PDA

View Full Version : lbs and beer

wc1934
04-20-2012, 08:05 PM
Gimmick or new wave?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/22/nyregion/at-red-lantern-bicycles-in-fort-greene-repairs-and-beer.html?_r=1&hp

toosahn
04-20-2012, 08:12 PM
It's a good idea. Mixing food/drink/and manual activity makes for a relaxed atmosphere. I always pop open a cold one before working on my bike. It just makes it much more relaxing...

MealsOnWheels
04-20-2012, 08:14 PM
Cigar City IPA for me!

Viper
04-20-2012, 08:15 PM
I hope it fails (the concept). Guys and ladies...looking at the "cross-rocks" scene and scenery...there's way too much booze and suds in some cycling spots already. It's sad to see the races sponsored by 'Local Booze Beer Place ABC/XYZ'. We had a notion many years ago that a lot of mountain bikers were stoned in the woods, roadies were high on coffee and cross riders were a mix of both. :)

I do all my own bike work, but once in a while I'll hit up my LBS and I give the one mechanic who I'll let touch my bike, a cup of fresh java with gift certificate to the coffee place next door. Northerners, Yankees and Sox fans make fun or NASCAR as it's something rednecks just sit and drink Bud all day as cars go in a circle. Go to a cross race and it's the same thing on two wheels. Urrr, umphff, how cool, doing funnels in the woods on a bike as the (wasted) crowd hands ya a cold one. :rolleyes:

Cycling.
Less Beer.
Tastes great.

Bob Loblaw
04-20-2012, 08:43 PM
"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy."

-Ben Franklin

FlashUNC
04-20-2012, 09:39 PM
More of that kind of thing would be great.

Jaq
04-21-2012, 01:13 PM
Bikes, boards, boats, cars, planes, lathes, saws, guns, ex-girlfriend's phone-numbers and and internet forums should all follow Federal Aviation Regulation 91.17 (http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgFAR.nsf/0/28757d8ae4d7d671862571960066be86!OpenDocument).

8 hours from bottle to throttle.

weiwentg
04-21-2012, 07:22 PM
More of that kind of thing would be great.

+1, imo.

swPArider
04-21-2012, 11:13 PM
nothing wrong with having some good beer while hanging out at the lbs. beer and bikes are a perfect combination. you just gotta use some common sense and practice moderation. you don't want to ride too much because that will take away from time that would be better spent drinking!!!

stausty
04-22-2012, 08:43 AM
Bikes, boards, boats, cars, planes, lathes, saws, guns, ex-girlfriend's phone-numbers and and internet forums should all follow Federal Aviation Regulation 91.17 (http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgFAR.nsf/0/28757d8ae4d7d671862571960066be86!OpenDocument).

8 hours from bottle to throttle.

This is some pithy life advice right there.

AngryScientist
04-22-2012, 08:58 AM
It's sad to see the races sponsored by 'Local Booze Beer Place ABC/XYZ'. .

why is that bad?

Germany_chris
04-22-2012, 10:09 AM
why is that bad?

cause he say's it is..

We take cycling, bikes, the romance a bit too far in my opinion. I'm glad that BSNYC and yuhulda are out there to make fun of us and keep us grounded.

Quiring and Bells Brewery are a Michigan tradition I would hate for that not to be.

Viper
04-22-2012, 10:48 AM
A real "Pro" or "Pro Shop" wouldn't want to be affiliated with liquor, booze, in-house. No, they'd take their shop and surroundings seriously. You want a beer? Go to a bar or buy yourself some or go to the Packymart.

BMW gives you a nice cup of coffee, creamer and danish while you wait. Not beer. Beer associated with things-serious becomes a lowest common denominator; what's the least dumb-idea and let's use that as the new-standard? Please no. Bike Shops' obtaining Liquor Licenses? That is bizarre and a long, long stretch of the chain of two things that don't seem to go together. Okay, have the local Gym for workouts obtain liquor licenses or your local super market, shop for food with beer in hand. Why not let a Bike Repair Shop be that? Be what is was and what it should remain as: a place where your broken bike is fixed. Yoga, let Yoga joints add a liquor license, too? Massage therapists? Heck, shouldn't every Soigneur have a liquor license?

