PDA

View Full Version : Platform MTB pedals

BCS
04-21-2012, 07:35 AM
Anyone using flat pedals for XC/all mountain riding? My comfort level on technical features is not good right now while clipped in. I hope this gets better as my skills improve. Looking for suggestions

rodcad
04-21-2012, 07:47 AM
Anyone using flat pedals for XC/all mountain riding? My comfort level on technical features is not good right now while clipped in. I hope this gets better as my skills improve. Looking for suggestions

Flat pedals are all I use. I wear Teva sandals or tennis shoes, nothing like being comfortable. Of course I'm old and don't hammer all that much, YMMV.

fjaws
04-21-2012, 07:53 AM
I used PowerGrips when I first started riding MTB.

That was a WHILE back now but they worked pretty well and they're still available.

dogdriver
04-21-2012, 07:54 AM
My humble advice-- ride your bike in a large, soft grass field and practice mounts and dismounts. The "heel out" move to unclip needs to be muscle memory, and once you get it, its much easier than getting out of platforms with clips.

Until then, Shimano has a pretty spiffy combo "SPD on one side-- platform on the other" pedal. I think there's another thread about it.

Disclaimer: I have been on my back, road bike looming over me, in the middle of a fairly busy intersection in town after failing either to successfully unclip or bunny-hop. A quick, automatic unclip is a good skill to develop...

Earl Gray
04-21-2012, 08:12 AM
Crank Brothers 5050

http://www.biketype.com/pics/5531/full/crank_bro_pedal1.jpg

dustyrider
04-21-2012, 11:03 AM
I used to ride flats, switched to Time clips, tried some Crank Brother's Mallets, switched to flats 6-7 years ago and haven't looked back.
The thing with technical sections and flats is that you can position your foot far better with flats then you can with clip-in pedals, and of course if it's really choppy and you unclip things get scary in a bad way!
The tough part to get used to for me, going from clip-in to flat, was that when you leave the ground the pedals can leave your foot. But just remember you're falling at the same rate as the bike, and the pedals will be there when you land.

My personal experience with Crank Brothers products, pump, 5050xx, mallets, all of which failed miserably and were nothing short of a nightmare to deal with. Return broken product, wait for product, wrong product sent back. Stuff like that costs you $ and potentially time off the bike.
I know plenty of people with similar issues and plenty of people who've had no issues. Reviews (http://www.mtbr.com/cat/drivetrain/pedal/crank-brothers/5050-xx/prd_365379_135crx.aspx) of the 5050xx. These pedals run a sealed bearing unlike the 5050.

With that said I ride a set of these (http://www.deitycomponents.com/decoy_pedals2.htm).
I've put about 2 years on the current set.
There has been lots and lots of abuse given to them too, in the form of red rocks and wet sand, and I haven't even needed to service them, yet.

slowgoing
04-21-2012, 11:06 AM
+1 for platforms.

Get some shin guards if they are heavily toothed.

Ken Robb
04-21-2012, 12:57 PM
The MKS platforms that Rivendell sells as "Grip Kings" might be good for you. Their platform is large front to rear but narrow so you get big area for grip and comfort but they are not as likely to scrape in ruts, against banks, or while cornering as a wider pedal might. They come with a tread without spikes that still grips quite well. The tread area also has slightly raised dimples where you can easily screw as many round teeth as you want.

HenryA
04-21-2012, 02:26 PM

I think you'll be lots better off learning to ride with some kind of clip in pedals. A few trips to the trail and you'll be good to go. Or just practice clipping and un-clipping in a safe grassy area as someone has already suggested.

tannhauser
04-21-2012, 03:22 PM
A lot of skilled all mountain guys go with flats.

I have no probs w/clipless, but am back to flats for the large platform and the amount of positive feel I get through a softer rubber sole. If you go with super sticky rubber like 5.10 it may ramp up your confidence in super technical stuff as it did with me.

Your stroke is different going up for sure, but the sticky shoes help.

