PDA

View Full Version : Zipp 440 or Old wheelset question in general

nebraskacycling
04-20-2012, 08:00 AM
I was just gifted an old Zipp 440 front tubular. Between 13 and 16 years old. I'm trying to pick up a near matching rear to build up some race wheels. I've looked on craigslist and all the other forums I know and typically see these going really cheap. I wonder if it is even worth the time or money to glue on good tires and race these (assuming I find a decent rear). I have researched them a bit and found the older 440 model (green stickers) had a lot of issues with the nipples pulling through. My front doesn't have that issue (less stress on front wheels), but I think any older rear (10+ years old) will be likely to encounter this issue soon. Looking for input on whether I should make an investment to use this front and possibly get a rear wheel. Thanks. I should mention I just got my first set of tubular cross wheels a month ago so I'm new to gluing and new to carbon wheels. I'm also a poor recent college grad not looking to spend much or any money on marginal cycling advancements.

oldpotatoe
04-20-2012, 08:07 AM
I was just gifted an old Zipp 440 front tubular. Between 13 and 16 years old. I'm trying to pick up a near matching rear to build up some race wheels. I've looked on craigslist and all the other forums I know and typically see these going really cheap. I wonder if it is even worth the time or money to glue on good tires and race these (assuming I find a decent rear). I have researched them a bit and found the older 440 model (green stickers) had a lot of issues with the nipples pulling through. My front doesn't have that issue (less stress on front wheels), but I think any older rear (10+ years old) will be likely to encounter this issue soon. Looking for input on whether I should make an investment to use this front and possibly get a rear wheel. Thanks. I should mention I just got my first set of tubular cross wheels a month ago so I'm new to gluing and new to carbon wheels. I'm also a poor recent college grad not looking to spend much or any money on marginal cycling advancements.

If it's in good shape, just race the front with any rear..racing, don't need to match. Cross is over, glue on a road tubie on the 'cross' rear-go race.

FastforaSlowGuy
04-20-2012, 08:13 AM
I raced on some old 440s for 2009-2011. The front had been sitting in my garage for a decade and a half, and the rear came from eBay. I did break one spoke in rear (I weigh about 160), but they rode fine. The brake track isn't as nice as newer models, but they seemed pretty fast and light.

nebraskacycling
04-20-2012, 08:16 AM
If it's in good shape, just race the front with any rear..racing, don't need to match. Cross is over, glue on a road tubie on the 'cross' rear-go race.

The wheels I found were Major Toms (wider) and definitely non-aero. I don't see much advantage of those over my current clincher setup. Especially since the removal of the challenge grifo may possibly ruin a tire that was only used for one season (with my lack of tubular skills).

I may just race with the front. I do see a few guys with mismatched wheels. I guess that way I could still use power for races since I still have a wired powertap.

nebraskacycling
04-20-2012, 08:17 AM
I raced on some old 440s for 2009-2011. The front had been sitting in my garage for a decade and a half, and the rear came from eBay. I did break one spoke in rear (I weigh about 160), but they rode fine. The brake track isn't as nice as newer models, but they seemed pretty fast and light.

Cool I'm excited to try the front out. Don't still have those laying around by chance? ;)

nebraskacycling
04-20-2012, 06:07 PM
Also it is missing one of the end caps. I thought it wouldn't be too hard to find something that would fit, but I am having trouble. This is the front hub: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZIPP-Model-100-217-Hubs-18-28-Hole-Carbon-Fiber-NOS-REDUCED-Free-Shipping-/120572576866?_trksid=p3286.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3D LVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7863250527064873185
I wonder if there is something similar that will fit or if I can change out the whole axle without spending too much. Thanks

FastforaSlowGuy
04-21-2012, 07:52 AM
I sold them with my tri bike a few months back.