PDA

View Full Version : Old Potatoe et al.: will Ultegra 6700 RD shift 32 tooth cassette?

sc53
04-22-2012, 12:51 PM
Wondering if I could use my SRAM 32 tooth cassette with an Ultegra 6700 RD? If not, did I hear correctly that Shimano is coming out with a larger-range road RD this year or next? I guess if Ultegra won't do it, I'm left with SRAM or Shimano MTB RD setup right?

Kontact
04-22-2012, 12:55 PM
Depending on your bike's derailleur hanger, it might work if you put the B screw in backwards so the head engages the hanger tab. Putting a longer B screw in doesn't work. We've done this even with Ultegra DI2 and it worked fine on a Seven with a 30mm hanger.

Otherwise, use a "9 speed" Shimano MTB derailleur or a Microshift mountain derailleur, unless you want to abandon your Shimano shifters and go all SRAM.

oliver1850
04-22-2012, 01:06 PM
Had the same experience as Kontact with a 7800 bike. B screw begins to run off the hanger at the extreme angle that results when screwed all the way in. On that bike it worked fine with enough B screw tension, but the 32 is only on there for one hill in one event. For a long term setup I'd probably have swapped the RD. Just changed a road bike to the long cage Microshift and a 36 cog. Seems to work fine so far.

dave thompson
04-22-2012, 01:14 PM
Wondering if I could use my SRAM 32 tooth cassette with an Ultegra 6700 RD? If not, did I hear correctly that Shimano is coming out with a larger-range road RD this year or next? I guess if Ultegra won't do it, I'm left with SRAM or Shimano MTB RD setup right?

I've got 3 bikes and have had 2 others (3 customs and 2 production bikes) that have run precisely that combo: compact cranks, 6700 'short cage' rear derailleur and a SRAM 11-32 cassette. Most ran that with zero issues while 1 was marginal WRT the clearance between the upper guide pulley and the chain on the largest cog. I found the key to making it work was correct chain length and I used the big/big method while running the chain through the rear derailleur. All of this worked very well for me.

SRAM rear derailleur won't work properly with Shimano shifters. A Shimano MTB 9-speed rear derailleur would be the very best way to do what you want to accomplish.

You sound like you want to run the 11-32 cassette regardless. Buy one and try it out with your existing set-up. If it works, great! If it doesn't work to your satisfaction then all you'd have to do is buy the MTB derailleur, and as OldPotato says: "Bob's yer uncle"!

maunahaole
04-22-2012, 03:45 PM

Brave one, you are....asking the spud about things that are not Campy.

sc53
04-22-2012, 06:53 PM
The Old Spud knows all. But thanks for the answers esp Dave Thompson, your experience with this exact combo is encouraging!

firerescuefin
04-22-2012, 06:57 PM
The Old Spud knows all. But thanks for the answers esp Dave Thompson, your experience with this exact combo is encouraging!

After Dave answered a similar question for me. Put a 9s XT rear on my friends 10s road bike so he could ride an 11-36 in the back...work very well.

oldpotatoe
04-23-2012, 07:26 AM

Generally not w/o making the chain too short for big-big combos. May on some bike but the chain length shortness makes for possible diaster.

Use a shimano 9s(not 10s..not compatible with shimano 10s ATI road levers), like Deore or something-works great.

if ya have sram 10s road levers-use a sram 10s MTB RD..not 9s...confusing isn't it?

oldpotatoe
04-23-2012, 07:30 AM

Brave? I work on more shimano than Campagnolo, far more. But I DO see more Campagnolo than a lot of shops, true but it's cables and pulleys and chains, right? Compatibility is a matter of a little research and sometimes trying something...not a black art or smoke and mirrors ya know.

AngryScientist
04-23-2012, 07:33 AM
but it's cables and pulleys and chains, right? Compatibility is a matter of a little research and sometimes trying something...not a black art or smoke and mirrors ya know.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQCZ2hUJWuPYokr4zmYe3FCNLjrTX0CT enAMA5KDj4bMmPM_bfnv88Y0lU

metalheart
04-23-2012, 09:13 AM
This is just my experience .... I know nothing else.

:bike::bike:

I have an Ultegra Di2 with 54/30 chain rings and a Shimano Xt 11-32 cassette and it works just fine with the standard rear derailleur. Maybe it has to do with the dropouts, but all I know is that it works fine.

deanster
04-23-2012, 03:56 PM
Brave? I work on more shimano than Campagnolo, far more. But I DO see more Campagnolo than a lot of shops, true but it's cables and pulleys and chains, right? Compatibility is a matter of a little research and sometimes trying something...not a black art or smoke and mirrors ya know.