I went to my not-so-local Bike Shop yesterday. The FUSO has a Shimano-needed tool for the bottom bracket (I stock no Shimano tools). There is one person who I entrust my bike to, I do 98% of my own work. So I stop in to see Alex, my friend who is one of the few who understands "Campagnolo", has the tools and loves the stuff, "Because all I see nowadays is one-thing and you bring me a challenge." He is Latino, very Christian and does not drink alcohol. I know this because I brought him a case of beer many years ago as a "tip" for working on my Pinarello. "He does not drink" said his friend on that day. I was a bit embarrassed, so I gave the beer to his friend while asking him, "What does Alex like?" His friend replied, "Cafe, he loves his coffee every day. Misto cafe, grande". So off to Starbucks I went to snag a gift certificate. Alex drinks Misto Cafes, a drink I never heard of or drank. I ordered two large Misto Cafes, grabbed a gift certificate, Alex and I celebrated la bicicleta which he would then ship to TN for the 'Three State Three Mountain Challenge'.

America and Americans are stoned-out enough, high on pills and booze to the point there is an epedemic and if you disagree, listen to her....from 14:43 onward, "We are the most in debt, obese, addicted and medicated cohort is US history":

http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

Yesterday I offered Alex a "Misto Cafe" and he replied, "No mi amigo, first I fix your bike, then coffee. Don't want to be racing in my mind with coffee while I fix her."

That's my kind of wrench. He and I are the same-same.

It's about the bike.

It's not about the booze.

It's about la bicicleta.

Aside, having beer and booze sponsor a bike race is one thing, but looking at the scene, scenery and culture of the "cross-rocks" thing in New England, it's way too easy to see a bunch of grown men and women turning a Bike Race into a Beer Race/Bike Race. I'm going to a kegger and there's some bikes there, too, who-hah!

Let beer and booze be the backdrop, not the Frontman for Cycling.

Let the Hipsters shower, shave one in a while and if the booze-in-shop is their idea and their culture, the shop will eventually cater to one-kind, hipsters; what Mom or Dad or kid would feel comfy walking their bike into a shop for repair were everyone's stoned/wasted?

And Chris in Germany, I'll always state how I feel on a subject and you should, too. It's differing opinions, ideas and debates where real learning and understanding evolve. "The ultimate high is reality" said John Lennon, someone who'd been there and done that.

PS: I had the honor of a phone call from thwart yesterday whilst I was in my NSLBS (Not So Local-Local Bike Store). We talked Campy, bottom brackets and it was good to speak with my Bike Friend.

FlashUNC
04-22-2012, 11:06 AM
We take cycling, bikes, the romance a bit too far in my opinion. I'm glad that BSNYC and yuhulda are out there to make fun of us and keep us grounded.

Quiring and Bells Brewery are a Michigan tradition I would hate for that not to be.

+1. A lot of riders take the sport far too seriously. We dress up in silly clothes and pedal around a lot. If you can create a social place that has beer/coffee/whatever and fosters a greater sense of community, I'm all for it.

One local group ride here ends at one of the local pubs. Folks grab lunch and a pint or two and soft pedal home.

Viper
04-22-2012, 11:16 AM
Folks grab lunch and a pint or two and soft pedal home.

That sounds like the Bostonian Cycling Club, too. Ashame cyclists think "one or two" which is always "three or four" and then "soft pedal" equates to legal, safety and how laws therein don't apply to them. The "one of two" while driving culture ended in the 80's with the reality of DWI and MADD. It took a handful of women to say, "Enough"...which ironically was similar to the creation of National Prohibition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repeal_of_Prohibition

Now nobody isn't saying don't enjoy a beer or glass of wine. But it's the timing of the beer/wine consumption which matters.

maximus
04-22-2012, 11:18 AM
Looks like my type of place.

My wife and I stopped by Velo Cult when they were still in San diego and we had beer and talked bikes Sky. I think he said they were sponsored by New Belgium.

One of the more memorable bike shop experiences I have ever had.

AngryScientist
04-22-2012, 11:39 AM
America and Americans are stoned-out enough, high on pills and booze to the point there is an epedemic

your posts are always super long and verbose, full of obscure links that i'm pretty sure no one ever clicks on. this post of yours is particularly opinionated, with three things in particular that are your opinion that i disagree with

1) the post above. generalities like this dont help anyone. I'm an american, in america and am not stoned-out on pills and booze, are you?

