PDA

View Full Version : Rapha Merino Armwarmers vs. Smartwool?

DRietz
04-21-2012, 02:26 PM
Anybody use both? I only ask because the Smartwool warmers are cheaper by $35 and shipping is from the US, compared to the Rapha arm warmers which are $60.

Rapha does have individual small, medium, and large sizes, which I like - I'm a slender guy. Capo S/M warmers sometimes slip. But, I hear the Smartwool ones fit slimmer anyway.

Anybody have experience with either or both?

robin3mj
04-21-2012, 02:42 PM
I really like my Smartwool knee Warmers, but the upper cuffs began to unravel almost immediately.

blantonator
04-21-2012, 03:51 PM
Rapha quality is excellent and their lifetime warranty including crash damage is unbeatable.

Cloud
04-23-2012, 02:40 AM
For another option, try DeFeet. I've tried higher tech options and continue to prefer my defeet arm warmers, socks, etc.

rice rocket
04-23-2012, 07:23 AM
Get the Castelli Nanoflex ones. I love wool too and have a full kit of wool (bibs, jersey, baselayer, socks), but the Castellis are REALLY good. The nanoflex coating lets rain sheet off your arm. And if it downpours and you get soaked through, it doesn't have the chilling effect that most cold and wet pieces of clothing have. It's the one piece of my cycling kit that's made me go "wow" (well two if you count the leg warmers).

AngryScientist
04-23-2012, 07:25 AM
i scooped up two pairs of the smartwool ones on deep discount at the local big outdoor shop around here (campmor). i really like them, and they are holding up very well for me, no complaints at all.

cp43
04-23-2012, 07:40 AM
I've been very happy with a pair of SockGuy wool arm warmers. They were $20, great value IMHO.

Chris

echelon_john
04-23-2012, 08:06 AM
Ibex makes great wool armwarmers, too. Sometimes available on the clearance section of their website, www.ibexwear.com

veggieburger
04-23-2012, 08:32 AM
I love my Defeet arm warmers. They also have a Merino wool version, which are quite nice.

ClutchCargo
04-23-2012, 01:22 PM
Get the Castelli Nanoflex ones. I love wool too and have a full kit of wool (bibs, jersey, baselayer, socks), but the Castellis are REALLY good. The nanoflex coating lets rain sheet off your arm. And if it downpours and you get soaked through, it doesn't have the chilling effect that most cold and wet pieces of clothing have. It's the one piece of my cycling kit that's made me go "wow" (well two if you count the leg warmers).

A little OT, but if you're cycling in iffy weather of the sort that makes you value that nanoflex coating, you might want to look into Castelli's Gabba jersey. It's a jersey that's designed for temps in the 40's - 50's and is highly water resistant. I don't think "waterproof" is the right term for the Gabba, but it does work well. Yesterday I couldn't get out on the bike until the skies were just about to break here in northern Westchester County; ended up riding the whole 1-1/2 hours in a steady rain, temps around 42-45. Kept me as dry as a rain jacket would've (with some of the same perspiration "condensation" too, by the way--none of these things breathes perfectly). Castelli make a LS and SS versions -- the thing to like about the SS is that the sleeves are extra long--almost to the elbows--so you get a lot of coverage when paired with arm warmers.

sivat
04-23-2012, 01:39 PM
I hate to throw another option into the mix, but i've been really happy with my ibex arm warmers.

As for rapha vs smartwool, you're definitely paying for the name with the rapha stuff. I'm willing to do that with jerseys, since i appreciate the style, but when you're talking about simple black vs. black with a white strip, i'd say save the $35.

edit: oops. echelon_john beat me to the ibex.

mossman
04-23-2012, 06:53 PM
+1 to ibex

ispy
04-23-2012, 07:13 PM
Ibex are nice, thin and not scratchy at all. The only downside is the prodigious amount of sewn labels on the inside (skin side) — which Rapha nicely resolved with removable care labels — but one can cut these off.

DRietz
04-23-2012, 07:20 PM
I think I might actually go with Defeet - forgot about how much I love their gloves and socks, and the fact they make other accessories. Thanks for the input, guys!

Viper
04-23-2012, 07:24 PM
+1 to the dudes above who dig DeFeet wool. I have Capo Roubaix and they rock as well (get them in white in honor of Sean Kelly). I <3 all of Capo's stuff:

http://www.capocycling.com/apparel/warmers

http://www.defeet.com/60209/Arm-Coverings.html

http://www.defeet.com/60296/i1374983/736014/ArmSkins-Wool/ArmSkins-Woolie-Boolie.html

http://www.defeet.com/60296/i1323400/718688/ArmSkins-Wool/ArmSkins-Wool-Charcoal.html

Capo in white are so Sean Kelly.