PDA

View Full Version : Signature Cycles looking for help.

AngryScientist
04-20-2012, 06:17 AM
This would be a dream job for me if I wasnt over committed already, maybe someone here can snatch this up. one of the best shops around...

http://roadjournal.signaturecycles.com/2012/04/help-wanted-looking-to-replace-me/

laupsi
04-20-2012, 07:18 AM
went to Majorca w/this company in March. met them for first time after landing and had no notion of who they were. the time spent w/them on this trip will forever be w/me. Paul Levine and Blake, the two who traveled for Sigature, are two outstanding individuals; professionally and personally. what an ideal company, what a dream job! :)

jr59
04-20-2012, 07:24 AM
I'm not moving ANYWHERE that it gets cold.

No snow for me!

Ti Designs
04-20-2012, 07:54 AM
Lastly, the thing that brings us all together – a strong desire to ride your bike – is highly desirable.

Lastly? Desirable?? Really???

happycampyer
04-20-2012, 08:07 AM
Lastly? Desirable?? Really???I think if you knew Soren you would understand just how tongue-in-cheek that comment is. Finding a replacement of Soren's caliber is going to be a challenge.

Bob Ross
04-20-2012, 08:31 AM
Lastly? Desirable?? Really???

Well, you don't want it to be too desireable or else the potential employee will be desiring that instead of focusing on his job!

54ny77
04-20-2012, 08:48 AM
Soren is extraordinarily good people.

Ti Designs
04-20-2012, 09:16 AM
Well, you don't want it to be too desireable or else the potential employee will be desiring that instead of focusing on his job!

We're at a point right now where fit schools are turning out fitters who never see the real world results of what they do. The first time I rode with someone I fit I removed myself from our fitting department. It wasn't that my fittings were any worse than anyone else's, it was that I got a glimpse of how little bike fit matters if the rider doesn't understand basic posture on the bike. I now have a feedback loop, I ride with at least one person I fit each week so I have a feel for what people are understanding during the fitting process. Based on the claims I'm seeing - they use the term "perfect position" a lot, and the riders out there, someone's not seeing the whole picture.

There is a problem with that. There is zero emphasis on riding at fit schools, it's like that old saying about gym teachers... When a fitter is working, they act as the authority on fit and riding. That position of authority goes away if they wobble down the road like a drunk. My point here is that if you expect to teach someone else how it's done, you should be able to do it yourself first. I'm pretty sure all of my math teachers knew how to do math. Then we get into the argument on the other side, which is about speed. Every time I start coaching a new rider there's a short "test the coach" period. I have to maintain my fitness 'cause I coach young racers, but this really has nothing to do with understanding fit. The goal in taking the fitting out on the road is to get them to slow down and make it all work for them. Faster isn't the goal, the same speed more comfortable and easier is - the fitter should be the perfect example of this. Once in a while you'll get the rider who just thinks fast is the only test, only then is it OK to rip their legs off - my make it look easy.

cfox
04-20-2012, 10:39 AM
We're at a point right now where fit schools are turning out fitters who never see the real world results of what they do. The first time I rode with someone I fit I removed myself from our fitting department. It wasn't that my fittings were any worse than anyone else's, it was that I got a glimpse of how little bike fit matters if the rider doesn't understand basic posture on the bike. I now have a feedback loop, I ride with at least one person I fit each week so I have a feel for what people are understanding during the fitting process. Based on the claims I'm seeing - they use the term "perfect position" a lot, and the riders out there, someone's not seeing the whole picture.