2) pro's dont approve of booze in their shops, they take their work seriously - maybe some do, maybe some dont. again, you're making assumptions.

3) your "pro" mechanic doesnt drink coffee, because he doesnt want to be "high" while working on the bike - give me a break eh?

i think unless you're racing at a pro level, cycling for many of us is a way to stay in shape, have some fun and commune with great fun people, if having some booze around to add to the social aspect of thing, i'm all for it.

many of my local rides end at the pub, wouldnt have it any other way.

Germany_chris
04-22-2012, 11:44 AM
A real "Pro" or "Pro Shop" wouldn't want to be affiliated with liquor, booze, in-house. No, they'd take their shop and surroundings seriously. You want a beer? Go to a bar or buy yourself some or go to the Packymart.

BMW gives you a nice cup of coffee, creamer and danish while you wait. Not beer. Beer associated with things-serious becomes a lowest common denominator; what's the least dumb-idea and let's use that as the new-standard? Please no. Bike Shops' obtaining Liquor Licenses? That is bizarre and a long, long stretch of the chain of two things that don't seem to go together. Okay, have the local Gym for workouts obtain liquor licenses or your local super market, shop for food with beer in hand. Why not let a Bike Repair Shop be that? Be what is was and what it should remain as: a place where your broken bike is fixed. Yoga, let Yoga joints add a liquor license, too? Massage therapists? Heck, shouldn't every Soigneur have a liquor license?

I went to my not-so-local Bike Shop yesterday. The FUSO has a Shimano-needed tool for the bottom bracket (I stock no Shimano tools). There is one person who I entrust my bike to, I do 98% of my own work. So I stop in to see Alex, my friend who is one of the few who understands "Campagnolo", has the tools and loves the stuff, "Because all I see nowadays is one-thing and you bring me a challenge." He is Latino, very Christian and does not drink alcohol. I know this because I brought him a case of beer many years ago as a "tip" for working on my Pinarello. "He does not drink" said his friend on that day. I was a bit embarrassed, so I gave the beer to his friend while asking him, "What does Alex like?" His friend replied, "Cafe, he loves his coffee every day. Misto cafe, grande". So off to Starbucks I went to snag a gift certificate. Alex drinks Misto Cafes, a drink I never heard of or drank. I ordered two large Misto Cafes, grabbed a gift certificate, Alex and I celebrated la bicicleta which he would then ship to TN for the 'Three State Three Mountain Challenge'.

America and Americans are stoned-out enough, high on pills and booze to the point there is an epedemic and if you disagree, listen to her....from 14:43 onward, "We are the most in debt, obese, addicted and medicated cohort is US history":

Yesterday I offered Alex a "Misto Cafe" and he replied, "No mi amigo, first I fix your bike, then coffee. Don't want to be racing in my mind with coffee while I fix her."

It's about the bike.

It's about la bicicleta.

Aside, having beer and booze sponsor a bike race is one thing, but looking at the scene, scenery and culture of the "cross-rocks" thing in New England, it's way too easy to see a bunch of grown men and women turning a Bike Race into a Beer Race/Bike Race. I'm going to a kegger and there's some bikes there, too, who-hah!

Let the Hipsters shower, shave one in a while and if the booze-in-shop is their idea and their culture, the shop will eventually cater to one-kind, hipsters; what Mom or Dad or kid would feel comfy walking their bike into a shop for repair were everyone's stoned/wasted?

And Chris in Germany, I'll always state how I feel on a subject and you should, too. It's differing opinions, ideas and debates where real learning and understanding evolve. "The ultimate high is reality" said John Lennon, someone who'd been there and done that.

PS: I had the honor of a phone call from thwart yesterday whilst I was in my NSLBS (Not So Local-Local Bike Store). We talked Campy, bottom brackets and it was good to speak with my Bike Friend.

You can state your opinion, like I do a great deal but I will make fun of it..

I would half inclined to agree with you, if a "trained" I'd probably lay off the beer. If I went on "fast group rides" I probably would too. I race one cross race a year in early December because it's during the week and doesn't take away family time.

