PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Campy/Fulcrum Bottom Bracket Bearings

CaptStash
04-20-2012, 08:10 PM
So I finally pulled the cranks on my IF and confirmed that the bearings are well and truly worn out. How does one go about pulling the bearings and pressing new bearings on to the cranks? Is this a job best left to a shop, or is it something I can tackle.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Saul aka CaptStash....

AngryScientist
04-20-2012, 08:19 PM
We talking UT here? You're a maritime guy, buy the tools and get the job done capt. It's pretty easy with the right tools. I fabbed my own, but the park set is readily available, easy to use and relatively cheap. Do it yourself and be proud you did.

guylimey
04-20-2012, 08:33 PM
Easy peasy - do it your self.

CaptStash
04-20-2012, 08:42 PM
I just found the Campy YouTube video. It does look pretty straightforward.

How did you fabricate the puller? Remember I'm a mate and not as handy with a lathe as you engineering types.

Stash....

wallymann
04-20-2012, 09:20 PM
get a cheap 2-arm gear puller and spend some quality time w/ the bench-grinder to customize the bearing hooks as needed to fit. no specialized milling needed. i did that the results worked fine -- good enough to pull bearings off 3-4 sets of UT cranks.

in the time since i sprung for the park tools just cuz.

I just found the Campy YouTube video. It does look pretty straightforward.

How did you fabricate the puller? Remember I'm a mate and not as handy with a lathe as you engineering types.

Stash....

mcteague
04-21-2012, 07:28 AM
Just buy the Park bearing puller. It works fine for occasional work.

Tim

oldpotatoe
04-21-2012, 07:48 AM
So I finally pulled the cranks on my IF and confirmed that the bearings are well and truly worn out. How does one go about pulling the bearings and pressing new bearings on to the cranks? Is this a job best left to a shop, or is it something I can tackle.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Saul aka CaptStash....

Well, there are specific tools to pull the bearings and to press new ones on(remember to remove the wee c clip off the RH one). I use a gear puller and Cycus bearing press. Park makes a 'kit' for this as well.