock mass, more than 150 metres (500 ft) high, between Lodge Rock and Twig Rock in the Terra Firma Islands, off the west coast of Graham Land, Antarctica.

AngryScientist
04-22-2012, 03:29 PM
I'm in the queue for a frame from a renowned builder who uses an exclusive painter. For the finish I am considering a new "distressed" paint job, by which I mean one that resembles a work in progress: primer showing, various sample colors sprayed on, one or two finishing touches completed.

So far my conversations with the builder have been most cordial and there's no reason to believe otherwise in the future. How best to finesse a request to basically ask him and his painter to turn their art into what will look like a stalled resto project?

just an open discussion is best IMO. ultimately though, i would not ask a painter to do a job that they are not comfortable with, or out-rightly do not want to do. good paint jobs are a labor of love, and if the painter is not into it, it will show in the end product. my 2 cents.

EricEstlund
04-22-2012, 03:40 PM
Agreed.

I like to know the end goals of the look of the bike early in the process. At least for me, paint and metal work are designed to highlight each other. While many things are flexible, it's probably a good idea to hit the subject early. If they are into it you'll get better results, and if they are not into it the more info the better to try to meet everyone's needs.

jr59
04-22-2012, 04:02 PM
Although the builder is building the bike, isn't it to be your bike?

You have paid for it, or will pay for it. Shouldn't it look just like you wish?

Isn't beauty in the eye of the beholder? What looks GREAT to you may not appeal to some, That's the greatness of having a custom done. Is it not?

Custom means custom; That is unless the builder says it must be red.

You know, like e-richie! :p

Doug Fattic
04-22-2012, 04:31 PM
I've been painting bicycle frames since 1976. My wife will tell you that there is no better way to slow me down to do something than ask me to do a paint job I don't like. Now most likely I'd just say no to a distressed paint job because I don't like something out there that I feel doesn't represent my work well. However I'm also sympathetic to trying something new and different even if it isn't to my personal taste. That keeps work fresh. I gotta say though that I think "distressed" paint (as if various parts of the frame look like they are in different stages of completion) looks like crap to me. If somehow someone did convince me to paint a frame that way I bet every other job would get done first. Its not exactly procrastination, its like trying to solve an unsolvable puzzle. I have to figure out how to make it look good and if that isn't happening then work stops until a way is found to make it be at least okay. Maybe the only thing that could break the logjam is that it has been in the shop so long finally something has to be done even though I don't like it. I might be willing to try this on a Trek but there is no way I'd want to do it on a custom frame I'd make. No way.

So, if you are keen on this idea you'd better ask right away if it is possible. He might feel like I do and you'd need to find another builder.

gdw
04-22-2012, 05:00 PM
Talk to the builder. If he's uncomfortable with the project ask him to deliver the frame without paint or decals. If he refuses to sacrifice a virgin frame to your painter find a new builder or get the frame with a standard paint job. You can always have it repainted later.

esldude
04-22-2012, 05:20 PM
Nothing but opinion to offer.

I have seen a couple these that look pretty classy. Seen a couple or three that look like a bad idea (again just my opinion). I wonder how they wear with age to the owner. Those that look good seem to catch your eye the first few times then you don't notice. And in my mind it always gets tagged as a gimmick.

In contrast, some of the top notch finished jobs always look great to me. Might not notice like at first, but anytime I do look at it I have this, "man that looks good" feeling that never seems to go away. So maybe owners of these distressed schemes could say how it strikes them after some time.

jr59
04-22-2012, 06:05 PM
it's just a personal taste. Some how I don't see anyone claiming Dairo's frames are anything but art.

I think some are ok, and I think they more than likely ride great, BUT some of them IMO are VERY ugly.

The point being, it's your frame, it's not being made and painted for a bike show. It's being made for you. Let the builder decide what geo, and what tubes. That's his job. You are the one who has to ride and look at it everyday. As long as you like it, isn't that what matters most.

I hear all the time on some of these forums, let the builder build. OK, but he will never/rarely see it once he packs it up and sends it off. You on the other hand, will see it every day and hopefully ride it a LOT! I mean really, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

BTW; I've seen a few of these type of paint jobs. None that I cared for. But there again, that's my taste.

cmg
04-22-2012, 09:02 PM
your going to have to show many examples of what you want. How will he know when enough is enough?

rice rocket
04-22-2012, 09:06 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/a2gti16v/H2O%202006/h2o020.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e163/nap83/ratv.jpg

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/4011/dsc08414xc6.jpg

Meh. Fads are silly.

roguedog
04-23-2012, 12:57 AM
Is there a reason you want distressed? Like as a form of street/lock up bike that won't be obvious, immediate eye candy for thieves? Or perhaps some other practical reason? If so, maybe explain to builder and painter and they might help you out and maybe a balance can be struck.