There are times I ride my bike only to have a beer or four the idea is to enjoy riding my bike, maybe see some folks I like at the local gasthaus, and perhaps enjoy the weather.

I don't think I've ever worked on my bike without beer since becoming legal 16 years ago. I don't think I've gone on one mountain bike ride without a beer in my Camelbak.

You'd probably call all my miles junk miles I ride for no "purpose" other than to see some stuff. I have a 1 Jersey, 1 pair of bib's, and one pair of shorts most of the time I ride in street clothes, I'm not "serious enough" I guess.

Viper
04-22-2012, 11:50 AM
your posts are always super long and verbose, full of obscure links that i'm pretty sure no one ever clicks on. this post of yours is particularly opinionated, with three things in particular that are your opinion that i disagree with

1) the post above. generalities like this dont help anyone. I'm an american, in america and am not stoned-out on pills and booze, are you?

2) pro's dont approve of booze in their shops, they take their work seriously - maybe some do, maybe some dont. again, you're making assumptions.

3) your "pro" mechanic doesnt drink coffee, because he doesnt want to be "high" while working on the bike - give me a break eh?

i think unless you're racing at a pro level, cycling for many of us is a way to stay in shape, have some fun and commune with great fun people, if having some booze around to add to the social aspect of thing, i'm all for it.

many of my local rides end at the pub, wouldnt have it any other way.

You sound angry and very opinionted above :). In my posts I don't speak about you, your (or southern ya'll) it's about the topic. Try it. :cool:

Cycling.
It's about the biking on the bike.
Less Beer.
Tastes great.

with irony: :beer:

Viper
04-22-2012, 12:01 PM
You can state your opinion, like I do a great deal but I will make fun of it..

I would half inclined to agree with you, if a "trained" I'd probably lay off the beer. If I went on "fast group rides" I probably would too. I race one cross race a year in early December because it's during the week and doesn't take away family time.

There are times I ride my bike only to have a beer or four the idea is to enjoy riding my bike, maybe see some folks I like at the local gasthaus, and perhaps enjoy the weather.

I don't think I've ever worked on my bike without beer since becoming legal 16 years ago. I don't think I've gone on one mountain bike ride without a beer in my Camelbak.

You'd probably call all my miles junk miles I ride for no "purpose" other than to see some stuff. I have a 1 Jersey, 1 pair of bib's, and one pair of shorts most of the time I ride in street clothes, I'm not "serious enough" I guess.

Invite me over for Oktoberfest! For you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oUBaCyXWNk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70YgvKHipV0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG3og36HaXU

:beer:

AngryScientist
04-22-2012, 12:05 PM
You sound angry and very opinionted above :).

yea, you're right, nothing personal, of course. :beer:

benitosan1972
04-22-2012, 12:05 PM
Beer = post ride
Beer = post work or workout
Beer = post work on your ride

Drunk cyclists & mechanics aren't pro
That being said, do whatever you want, just be safe
If you are working on a bike, pay attention to what you are doing if someone is paying for your labor, I'd expect that much at least.

Viper
04-22-2012, 12:07 PM
Beer = post ride
Beer = post work or workout
Beer = post work on your ride

Drunk cyclists & mechanics aren't pro
That being said, do whatever you want, just be safe
If you are working on a bike, pay attention to what you are doing if someone is paying for your labor, I'd expect that much at least.

I'd buy you a beer man.
Simply, I agree with you 100%.

Tonight, let it be Lowenbrau (remember these??? LOL):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oUBaCyXWNk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70YgvKHipV0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG3og36HaXU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1xicVRrgCc&feature=related

Bonus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L11fQ6-QTIc&feature=related

FlashUNC
04-22-2012, 01:39 PM
That sounds like the Bostonian Cycling Club, too. Ashame cyclists think "one or two" which is always "three or four" and then "soft pedal" equates to legal, safety and how laws therein don't apply to them. The "one of two" while driving culture ended in the 80's with the reality of DWI and MADD. It took a handful of women to say, "Enough"...which ironically was similar to the creation of National Prohibition:

Now nobody isn't saying don't enjoy a beer or glass of wine. But it's the timing of the beer/wine consumption which matters.

You're pushing the point to absurdity. I've done the ride for the last three years, and never seen anyone drink to the point where they couldn't stand, or ride the three or four blocks back to their homes on quiet residential streets. Most folks are so shelled after 50 miles of hammerfest that one or two is all anyone's stomach can really tolerate.

