PDA

View Full Version : Yet another ebay Serotta purchase

sokyroadie
04-20-2012, 06:03 PM
I recently bought a new Classique Ti Cross frame and have a couple of questions.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180859833200?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The s/n is CT X00598 - which seems odd, the geometry is as shown below. I didn't realize that a 54.5 ST (58cm to top of seattube) with not a lot of slope to the TT would be as tall as it is. I mocked it up and everything looks great - except there won't be much seatpost exposed (2.5"-3") and I won't have a lot of standover with larger tires maybe 1/2". This is not going to be used for racing so I don't think it will matter.

Your thoughts are welcome.

Thanks,
Jeff

oliver1850
04-20-2012, 06:45 PM
If your normal road Serotta size is 54, you're going to lose some standover due to BB height on a CX frame.

The X0 indicates it's a 2010 frame. X1 would be a 2011. I haven't heard it discussed, but my guess is that the 598 means it's the 598th Serotta built in 2010, regardless of model.

CNY rider
04-20-2012, 06:50 PM
Yeah most of the road bikes have 8 cm BB drop, so right there the TT got 1.5 cm closer to your boys........

Grant McLean
04-20-2012, 07:15 PM
Your thoughts are welcome.

Two thoughts, first looks like a shallow seat angle for a frame this size,
you might consider a low (15mm) or zero offset post.

Second, looks like it doesn't have a fork? If that's the case, i'd recommend
going with something with at least 47mm of offset. The 72 head angle is not
particularly steep, the 'stock' geo of a 45mm fork results in a lot of trail,
and very slow steering in the front end.

fogrider
04-21-2012, 11:11 PM
with a cross bike you're suppose to dismount and remount, not stand over it. the question is how fits when riding. good luck.

jpw
04-22-2012, 09:21 AM
Yeah most of the road bikes have 8 cm BB drop, so right there the TT got 1.5 cm closer to your boys........

Yup, and the cross tire elevates the tt even more.

djg
04-22-2012, 10:55 AM
I don't see the issue, unless it's just your sense of aesthetics.

The standover is basically irrelevant, except as a rough indicator of saddle height. If you are racing, a high bb (which some cross frames have -- maybe higher than what you have) plus a given bb to saddle height, means a relatively high saddle -- relatively high off the ground. So that's potentially an issue for doing running mounts, on rough ground or mud, when you are gassed, although maybe just not a big deal if you're talking about an extra cm or two.

If you are not racing, the basic issue is the same, but the "no big deal" is even smaller. You can still mount and dismount the bike fine, but mounting can be done more deliberately, and probably under better conditions.

If it fits otherwise, I don't see a problem.