PDA

View Full Version : Today's ride

zmudshark
04-21-2012, 05:00 PM
Paradise Valley police officer: "do you know many stop signs you went through?"
Me:"two?"
PVPO: "try six, and the speed limit is 25 through there, you were speeding, too"
Me: "six? are there that many back there?"
PVPO: "you want to go back with me and count them?"
Me: "no sir, I'll take your word"
PVPO:"try to stop at least a little in the future"
Me: "Yes, officer, thank you"

Black Dog
04-21-2012, 05:06 PM
Why run the signs? Rolling through is one thing, especially if there are no cars around. Does not leave a good impression of cyclists to the drivers.

firerescuefin
04-21-2012, 05:12 PM
Zmud...are you a changed man?

TMB
04-21-2012, 05:40 PM
See, I actually don't remember any stop signs in PV. Do they hide them behind the the Saguoro?

azrider
04-21-2012, 05:45 PM
Unreal. Those PV cops are hurtin for somethin to do.

Invergorden?

zmudshark
04-21-2012, 06:05 PM
I am not reckless. This was on the Shadow Mtn> Las Brisas>Desert Vista>54th St route. We slowed at the intersections and called out cars (there was only one the whole way) The stop signs are all off dead ends. It's the 54th street Mummy Mtn route in reverse. http://app.strava.com/segments/660071

In fairness to the cops, I think it was citizen patrol day. The guy in the right seat had to be 80 YO. The left seat was probably the chief. He looked a lot older than me, and I get SS next year (woo hoo!). They were cool, and maybe a bit amused.

On another note, and board related, I've been hooking up for rides with a PV resident that rides a Meivici. He also is big into Campbell's soup, and a nice guy, to boot.

old_fat_and_slow
04-21-2012, 07:00 PM

chuckroast
04-21-2012, 07:09 PM
I dream of getting a speeding ticket on a bike. It would be totally worth the fine.

Dekonick
04-21-2012, 07:14 PM
I would frame a speeding ticket if I got it on a bike...

Spin71
04-21-2012, 07:18 PM
I guess the assholes on the roads are not limited to cars. Glad you're proud of it. :rolleyes:

zmudshark
04-21-2012, 07:23 PM
I guess the assholes on the roads are not limited to cars. Glad you're proud of it. :rolleyes:

Guess you've never ridden that stretch of road. It's residential, and pretty safe. We were always in control, and gave the right of way. The funny thing was two old guys being pulled over by Barney Fife and his dad.

As far as the asshole comment, you don't want to go there, unless it's face to face. That I can deal with. From some anon on the interwebs in a friendly forum, WOW! Check yourself before you wreck yourself.

Ignore feature in use.

TMB
04-21-2012, 07:28 PM

Really?

Where the hell did this comment come from?

Earl Gray
04-21-2012, 07:34 PM
Really?

While I don't agree with the ahole comment I understand the sentiment. A group of guys on scooters could not get away with what cyclist do.

azrider
04-21-2012, 07:36 PM
Really?

look at the kids last 15 or so posts.....he's got some issues he needs to work out.

Hope your day gets better Spinner!!

TMB
04-21-2012, 07:56 PM
Why run the signs? Rolling through is one thing, especially if there are no cars around. Does not leave a good impression of cyclists to the drivers.

PV is a world unto itself.

My guess would be that the stop signs are a minimum of half a mile apart. "Neighbours" are the people 5 acres over. There might be two driveways between stop signs and the only traffic to speak of is within 100 yds either side of the golf/tennis club entrance.

95% of PV you won't see a car all day.

akelman
04-21-2012, 07:58 PM

You really have no idea how to conduct yourself in public, do you? Worse still, it's pretty sad that the minute I read the OP, I knew it was only a matter of time until someone would say something idiotic like this.

Earl Gray
04-21-2012, 08:01 PM
You really have no idea how to conduct yourself in public, do you? Worse still, it's pretty sad that the minute I read the OP, I knew it was only a matter of time until someone would say something idiotic like this.

Why was his comment so out of line. Really?

Someone comes on the internet bragging about him and his friends running stop signs and getting away with it!

Don't get me wrong, I almost never stop at stop signs and feel that it is the best course of action for me and the cars on the road.

However, I'm breaking the law and could understand if someone thinks I should be stopping.

Spin has a right to think (and say) that Mud is an Ass for bragging about it.

akelman
04-21-2012, 08:11 PM

Think? Sure. I have no interest in policing what people think. Say? No, he really doesn't have that right. Context matters. And in this case the context is that the ride is basically deserted, zmud has an impeccable reputation, and this is a private forum that has its own rules, including prohibitions against calling people names.

firerescuefin
04-21-2012, 08:14 PM
As John Wooden said..."it's ok to disagree...it's not ok to be disagreeable."

For some, disagreeable is their default setting.

TMB
04-21-2012, 08:19 PM
look at the kids last 15 or so posts.....he's got some issues he needs to work out.