There's a huge situational difference between granny gearing it home with dead legs after two pints, and getting into a 2-ton mass of metal powered by hundreds of horsepower.

Kontact
04-22-2012, 01:56 PM
So legal stimulant drugs are good hospitality, and legal depressants are evil? No wonder we ended up with Prohibition.

American's silly Puritan thing makes everything involving booze and sex so dramatic! So we have to worry when anyone opens a beer because it is either somehow inappropriate, or because it is taboo we expect anyone who does drink to over do it (and often, you'd be right).

In many countries a beer at lunch is simply not an issue. People operating dangerous machinery at high speeds shouldn't be doing it, but the idea that a single drink is going to make a stock broker or retail clerk unable to do their work at 100% is a very American way of looking at things.

Bike shops have become casual hangout spots, just like book stores. Offering beverages and snacks for sale sounds like good business. Taking issue with which drugs are in each beverage is a little too brother's keeper for me, but I guess we don't yet have coffee licences.

I'm a little shocked the FAA rule is only 8 hours. The military's is 12 hours to brief or preflight.

Viper
04-22-2012, 03:52 PM
You're pushing the point to absurdity. I've done the ride for the last three years, and never seen anyone drink to the point where they couldn't stand, or ride the three or four blocks back to their homes on quiet residential streets. Most folks are so shelled after 50 miles of hammerfest that one or two is all anyone's stomach can really tolerate.

There's a huge situational difference between granny gearing it home with dead legs after two pints, and getting into a 2-ton mass of metal powered by hundreds of horsepower.

Not being able to "stand" isn't the stuff DWI Laws are made from.

So legal stimulant drugs are good hospitality, and legal depressants are evil? No wonder we ended up with Prohibition.

American's silly Puritan thing makes everything involving booze and sex so dramatic! So we have to worry when anyone opens a beer because it is either somehow inappropriate, or because it is taboo we expect anyone who does drink to over do it (and often, you'd be right).

In many countries a beer at lunch is simply not an issue. People operating dangerous machinery at high speeds shouldn't be doing it, but the idea that a single drink is going to make a stock broker or retail clerk unable to do their work at 100% is a very American way of looking at things. Bike shops have become casual hangout spots, just like book stores. Offering beverages and snacks for sale sounds like good business. Taking issue with which drugs are in each beverage is a little too brother's keeper for me, but I guess we don't yet have coffee licences.

I'm a little shocked the FAA rule is only 8 hours. The military's is 12 hours to brief or preflight.

Kontact, when you falsely believe the United States is too conservative with alcohol and driving/operating machinery/riding a bike etc, the facts here on this Global Blood Alcohol Content will prove to you the Unites States is one of the liberal leaders:

http://www.driveandstayalive.com/articles%20and%20topics/drunk%20driving/artcl--drunk-driving-0005--global-BAC-limits.htm

Global Blood Alcohol Content - Highlights for factual proof America is liberal with BAC versus the World:
United States: .08 (now in all states)
Albania: .01
Belgium: .05
China: .03
Denmark: .05
Germany: .05
Italy: .05
Norway: .02
Poland: .02
Spain: .05
Sweden: .02

Was hoping someone would raise the 'other culture' thing. Sweden. Alcohol? I do forsee America following Sweden, whose automotive fatalities are shockingly low, cars are examined for smog-checks thoroughly (we're going green finally) and most importantly, look at their BAC (blood alcohol content) levels versus the supposed "uptight" or "Puritan" Yankee-Americans:

"Already Sweden has one of the lowest traffic fatality rates in the world. But according to the Swedish government, this is not enough.

In 1977, the Swedish parliament passed “Vision Zero,” a national goal to achieve zero traffic fatalities or severe injuries. They’ve already made progress. In the 1970s, Sweden had approximately 1,200 traffic fatalities per year. In 2001, the country suffered fewer than 600 fatalities even though traffic had increased three-fold since the ‘70s.