BCS
04-21-2012, 03:35 PM
Just to clarify: i have been riding on the road with clipless for a long time. Unclipping quickly is not an issue. It more has to do with fear/inexperience when riding tight singletrack, going over seesaws,etc. I just feel really spastic and have the desire to get my feet out. I know a lot of DH/freeriders use flats and was thinking of giving them a shot

Jawn P
04-21-2012, 03:44 PM
I'd stick with clipless, as the ability to pull up in your pedal stroke when trying to mash up super steep stuff is invaluable.

But on my city bike I run these and they're awesome - assuming they'd be good for MTB stuff too: http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=715

cp43
04-21-2012, 05:25 PM
In your position I'd go Shimano SPD pedals. You can get the "multi-directional release" cleats for them. With those, you don't need to twist directly to the side to get out, and they have adjustable tension so you can get out easily. I've been using them for years and have never had a problem getting out of the pedals when I need to. I think you'll be fine with MTB clipless, especially if you're used to clicking in and out from the road.

Whatever you decide, have fun on the trails :banana:

Chris

tannhauser
04-22-2012, 08:04 PM
Just to clarify: i have been riding on the road with clipless for a long time. Unclipping quickly is not an issue. It more has to do with fear/inexperience when riding tight singletrack, going over seesaws,etc. I just feel really spastic and have the desire to get my feet out. I know a lot of DH/freeriders use flats and was thinking of giving them a shot

Lower your seat when going downhill too.

pinkshogun
04-22-2012, 08:26 PM
i second shin guards for spiky platforms. still have nasty shin scars from 3 years ago....the bloody mess has long since dried

OnTheEllipse
04-23-2012, 09:25 AM
I rode clipless the first few years of mountain biking...switched to flats for the better part of a decade and am back on Shimano XT clipless.

The clipless pedal with the small platform around it is a little harder to get into, but i think it's a nice compromise.

I always felt great downhill on flats, but always a bit sketched out going uphill. My feel always felt like they were going to slide off. I'm told a modern bike specific shoe with a sticky sole makes all the difference in the world, but I've never tried them.

Earl Gray
04-23-2012, 01:01 PM
... I'm told a modern bike specific shoe with a sticky sole makes all the difference in the world, but I've never tried them.

Very true and I don't think they need to be bike "Specific". I have some thin, soft soled Tiva's that grip like mad. If I try to ride in regular tennis shoes I can feel the lose of grip.

Bertleman
04-23-2012, 05:53 PM
I have used Time Atac Z pedals forever. They work well clipped and not clipped. I can't seem to figure out how to paste a picture of them

ispy
04-23-2012, 06:45 PM
I asked about something analogous in a recent thread. Got lots of good advice on half-clip/half-platform pedals. Haven't pulled trigger yet, but in the meantime I came across these new Shimano XT SPD "Trekking" Pedals (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=67250) (Model T780) which only seem to be available outside of USA (because Shimano thinks Americans only "race" their bikes whereas other people also ride bikes for city or touring?). These seem pretty promising as long as the platform side has some grip. I imagine the black finish won't last long though...

They also come standard with the Multi-Release (silver) cleats. Not sure how Shimano decides which pedals come with Single-Release vs. Multi-Release but I've noticed this varies according to pedal.

BTW Ribble seems to have the best price on these.

BCS
04-27-2012, 09:34 PM
Bought some Straitline AMP pedals and used my son's Five Ten shoes. Super solid grip with little loss of pedaling efficiency. Really impressed.

tannhauser
04-27-2012, 09:36 PM
Bought some Straitline AMP pedals and used my son's Five Ten shoes. Super solid grip with little loss of pedaling efficiency. Really impressed.

Glad that worked out.

cataņo
04-27-2012, 09:50 PM
I've used the speedplay drilliums and was pleasantly surprised at how much grip they have. They're definitely on the pricey side, but they look sharp and work well.

http://www.speedplay.com/images/drillium.jpg

William
04-27-2012, 09:53 PM
No issues at all, and the upstroke is a definite plus.

http://www.cheftools.com/images/06-1180.jpg

William