PDA

View Full Version : Little 5

2LeftCleats
04-21-2012, 10:54 AM
It's that time of year again.

For anyone interested, HDNet is broadcasting live the men's Little 500 race from Indiana University. 2pm eastern.

Windy and cool today but beats 45* windy and rainy last night for the women's race. (But it was a good one)

Black Dog
04-21-2012, 05:18 PM
Too Funny. I just watched Breaking Away last night. I was wondering when the race was going to run. Thanks.

mistermo
04-21-2012, 09:41 PM
Attended the rice. Very well run. Congrats to Delta Tau Delta for taking control and winning their way.

Phi Delta Theta, 2nd.
My boys (Sigma Chi) rode strong and finished 3rd.
Cutters 4th.

Hopefully nobody will turn pro tomorrow like last year:
http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/04/news/fresh-off-little-500-win-eric-young-joins-bissell_169346

Louis
04-21-2012, 10:21 PM
How many teams compete in the race?

mistermo
04-21-2012, 10:34 PM
It's modeled as a bicycle version of the Indy 500 (sort of). 33 teams of 4 riders each. Riders come in for an "exchange" cyclocross style (sort of) when they're tired.

Besides reigning US National Crit champion Eric Young, former US Champ Rahsaan Bahati rode when he was a student (but didn't win).

If you go way back, Wayne and Dale Stetina were Little 500 champs too.

Louis
04-21-2012, 10:37 PM
Besides reigning US National Crit champion Eric Young, former US Champ Rahsaan Bahati rode (but didn't win).

What are the rules on who can participate? Can a pro just show up and ride? Doesn't seem right for the legitimate students and locals.

mistermo
04-21-2012, 10:47 PM
What are the rules on who can participate? Can a pro just show up and ride? Doesn't seem right for the legitimate students and locals.

It's 100% amateur and one must be a registered student of Indiana Univ. Only for Cat 3s and lower. However, the appeal is so strong that many forego moving up or going pro so that they can stay within the rules and still compete. That was the case last year where Eric Young went pro (with Bissell) only days after winning. And 3 mos later, he's our US Natl Crit champion. They try hard to keep it amateur and for students.

At Indiana, basketball players and cyclists are the "popular" athletes on campus. In what other college can a skinny guy in lycra be cooler than the football jocks?

Louis
04-21-2012, 10:51 PM
Oh, so those guys rode back when they were students.

I read it to mean that they rode this year, but didn't win. I was confused.

mistermo
04-21-2012, 10:59 PM
Yes, Stetinas won back when they were students (in the 70s?). E. Young won as a senior in 2011. And Bahati was a student too, but didn't win. And to be clear, their 'team' won, though they were the sprinter. It's very much a team competition.

I went with a friend today who'd never been. At about lap 100, he said "this is better than NASCAR!"
clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_tE89cVFMU

2LeftCleats
04-22-2012, 09:03 AM
The rules seem arcane, but I think cat 2's can race in their last year of eligibility. The whole thing is a bit silly, as cat 3's do whatever they can to delay upgrading. I may be corrected on this, but I think the cat 3 requirement only applies to road racing, so that a cat 1,2 in track or mountain bike could ride if he's not been upgraded to 2 in road.

The requirement apparently is to keep this a 'student' event. But it's already treated as seriously as basketball or football (though folks would argue football at Indiana University has never been taken very seriously). So it seems pretty arbitrary to have the cat 3 requirement. One must be a full time student with a certain GPA to participate.

I follow this stuff with interest. Son rode 4 years with the Cutters. Daughter in 2nd year with Teter.

Oddly enough, all this talk of 'cat' drew the attention of one of our Calico's who, just as I was to submit this, jumped on the computer and landed on the power button, shutting everything off. Guess she knew what I wrote was cr*p but I'll send it anyway.

nm87710
04-22-2012, 12:26 PM
but it's already treated as seriously as basketball or football...

+1

Bruce K
04-22-2012, 01:15 PM
Nice to see the Sigs on the podium.

The Little 500 is a great tradition - I just wish it got more mainstream PR

Not trying to hijack the thread but I wonder how many in The Paceline belonged to Fraternities and which ones?

BK

Louis
04-22-2012, 02:47 PM
not trying to hijack the thread but i wonder how many in the paceline belonged to fraternities and which ones?

gdi

onsight512
04-22-2012, 07:31 PM
is there anyplace to watch this after the fact?

snah
04-22-2012, 08:10 PM
Nice to see the Sigs on the podium.

The Little 500 is a great tradition - I just wish it got more mainstream PR

Not trying to hijack the thread but I wonder how many in The Paceline belonged to Fraternities and which ones?

BK

Was in Acacia at IU back late 80's early 90's. Rode with the team, never in the race. House finished in top 3 for three straight years, winning my last year. Pete Noverr, rider who also turned pro, albeit a few years later, was on that team.

2LeftCleats
04-22-2012, 08:52 PM
HDNet carried it live. Don't know if there's any replay. The website below contains the broadcasts for men's and women's races

http://bloomingtonvelonews.blogspot.com/

onsight512
04-22-2012, 10:59 PM
HDNet carried it live. Don't know if there's any replay. The website below contains the broadcasts for men's and women's races

sweet. thanks for the link. watching it now. :banana:

mistermo
04-23-2012, 08:48 AM

The action begins at 2:18:00 when Cutters do their powerslide in turn 4.

in hoc

billspreston
04-23-2012, 01:07 PM
Nice to see some Hoosiers on the Board!

Little 5 is a blast.