Some of the rules Sweden has in place to make driving safer include a graduated driver training process, starting with a learner’s permit at age 16 and ending with a full driver’s license at age 18. There are stiff drunk driving laws that punish driving with a blood-alcohol level above 0.02 percent (roughly equal to one bottle of light beer or a whiff of 180-proof Aquavit) with a fine and temporary license suspension. Driving with a blood-alcohol level above 0.10 percent will get you thrown in prison, your license suspended, and you’ll have to take a driving test to get a new license.

And there are also mandatory auto safety inspections. Much like our smog tests, Sweden requires every car to undergo an annual multi-point safety inspection. Cars that don’t pass don’t pass Go."

http://www.thecarconnection.com/tips-article/1004524_figuring-swedens-safety-obsession

Germany_chris
04-22-2012, 04:04 PM

Kontact, when you falsely believe the United States is too conservative with alcohol and driving/operating machinery/riding a bike etc, the facts here on this Global Blood Alcohol Content will prove to you the Unites States is one of the liberal leaders:

http://www.driveandstayalive.com/articles%20and%20topics/drunk%20driving/artcl--drunk-driving-0005--global-BAC-limits.htm

Global Blood Alcohol Content - Highlights for factual proof America is liberal with BAC versus the World:

Was hoping someone would raise the 'other culture' thing. Sweden. Alcohol? I do forsee America following Sweden, whose automotive fatalities are shockingly low, cars are examined for smog-checks thoroughly (we're going green finally) and most importantly, look at their BAC (blood alcohol content) levels versus the supposed "uptight" or "Puritan" Yankee-Americans:

"Already Sweden has one of the lowest traffic fatality rates in the world. But according to the Swedish government, this is not enough.

In 1977, the Swedish parliament passed “Vision Zero,” a national goal to achieve zero traffic fatalities or severe injuries. They’ve already made progress. In the 1970s, Sweden had approximately 1,200 traffic fatalities per year. In 2001, the country suffered fewer than 600 fatalities even though traffic had increased three-fold since the ‘70s.

Some of the rules Sweden has in place to make driving safer include a graduated driver training process, starting with a learner’s permit at age 16 and ending with a full driver’s license at age 18. There are stiff drunk driving laws that punish driving with a blood-alcohol level above 0.02 percent (roughly equal to one bottle of light beer or a whiff of 180-proof Aquavit) with a fine and temporary license suspension. Driving with a blood-alcohol level above 0.10 percent will get you thrown in prison, your license suspended, and you’ll have to take a driving test to get a new license.

And there are also mandatory auto safety inspections. Much like our smog tests, Sweden requires every car to undergo an annual multi-point safety inspection. Cars that don’t pass don’t pass Go."

http://www.thecarconnection.com/tips-article/1004524_figuring-swedens-safety-obsession

He's talking about the culture not BAC statistics.

Yes here people are generally allowed 2 beers at lunch, that would make a total of 1L.

Yes Europe DUI laws are more strenuous but here there is no driving until 18, but beer and wine at 16 so you tend to get the drink until you fall down out of your system before you get a license.

You will find many oldsters will do in essence pub crawls on Saturday afternoons, they drink beer, eat, and socialize at many of the little gasthaus's in the area.

Finally beer in Bavaria is a staple food.

Kontact
04-22-2012, 04:05 PM

You have misunderstood my post, sir.

I believe that US citizens both criticize AND over-imbibe because we have a stupid attitude about alcohol. Cultures with a more easy-going approach both drink less and regulate it less. It is only when societies highlight something as a vice that it turns into a vice.

I do, occasionally, have a single beer at the end of the day while still working on a bike. And there's nothing wrong with that from a safety or moral sense. And if a customer wants to join me, there's nothing wrong with that, either.

FlashUNC
04-22-2012, 04:19 PM

So we're strict on DWI in one thought, and too liberal on it in another. Which is it?

apeescape
04-22-2012, 06:51 PM
I agree with Kontact, one beer while building a bike after hours has been some of the best parts about working at a shop. The cool customers (who dont bring stuff from online or ask me to discount my labor) sometimes will stay after too indulge as well. We just had a 10 year anniversary and had our own beer brewed and bottled for the event. Most of the time your LBS mechanic is an under appreciated and under paid wealth of knowledge and skill and a frosty beer is a nice way to end the day of arguing with customers who think they know everything because they read it online.

mbakes
04-22-2012, 07:40 PM
Cigar City IPA for me!