Good answer!

dustyrider
06-25-2012, 04:35 PM
Digging a little on my own has me wondering if one of these:

9 speed (http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-RD-M771-Rear-Derailleur-SGS/dp/B001CB8IJQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1340659727&sr=8-4&keywords=xt+derailleur)

with an 11/32 cassette and a 50/34 crankset won't cause any "real" issues, when using 10speed shimano shifters?

I think I've understood everything, correctly but.....

Could you push it a little more with an 11/34 cassette?

MattTuck
06-25-2012, 04:58 PM
You are riding a mixed shimano/SRAM drivetrain? avadacadavra!

http://www3.images.coolspotters.com/photos/527523/lord-voldemort-gallery.jpg

cloudguy
06-25-2012, 05:19 PM
I changed to this setup (10sp 11-32 with 9sp XTR MTB derailleur) based on Old Spud's knowledge and it works fantastic. Spinning up Flagstaff is definitely better than mashing.

dave thompson
06-25-2012, 09:32 PM
Digging a little on my own has me wondering if one of these:

9 speed (http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-RD-M771-Rear-Derailleur-SGS/dp/B001CB8IJQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1340659727&sr=8-4&keywords=xt+derailleur)

with an 11/32 cassette and a 50/34 crankset won't cause any "real" issues, when using 10speed shimano shifters?

I think I've understood everything, correctly but.....

Could you push it a little more with an 11/34 cassette?

The 9-speed Shimano MTB rear derailleur will work excellent with the Shimano 10-speed shifters, it's been done 1000's of times. The rear ders are designed to work with 11-34 cassettes.

dustyrider
06-25-2012, 09:49 PM
The 9-speed Shimano MTB rear derailleur will work excellent with the Shimano 10-speed shifters, it's been done 1000's of times. The rear ders are designed to work with 11-34 cassettes.

Certainly the MTB RD is designed to work with 11/34 cassettes, but I don't see too many people pushing larger than a 38 chainring on their MTBs.
I regularly spin up most of my MTB climbs in my 32/34.

I guess what I'm really wondering is if the long cage RD will actually allow running in the 50/34 combo?
Although I suppose with the 36 tooth cassettes that are out there, a MTB RD ought to be able to make 50/34.... :confused:

nahtnoj
06-25-2012, 09:53 PM
There is now a Tiagra 12-30 cassette that works great, much better spread than an 11-32.

dave thompson
06-25-2012, 09:54 PM
Certainly the MTB RD is designed to work with 11/34 cassettes, but I don't see too many people pushing larger than a 38 chainring on their MTBs.
I regularly spin up most of my MTB climbs in my 32/34.

I guess what I'm really wondering is if the long cage RD will actually allow running in the 50/34 combo?
Although I suppose with the 36 tooth cassettes that are out there, a MTB RD ought to be able to make 50/34.... :confused:
Yes, without problems or issues.

oliver1850
06-25-2012, 10:00 PM
RD doesn't care about the number of teeth on the chainrings per se, only the differential between small and large. 50 -34 = 16; 42 - 26 = 16: the RD sees them as being the same.

dustyrider
06-25-2012, 10:00 PM
Yes, without problems or issues.

Thanks!

I appreciate this place more and more every day. :)

oliver1850
06-25-2012, 10:13 PM
Dave T: I meant to tell you that your MS long cage worked fine at the St. Croix Half Ironman. I couldn't convince them to put a triple on her bike, so she used a 34/50 with a 12/36 cassette. She had to walk up the hill, but was still a little better on the bike than she placed overall.

He rode with a 39/53 and a 12/32 and said he needed every tooth on the hill. He was very good on the bike, only 6 secs slower than the fastest for his group (with an off course excursion in the rain).

Thanks for the help with the project.

oldpotatoe
06-26-2012, 07:35 AM

Only possible if you make the chain too short, way too short for big-big combo. Get a Deore 9s MTB rear der..that is compatible with 10s STI-The shimano MTB 10s RD, are not.

Ahhh...see it's a post from April..ohh well..least I didn't change my story.

oldpotatoe
06-26-2012, 07:37 AM

I work on more shimano stuff than Campagnolo stuff...I even know the ins and outs of.....horrors, sram. I fix it, just don't sell groups/bikes with it(sram).

jr59
06-26-2012, 07:44 AM
I work on more shimano stuff than Campagnolo stuff...I even know the ins and outs of.....horrors, sram. I fix it, just don't sell groups/bikes with it(sram).

The old spud, he's a pretty smart guy, with a cool tat and a very nice watch.