There is a problem with that. There is zero emphasis on riding at fit schools, it's like that old saying about gym teachers... When a fitter is working, they act as the authority on fit and riding. That position of authority goes away if they wobble down the road like a drunk. My point here is that if you expect to teach someone else how it's done, you should be able to do it yourself first. I'm pretty sure all of my math teachers knew how to do math. Then we get into the argument on the other side, which is about speed. Every time I start coaching a new rider there's a short "test the coach" period. I have to maintain my fitness 'cause I coach young racers, but this really has nothing to do with understanding fit. The goal in taking the fitting out on the road is to get them to slow down and make it all work for them. Faster isn't the goal, the same speed more comfortable and easier is - the fitter should be the perfect example of this. Once in a while you'll get the rider who just thinks fast is the only test, only then is it OK to rip their legs off - my make it look easy.
I don't think you are...but just in case...you aren't implying that Soren, or anyone at Signature, resembles anything like you've described above, right? They are a wonderful group of folks who know their *****, ride a lot with their customers/fit clients, and (refreshingly, thankfully) display none of the absurd attitude displayed at most shops.

fourflys
04-20-2012, 10:55 AM
I'm not moving ANYWHERE that it gets cold.

No snow for me!

plus they probably have hills there... at least ones bigger than Monkey Hill at the Zoo... Who Dat? :D

(spent 2 yrs in NOLA when I first joined the CG)

jerome
04-21-2012, 02:35 AM
I do agree

I grew up here in Europe in the south of France and I had to ride with old school frame builders French and Italian.
In the early 90's italian builders were making frames after having rolling you on your bike for hours, it was true for every body here we were all crossing the border or near so to get a deal and a great bike. It was before EU union and italian were cheap.
Now some have marketed the stuff too much science is good but it should keep in touch with experience and real life. try for everything nowadays.
Do you know the story about Lance Armstrong 1 million $ bike ?

best

jr59
04-21-2012, 07:40 AM
plus they probably have hills there... at least ones bigger than Monkey Hill at the Zoo... Who Dat? :D

(spent 2 yrs in NOLA when I first joined the CG)

Mount Levee! :eek: :banana:

RacerJRP
04-21-2012, 08:38 AM
I raced for Signature Cycles for 2 or 3 seasons a few years back and they are very good people (Lori, Paul, Soren).

My co-worker would be PERFECT for this position so I think I'll have him send a letter over as he has been looking for a change of pace.

Thanks for the heads up!

Smiley
04-21-2012, 08:41 AM
Finding a replacement of Soren's caliber is going to be a challenge.

That is the truth for sure.

54ny77
04-21-2012, 08:53 AM
Soren story: took a wheel over to him for a quick look-see to see if he could find out what was making an oddball sound. Left it with him and figured I'd check back in a few days or so.

Turns out one of the many things he ended up doing was taking out each ball bearing from the hub and measuring with a micrometer to see if it was out of round, thus causing a strange resonance within the wheel.

THAT is attention to detail, Soren-style. :cool:

fourflys
04-21-2012, 10:15 AM
Mount Levee! :eek: :banana:

my riding buddy from here got transferred with UPS back to NOLA a couple years ago... needless to say he misses the hills of SoCal a bit...

I would love to put together a plantation ride along the river though... I think that would be awesome as long as the rednecks don't run you off the road... I wasn't riding when I was there before so I have no idea how drivers treat you there... I do miss me some JazzFest though! Laissez les bon temps rouler!

jr59
04-21-2012, 10:34 AM
my riding buddy from here got transferred with UPS back to NOLA a couple years ago... needless to say he misses the hills of SoCal a bit...

I would love to put together a plantation ride along the river though... I think that would be awesome as long as the rednecks don't run you off the road... I wasn't riding when I was there before so I have no idea how drivers treat you there... I do miss me some JazzFest though! Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Jazz fest next week, well the next couple of weeks.

http://lineup.nojazzfest.com/

Yea it's not all that bad living here.

The city has done a LOT of things to improve the city for bicycle travel.
Plenty of new bike lanes and a lot of reforms to allow cyclist room to park and ride. The streets are still a little rough, still from the storm/flood of 5 years ago. The main streets get work on first and I an understand this.

No hills! I can easily ride a 300k with less than 500 feet of climbing. Without trying hard. Yet plenty of smooth roads and we have the levee which will very soon extend over 100 miles one way. All the way to Batton rouge. Not to many walkers or kids on skateboards. Just smooth no traffic riding.

I live car free here and I like it a lot. I don't miss driving at all and thought I would. BTW; Car free because I want to be, not because some judge told me I had to be. :p
That and I can ride all year here, NO cold weather to speak of. :banana: