PDA

View Full Version : Overshoes

jpw
04-20-2012, 10:40 AM
Is a zippered closure the best design for waterproof/ resistant overshoes, and where is the best place for the zipper to be? I've seen different overshoes with zippers up the back, up the inside, and up the outside.

Vinci
04-20-2012, 10:43 AM
I have a couple pairs for when I get stuck riding home in the rain and they all zip up the back. The design works fine. There is a flap inside the overshoe, under the zipper, to keep water off your feet if it works through the zipper. By the time you worry about that, though, you've probably already gotten your feet wet through different entry points.

Likes2ridefar
04-20-2012, 10:46 AM
I've never found any that are waterproof but some of that is water leaking from above. tough to plug all the holes where water may sneak in.

i prefer zipper since most velcro are a PITA to put on but i think velcro is maybe more waterproof.

if they used zippers like high end jackets that have the laminate over the zipper, and perhaps they already do, then i'd say go zipper!

benb
04-20-2012, 01:00 PM
Much of my use of these is in winter.. so I do not like zippers, as they get destroyed by road salt.

Velcro has been better for me.

Likes2ridefar
04-20-2012, 01:04 PM
Much of my use of these is in winter.. so I do not like zippers, as they get destroyed by road salt.

I must admit I quickly forget that when not wearing them. I've had every zippered pair fail due to the salt, and it's extremely frustrating having to rinse them nearly every day since the zipper gets so sticky it barely works.

jpw
04-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Good salt points - I hadn't considered that.

wasfast
04-20-2012, 01:53 PM
Zippers suck because they fail relatively early in life for a host of different reasons. I've had much better luck with full length Velcro.

Leakage from the top is, by far, the biggest knob for waterproof. leakage from seams, zippers, openings on the sole side, none are even remotely a contributor compared to around the top cuff.

I'll also make my standard reply that I've never found a bootie that worked well in rain. The cheapest and most robust solution for me is thin product bags over the shoe, under the bootie and twisted tight around the leg. The tights hold the bag in place. Best of all, it's recycling.

AngryScientist
04-20-2012, 01:56 PM

i agree with this. what happens to me is they get covered in salty gook from the roads, then when i get home after a damp ride, i'm cold, tired, and just want to get out of my damned cycling shoes and into the hot shower. pull the jammed zipper too hard and bam!, busted zipper. has happened to two pairs of shoe covers for me. i stick with velcro now, just tear 'em off...

Likes2ridefar
04-20-2012, 02:06 PM
. pull the jammed zipper too hard and bam!, busted zipper

I've done the exact same thing. I'm not sure which is worse...jammed zippers or tangled wires that I swore were folded nicely after their last use.

teleguy57
04-20-2012, 02:30 PM
I use a velcroed neoprene bootie in the winter (I'm in WI so I mean real winter, not 25-40 degree balmy conditions... :) ) and I'm really liking my Pro Tarmac H2O booties for cool/wet conditions (over freezing). I have a pair of Showers Pass Roadie Pants to fit my middle, which means they're a hair on the long side -- wear them outside/over the booties and voila, no issues with water running into them. Don't know if there's a dork factor for tights over booties, but if so I'm a dry-footed dork.