PDA

View Full Version : OT: Red Sox fans - can it possibly get any worse than this?

Louis
04-21-2012, 10:59 PM
Ouch, ouch, ouch.

After an embarrassing loss to the Yankees on Friday following the celebration of Fenway's 100 anniversary, a nice comeback today and a 9-0 lead, then 9-1, only to give it up by allowing the Yanks to score 7 runs in each of two consecutive innings. Final score Red Sox 9 Yankees 15. Painful.

As the NYT said the other day, they're picking up where they left off last year.

MattTuck
04-21-2012, 11:03 PM
We've won 2 world series in the last 10 years... I think it can get a lot worse... like 86 years of worse. ;)

Louis
04-21-2012, 11:06 PM
True, or watching a grounder trickle through Bill Buckner's legs...

I meant short-term, this season. At this point I just hope they finish above .500

allenwhy
04-21-2012, 11:14 PM
i have very very little sympathy for the red sox.

MattTuck
04-21-2012, 11:17 PM
I agree, it is disheartening. Especially against the Yankees. It still counts as a single win or loss for the division, but that kind of beat down causes emotional damage that creeps up later in the season.

Do you have a minor league team around St. Louis? I've enjoyed following the Portland Sea Dogs in years past, Boston's AA affiliate. You can go to a game with $20 bucks and get enough food for 2-3 people at their stadium too.

The one year I followed the Red Sox religiously, I didn't get much biking in. Probably watched 80% of their week night games. Would come home from work, turn on the TV and watch from 7:05 until the end. After a while, it became less and less fun, and I felt more like a bench warmer grinding out the season... guess what I'm saying is, it's a long season, so a lot can happen.

Edit: Fenway is fun as a novelty, and if the tickets are free/perk of your job. I'm not sure I'd go there if I had to pay for a family.

Louis
04-21-2012, 11:21 PM
i have very very little sympathy for the red sox.

Wow, I didn't know we had Terry Francona on the forum! ;)

I know what you mean, but they've been the AL team I've followed for the longest time (I remember as a college student walking around campus with a tiny radio so I could listen to Carl Yastrzemski get his 3000'th hit.) and they have more soul than the hated Yankees.

spartanKid
04-21-2012, 11:23 PM
Ouch, ouch, ouch.

After an embarrassing loss to the Yankees on Friday following the celebration of Fenway's 100 anniversary, a nice comeback today and a 9-0 lead, then 9-1, only to give it up by allowing the Yanks to score 7 runs in each of two consecutive innings. Final score Red Sox 9 Yankees 15. Painful.

As the NYT said the other day, they're picking up where they left off last year.

Ask any Mets fan...I'm sure it can get worse.

Ti Designs
04-21-2012, 11:37 PM
We've won 2 world series in the last 10 years...

I'm confused. When you say "We've won" do you mean "they won", or is it when you say "they lost" you really mean "I lost", and just how much is the team paying you?

Louis
04-21-2012, 11:38 PM
Do you have a minor league team around St. Louis? I've enjoyed following the Portland Sea Dogs in years past, Boston's AA affiliate. You can go to a game with $20 bucks and get enough food for 2-3 people at their stadium too.

No A, AA, or AAA, but we do have two teams in the area in the Frontier League, which I don't think is affiliated with MLB. Never been to any of their games.

It's funny that you bring up the Sea Dogs. I have a Sea Dogs t-shirt sent to me by my sister who lives NE of Portland. Just today I was talking to her about the Sox - she's been mad at them ever since they fired Jerry Trupiano. She said "I need to find a new team to root for" so I suggested the Sea Dogs.

FlashUNC
04-21-2012, 11:39 PM
They're not the Pittsburgh Pirates.

So yes, it gets far, far, far worse. Pittsburgh's last winning season was during the Bush presidency -- the father....not the son.

Louis
04-21-2012, 11:40 PM
All fans say "we." Good ones also say it when the team is bad.

Louis
04-21-2012, 11:45 PM
They're not the Pittsburgh Pirates.

So yes, it gets far, far, far worse. Pittsburgh's last winning season was during the Bush presidency -- the father....not the son.

They beat the Cards today. :)

I can't believe WE loaded bases in the first inning with no outs and somehow managed to not score... ever, for the entire game. Shutout.

tiretrax
04-22-2012, 07:58 AM
Try being a Rangers fan - 38 years of suck, plus the legacy of the Senators. The last two years have made up for a lot of poor baseball when one division championship and Nolan Ryan are factored out. Also, Bobby Valentine was here - it's no wonder the Red Sox are off to a terrible start.

The problem is John Henry. It's great to have an active owner, but not too active. The difference between Jerry Jones and Robert Kraft.

rice rocket
04-22-2012, 09:17 AM
Why is baseball always such a pity party?

"Well my team sucks harder! Our city deserves a win."

I don't think you see that in any other sport.

yankees1
04-22-2012, 09:34 AM
:banana:

Ken Robb
04-22-2012, 09:40 AM
Padre fans would love it if their team could ever manage to get a lead to blow.

allenwhy
04-22-2012, 09:44 AM
Haha!

Ken Robb
04-22-2012, 10:35 AM
Why is baseball always such a pity party?

"Well my team sucks harder! Our city deserves a win."

I don't think you see that in any other sport.

It's a sport where failing on 2/3 of a player's attempts is considered wonderful: .333 batting average is Hall-of-Fame number.:banana:

Viper
04-22-2012, 10:53 AM
Bucky Dent.