Hope your day gets better Spinner!!

I see what you mean, thanks.

1 more name on the ignore list.

zmudshark
04-21-2012, 08:26 PM

Someone comes on the internet bragging about him and his friends running stop signs and getting away with it!

Don't get me wrong, I almost never stop at stop signs and feel that it is the best course of action for me and the cars on the road.

However, I'm breaking the law and could understand if someone thinks I should be stopping.

Not bragging about running stop signs at all. I guess you'd have to know PV and the route and the police (who, obviously, I get along with). I stop at lights, press the walk button, etc...

I'm sure you don't want a treatise on the purpose of stop signs, and how they really shouldn't apply to cyclists, so I'll spare you that.

As far as another comment about scooters...Once again, you've never ridden in PV. It is the privileged class. There are scooters, skateboards and all sorts of nonsense that aren't at least on the right side of the road. Don't even get me started on joggers w/ear buds.

This was meant as a light hearted post. For those new posters who want to make something out of, I suggest you go over to bikeforums.net.

One more added to the ignore feature.

In the meantime, anyone who wants to ride with me and check out the route for themselves, PM me.

There was one car on that portion (who blew a stop sign) and we yielded to him. He would win in a a game of touch.

The cops were very light about the whole thing. Some of you need to lighten up a bit too, IMHO, of course ;)

gomango
04-21-2012, 09:01 PM
I'd love to ride that route with you someday.

Sounds like a hoot. :)

Heck, after the last couple of weeks I wouldn't mind riding my Schwinn Racer down to the beer store.

martinrjensen
04-21-2012, 09:26 PM
I'm just glad you didn't have to text the forum with your "one free phone call" from a jail cell. I'm sure that jails now have internet access .
I am truly sorry that someone who took offense to your statement responded in such an unrespectful manner. It's a minority here you know that.

nighthawk
04-21-2012, 09:30 PM

boo.

zmudshark
04-21-2012, 10:01 PM
Guys, I had a really nice, easy ride today. Three hours with a friend, just talking, hitting the hills a little, but not a hammerfest by any means. It was tickling 100* today... I really thought it was funny that the cop pulled us over. He was not being a hard guy, by any means. We were not reckless, heck I have grand kids I enjoy more than riding and my racing days are well past.

This particular section of road is very awesome. They resurfaced it in the Fall. You do 1.4 mile climb that tickles 19% for a few feet, then you drop into another 1.3 miles of smooth pavement and sweeping turns that are mostly downhill. To be fair, we only really blew one stop sign, and we had a clear view. I was not going to argue with a cop who was obviously showing his ride along what a nice guy he was.

For those who have quickly called me names, please make sure a foot goes down at every stop sign, even if there is not a car in sight.

Now last Monday, on my 61st birthday, I did do a bit of a hammerfest, as much as one can do solo at that age, and even set a few PB's on Strava. I still was not reckless, but did blow a few stop signs in the same area.

I probably will blow them again tomorrow, and the day after that and the day after that. I doubt I'll see a car there in the next week or month. If I do, I'll yield. It's only prudent.

Grady, you are welcome anytime.

One more thing, I was riding my 1985 Merckx Professional, with GEL 280's, and won every sprint to the top of a hill. There were no stop signs ignored on those segments.

Stop as yield, red as stop. It's only sensible.

wc1934
04-21-2012, 10:06 PM
Why was his comment so out of line. Really?..................

If you have to ask then I doubt you would understand the answer!

junkfood
04-21-2012, 10:10 PM
Would love to ride with you some time to Z. Just have to make it to the dessert some time.

Jake

zmudshark
04-21-2012, 10:15 PM
Would love to ride with you some time to Z. Just have to make it to the dessert some time.

Jake

Jake, I was thinking of you today, in fact I do every time I ride the Merckx, It's your stem on it!

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-n_zelyE5sIA/T5A4A-U24RI/AAAAAAAAHs0/iwXZDyF8GC8/s800/P1030187.JPG

TMB
04-21-2012, 10:18 PM
Isn't it sad that such an innocent OP results in a thread spiraling like this?

junkfood
04-21-2012, 10:20 PM
Jake, I was thinking of you today, in fact I do every time I ride the Merckx, It's your stem on it!

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-n_zelyE5sIA/T5A4A-U24RI/AAAAAAAAHs0/iwXZDyF8GC8/s800/P1030187.JPG

It always brings a smile to my face when I see pics of that bike. Glad that I had a piece worthy to go on it.

Jake

Fixed
04-21-2012, 10:31 PM
Me: "no sir, I'll take your word"

Me: "Yes, officer, thank you"
These words can go far ..
Cheers
:).
I can look at your bike and tell you are a gentleman

Louis
04-21-2012, 10:33 PM

Yes. It's just not nice to call a fellow forumite an asshole, whether you approve of how he rides or not.

If you disagree with him say so, and state your reasons and in an intelligent manner. Calling people names is not something you do in a healthy online community.