If it's just cuz it'd look cool to you then it might be harder sell as others have mentioned.

Either way, prob best to let this one outta the bag earlier as suggested above

Bob Loblaw
04-23-2012, 08:15 AM
Have the builder prime it, do the paint work yourself, and then have it clear coated.

BL

Ken Robb
04-23-2012, 08:45 AM
Why don't you ask that the bike be left bare metal, get a credit for the cost of a nice paint job and then mess the bike up yourself with rattle cans? Or leave it out in the rain for a few months before you paint it so it really looks funky.:)

EricEstlund
04-23-2012, 11:31 AM
You might not have to "talk" anyone into anything- both the builder and painter may be completely into it. It's always a good idea to discuss these things early.

wasfast
04-23-2012, 02:35 PM
James Tyler started this for electric guitars (not Relic style) by accident and now it's become accepted. It's not for everyone, especially when paying $3K for a guitar:

http://tylerguitars.com/images/flash/gallery/lgr/vomitSE-PV-ash-full.jpg

http://tylerguitars.com/images/flash/gallery/lgr/SEHDPpsyVomit.jpg

http://tylerguitars.com/images/flash/gallery/lgr/SEBW2k.jpg

He has more traditional finishes too.....

Rudy
04-23-2012, 03:16 PM
Thanks, all, for the generosity and thoughtfulness of your comments. Especially appreciate the link. Odd, that recent post is so on topic to my inaugural thread! I'll add just a few clarifications....

I meet the builder this Friday and will definitely mention my ideas for the paint job. My understanding is his painter is a prodigy at bicycles; as a fine (as opposed to performance) artist regularly, perhaps he will interpret my vision accordingly.

Surrounding me in a studio apartment are seven hand- and custombuilt bikes sporting dazzling finishes of chrome, polished stainless, elaborate paint, pinstripes, and so forth. So maybe like an automobile collector neck deep in valuable motorcars who wants to make a midnight run in a built to the hilt but rustoleumed lead sled, I too can see the pleasures of riding a "best in show" that doesn't catch the eye but repays second looks.

Thanks again,

Rudy

Doug Fattic
04-23-2012, 04:28 PM
One other thing I'll mention is that there is always a learning curve to doing something completely different. A painter that has already done this type of job is probably going to do it much better than someone trying it the first time. I remember the first "splatter" paint job I did (actually a framebuilding class student did with my help). Basically it just looked like random paint was thrown on the frame without any thought. But actually to get the right density of pattern, diversity of colors, viscosity of paint and how to throw it so it spattered right took a great deal of practice. You can't just take paint off if it went on wrong. The knowledge of doing the first one made the latter ones go much better.

One of the challenges of doing a paint job where parts of the frame are in various states of finish is that you are dependent on the painter's ability to recreate what is in your mind. You are asking for something that you don't know how it will look until the job is finished (and nether will the painter). What if you are disappointed with how it turns out? Whose fault will it be? I can see the possibility of irritations all around. Most good builders and painters want to keep the image of their products within certain bounds. Now it is quite possible that they will love this idea and will be enthusiastic about doing it your way. But don't underestimate how closely a builder and painter identify with the work they produce and as a result want to have control over their final product. So don't expect to talk someone into something that they don't want to do. That is why it is best if you are flexible in your demands if you want this particular builder/painter combination. Of course some may not care at all as long as your check clears but I think those types are the exception.

Rudy
05-02-2012, 06:06 PM
Am back from my fitting where I discussed my vision for the finish. The builder was quite encouraging about the concept (currently primer grey with rust red accents). In a little less than a year I'll post pictures of the result.

nahtnoj
05-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Foresta.

That could be the answer to a lot of questions, but certainly the answer to yours.

Lift photos from his blog and tell your guy "do this".

Cloud
05-03-2012, 01:58 AM
Finally found this bike.

Here's a Cyclops custom "two faced" track bike with the left half left raw with a mild intentional amount of surface rust. The other side is painted.

Two awesome looks in one
http://prollyisnotprobably.com/2011/06/velo-cult-anthonys-cyclops-two-face-track/#more-34258