Climb01742
04-22-2012, 11:22 AM
Bucky Dent.

i'll see your bucky dent and raise you this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNnqbf2Vpv0&feature=related

;)

Viper
04-22-2012, 11:32 AM
i'll see your bucky dent and raise you this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNnqbf2Vpv0&feature=related

;)

Tina Turner is a Yanks fan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_xxy8OCNcQ&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL9F6054B03D790F60

;)

quattro
04-22-2012, 01:17 PM
This is the best I have heard last nights game described:
"The Bobby Valentine's Day Massacre"

Gotta love it!
GO YANKS!

Orrery
04-22-2012, 01:39 PM
It's going to be a long summer here in Boston...

Bruce K
04-22-2012, 01:42 PM
Shall we start a pool as to how long Mr. V lasts?

Viper
04-22-2012, 04:00 PM
Shall we start a pool as to how long Mr. V lasts?

I gave Bobby V a 25% chance of lasting longer than 1 year in Beantown. He's a very polorizing person and many were shocked the Sox chose him of all people.

Bruce K
04-22-2012, 04:27 PM
I don't think managemnet will actually admit the error and can him before the end of the year but you never know.....

BK

Bruce K
04-22-2012, 04:32 PM
Keith;

You MORON..... (and I say that with love)

Mr. V is BOBBY VALENTINE the Red Sox Manager !!!!!!!!!

Not you.......

You need to chill dude !!!!

I await YOUR apology.

BK

Viper
04-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Bobby Valentine = no good.

Viper
04-22-2012, 04:38 PM
Keith;

You MORON..... (and I say that with love)

Mr. V is BOBBY VALENTINE the Red Sox Manager !!!!!!!!!

Not you.......

You need to chill dude !!!!

I await YOUR apology.

BK

BruceK

I TOTALLY APOLOGIZE 110%.

I was totally wrong here.

I am sensitive to Mods these days. :cool:

PLEASE ACCEPT my apology.

Everyone, especially BruceK....I was completely wrong and I am sorry.

Sincerely,
Viper, (Viper) and not "Mr. V".

PS: Sorry, truly. I was a DB above.

Bruce K
04-22-2012, 04:38 PM
Red Sox fans are already calling for Valentine to be fired.

I was (humorously - I thought) suggesting we should start a pool to see when he will get the axe.

Nothing more.

Check that other thread about taking things too seriously.

Still waiting for the apology.

BK

Viper
04-22-2012, 04:39 PM
Red Sox fans are already calling for Valentine to be fired.

I was (humorously - I thought) suggesting we should start a pool to see when he will get the axe.

Nothing more.

Check that other thread about taking things too seriously.

Still waiting for the apology.

BK

See above, post # 29.
I feel like an idiot.
Sorry for my reaction.
I was totally wrong and I do sincerely apologize to BruceK.
Thanks.

Bruce K
04-22-2012, 04:49 PM
Apology accepted.

BK

Orrery
04-22-2012, 04:51 PM
Damnit, and Ovechkin just tied it!:eek::eek::mad:

Viper
04-22-2012, 05:22 PM
Damnit, and Ovechkin just tied it!:eek::eek::mad:

That OT showed how awesome playoff hockey is...

572cv
04-22-2012, 06:28 PM
yes, I'm a Sox fan. I've been one for long enough to be uncomfortable with their recent success. By recent, I mean the general good fortune of the last eight years. It's just that, in the historical context, it is way longer than normal. Sox fans learned humility and a pathological sense of irony from long bouts of mediocrity. Hope was always there, but it was a once and future concept. My absolute favorite moment in this long reverie came on opening day about twenty some years ago. It was in Fenway Park. The opening pitcher threw the first pitch; it was a strike. Immediately, a fan somewhere back behind home plate stood up with a substantial sign, which read: "WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR!!" Now that was a great Sox fan.

Maybe we'll do better this year, maybe the Sox will get it together. It doesn't matter. I love the ebb and flow of baseball in the background on the radio, the fact that it is not a game based on time, but rather on performance. Weather interferes, weird things happen, sometimes it is a triumph, sometimes a debacle. Like the tour, there are races within races, the batting title, the golden glove, making the playoffs, getting a triple play, and on. The Sox are headed for a new equilibrium and I wish them well, and I know that getting there is just part of the entertainment.

FL_MarkD
04-22-2012, 06:31 PM
Looks like the Red Sox got just what they needed after the past two games, a rain out. :rolleyes:

As a Rays fan, I am happy to see one of the two powers of the AL East have a tough time. It goes in cycles. They will be back and maybe even this year. Money makes up for a lot of mistakes.

Mark

nebraskacycling
04-22-2012, 07:00 PM
We've won 2 world series in the last 10 years... I think it can get a lot worse... like 86 years of worse. ;)

I would agree. I'm definitely not a sox fan, but I think losing a few games to start the season isn't a big deal. Go YANKS!

wc1934
04-22-2012, 07:27 PM
OT: Red Sox fans - can it possibly get any worse than this? Ouch, ouch, ouch.

They've hit bottom -
Clemens being found guilty would ease some of my pain!

bikerboy337
04-22-2012, 07:33 PM
At least the Bruins won today! :banana:

I can't bear to watch the sox right now though...

Tony T
04-23-2012, 05:11 AM
http://cdn.svcs.c2.uclick.com/c2/7a097ad06ed9012f2fdd00163e41dd5b

daker13
04-23-2012, 07:03 AM
It's early.