X2. I was at CCB this weekend.

There used to be a local shop here that had a coffee bar in the store. I always thought that was a cool idea and being a beer geek thought a couple of taps in a bike shop would be cool. Three passions all in one place.

fuzzalow
04-22-2012, 09:40 PM
This is a good idea. Anything that boosts the revenue and margins of a bike shop is a welcome thing. Doubt that the mere presence of beer is a presage for the onset of low-life scum and moral depravity.

The margins in retail bike shops are not generous, ex servicing & repairs. So if the beer & coffee profits increase survivability, what is not to like? I am puzzled about the volume of beer that must be sold to meet the cost of obtaining the beer license, the state doesn't give then away for cheap. Just guessing as I don't know ding about jumping the hoops to get a beer license.

choke
04-22-2012, 10:24 PM
Finally beer in Bavaria is a staple food.You have to work hard to find someplace in Germany where you can't buy beer. Even the US Embassy in Bonn sold beer and wine in the lunchroom and beer was available in a soda machine in the hallway. I attended a couple of organized shooting matches which had a beer tent that would make a county fair proud. Of course the rule was no drinking until you were done firing, and unlike how it would have probably worked here, there no one tried to sneak one in early.I believe that US citizens both criticize AND over-imbibe because we have a stupid attitude about alcohol. Cultures with a more easy-going approach both drink less and regulate it less. It is only when societies highlight something as a vice that it turns into a vice.Bingo. :beer:

Bob Loblaw
04-23-2012, 08:11 AM
We Americans need to relax about a lot of stuff and shift our priorities in others. We don't bat an eye when crime and shooting sprees populate our television shows and our movie heroes are violent social outcasts, but god forbid anyone gets a glimpse of Janet Jackson's nipple. :no:

Call me naive, but mostly people who survive their twenties end up with good judgement about alcohol. There are people with problems with alcohol, of course, and they do a lot of damage and cause a lot of misery, but I don't think the solution to that problem is to pretend prohibition worked.

BL

GuyGadois
04-23-2012, 08:55 AM
I only drink if I decide to wear my iPod and then I'll bring my concealed weapon just to be on the safe side.

GG

William
04-23-2012, 09:02 AM
I only drink if I decide to wear my iPod and then I'll bring my concealed weapon just to be on the safe side.

GG

That would be a bad call, Ripley. A bad call. ;)

William

craptacular
04-23-2012, 09:03 AM
Drink up if you're working on my bike. (http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/338406/title/Vodka_delivers_shot_of_creativity) Also, a large problem with our laws is that we "have" to drive to a lot of places. Public transportation in the US is deplorable. Not an excuse for driving drunk, but we should focus on getting people home safely.

Mr Cabletwitch
04-23-2012, 09:42 AM
I own a golf course and have a bar and restaurant attached to my pro shop, so why shouldn't a bike shop. Sounds like fun he addresses the issue of getting people drunk and tempting them to steal after the shop is closed with the chainlink fence. We have to do the same thing at the golf course except I have a nice wire gate I have to pull down when I close up just the pro shop, so that nobody is tempted to steal after a few drinks.

Viper
04-23-2012, 10:26 AM
I own a golf course and have a bar and restaurant attached to my pro shop, so why shouldn't a bike shop. Sounds like fun he addresses the issue of getting people drunk and tempting them to steal after the shop is closed with the chainlink fence. We have to do the same thing at the golf course except I have a nice wire gate I have to pull down when I close up just the pro shop, so that nobody is tempted to steal after a few drinks.

I thought about the golf comparison (and very cool you own a course btw :) ). As a former-scratch, now +5, lifelong golfer...there are two types of golfers. The one who drinks beer as he/she golfs. I do not know the legality of this as the driving golf cart is a machine one operates/drives? Moreover, I do not know the legality of consuming alcohol while actually golfing...if one is drunk and they get hurt on your course or hurt someone else by accident?

Lastly, there is the golfer, a sportsman who plays all eighteen holes without booze and after the round is completed, he/she hits the infamous, "Nineteenth Hole."

I don't see how a bar fits into a Bike Shop. Then again I don't see how golf carts often become a bar on four wheels. I do see and enjoy a cold beer after I've played a round or after I've ridden my bike.

I understand different cultures, even within America, handle booze differently. In Texas, if you hit up their local "mall" and want some Tony Lama boots, it's not strange to be offered a beer in the store (this from one of my southern friends).

If beer gets into Bike Shops, I will blame or attribute this to two people: Hipsters and Steve Jobs.

Bob Loblaw
04-23-2012, 11:25 AM
As long as you don't listen to Black Sabbath. That music turns normal, well adjusted people into screaming, blood drinking, Twilight-watching devil worshippers.

GG

Viper
04-23-2012, 12:39 PM
As long as you don't listen to Black Sabbath. That music turns normal, well adjusted people into screaming, blood drinking, Twilight-watching devil worshippers.

Vampires are real.
Vampires wear Rapha.
Vampires drink Killians Irish Red at their LBS (but only after dusk).
. .
vv

PS: Hipster Vampires also <3 IPA (they love pale skin).

flydhest
04-23-2012, 01:47 PM
Lastly, there is the golfer, a sportsman who plays all eighteen holes without booze and after the round is completed, he/she hits the infamous, "Nineteenth Hole."

I don't see how a bar fits into a Bike Shop. Then again I don't see how golf carts often become a bar on four wheels. I do see and enjoy a cold beer after I've played a round or after I've ridden my bike.

I used to run a shop ride. Every so often, the owners would have a cookout afterward. Made a lot of sense, and for me, after a ride, a beer is often a good thing (particularly this time of year when I can do it while watching spring classics). I could easily see having a beer at the shop at the end of the ride as a regular event.

I almost always have a beer while doing my own wrenching, as well.

Beer and bikes . . . alliteration cannot be wrong.

ClutchCargo
04-23-2012, 01:54 PM
I only drink if I decide to wear my iPod and then I'll ditch my helmet and bring my concealed weapon just to be on the safe side.

GG

There. Fixed it.

On a side note, I believe I'd have second thoughts about letting anybody named Chombo work on my bike. Apologies I couldn't find any youtube "Chombo" videos. Oh, crap, there actually are some! Oh, well, here goes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED_pU2oDnug

William
04-23-2012, 01:57 PM
There. Fixed it.

On a side note, I believe I'd have second thoughts about letting anybody named Chombo work on my bike. Apologies I couldn't find any youtube "Chombo" videos. Oh, crap, there actually are some! Oh, well, here goes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED_pU2oDnug

"Uh oh! Chombo!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ql7dIIItdo

William

PS: Or was that "Chongo!?!?!

binxnyrwarrsoul
04-23-2012, 04:12 PM

Funny, I've been listening to Sabbath for over 25 years.

learningtoride
04-23-2012, 11:06 PM
=

cycle_chic
04-23-2012, 11:51 PM
I dropped off a six-pack of Sierra Nevada at my LBS today in exchange for a hands-on tutorial on how to properly install valve extenders. The guys seemed very appreciative, and now I can run deep-dish without a problem.

I know it's after the fact, but what's the consensus? Is what I did considered stupid? Should I just bring cookies next time?

Germany_chris
04-24-2012, 12:27 AM
The consensus is we don't have consensus.

firerescuefin
04-24-2012, 12:31 AM
I dropped off a six-pack of Sierra Nevada at my LBS today in exchange for a hands-on tutorial on how to properly install valve extenders. The guys seemed very appreciative, and now I can run deep-dish without a problem.

I know it's after the fact, but what's the consensus? Is what I did considered stupid? Should I just bring cookies next time?

I doudt they'd turn down either. :cool:

efleigh
04-24-2012, 02:08 AM
i know its personal opinion, but i felt this whole post should be re-posted. "true that" to everything (viper) said here.

It's about the bike.

It's about la bicicleta.

fuzzalow
04-24-2012, 06:56 AM
i know its personal opinion, but i felt this whole post should be re-posted. "true that" to everything (viper) said here.

Okay, okay okay. I give. No mas.

roydyates
04-24-2012, 07:41 AM
Everytime i see this thread get bumped back to the top, I think maybe beer is keeping me from losing the 10 lbs I usually drop in the spring.

AngryScientist
04-24-2012, 07:54 AM
Everytime i see this thread get bumped back to the top, I think maybe beer is keeping me from losing the 10 lbs I usually drop in the spring.

impossible.