PDA

View Full Version : Garmin HR Monitor & Crazy Data

jdhansen63
04-19-2012, 02:46 PM
Anyone ever have problems with their Garmin HR monitor giving bogus HR values. Here are a couple examples of what I'm seeing. FYI, my max HR is ~180.
Scenario 1: I'll be training at 140 bpm and it will jump to ~275. Sometimes it'll stays there for a few seconds, sometimes a few weeks before it works itself out.
Scenario 2: I'll be training at 140 bpm and all the sudden it will jump to 155 for a few seconds, then back to 140, then to 125 and back to 140 ...

I should mention that my current HR monitor is a replacement for my last one that I returned with the same problem. I've also paired it with different head units and they get the same HR readings.

Anyone else have similar experiences? What was your resolution?

zmudshark
04-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Is this outside? Is a jersey perhaps flapping on the strap? This is a known issue, if your problem fits those situations.
Wetting the strap, and wearing under a base layer can help.

Nooch
04-19-2012, 02:54 PM
couple different things could be happening.. let's start here..

1) What kind of jersey are you wearing when it happens? Is it loose? Does it flap against your chest at all? A flapping jersey/vest/whatever may cause wonky readings.

2) Which strap are you using? The premium strap, the plastic strap?

Possible solutions, garmin advised me to install the battery backwards will reset the unit, but I hadn't had luck with that in the past. Other solutions you could try, if you have the plastic strap, order the premium cloth strap. If you have the premium cloth strap, try ordering the polar wearlink+ strap -- it has the same snap attachment as the garmin strap and is generally better constructed if you take good care of it -- i neglected mine and it stopped being so great..

also, wet it, tighten it -- it should be snug to your breast plate.

toolman605
04-19-2012, 02:58 PM
Three possibilites...

Not enough moisture between you and the HR monitor contacts. If this happens just when you are starting out you need to get the contacts wet before you put it on. Gross I know but I use spit on mine. You can also buy ultrasound contact gel that pretty much does the same thing.

Synthetic shirts - the new tech fabrics create static when they move around which can cause havoc w/ HR monitors. If you are wearing a jersey that is more loose that others this may contribute to the problem.

Power lines - If you ride under poser lines since the strap is sending the signal to the monitor it can get scrambled by electrical interference.

(two more very unlikely ones) the strap isn't tight enough and is flopping around and breaking contact w/ your skin and I've heard of people who are really - really hairy not getting a good reading.

If it really concerns you and none of the above clear up the problem then I'd go see a doctor.
Good Luck!
Dave

jdhansen63
04-19-2012, 02:59 PM
I first noticed it doing a training workout at home (I initially thought it might be bluetooth or WiFi interference) but since then I've had it happen outdoors too. Sweating is something I do exceptionally well, so I'm sure it stays moist during workouts/rides. My jerseys are race cut, so I don't think flapping is an issue, and I usually have a base layer on when riding outside.
Is this outside? Is a jersey perhaps flapping on the strap? This is a known issue, if your problem fits those situations.
Wetting the strap, and wearing under a base layer can help.

Nooch
04-19-2012, 03:02 PM
based on the sweat comment, how often do you wash the strap? you could just have corroded the terminals and might be time for replacement? depending on if garmin sent you a new strap as well as a new transmitter?

jdhansen63
04-19-2012, 03:11 PM
Three possibilites...

Not enough moisture between you and the HR monitor contacts. If this happens just when you are starting out you need to get the contacts wet before you put it on. Gross I know but I use spit on mine. You can also buy ultrasound contact gel that pretty much does the same thing.
Yep, I do the spit thing.
Synthetic shirts - the new tech fabrics create static when they move around which can cause havoc w/ HR monitors. If you are wearing a jersey that is more loose that others this may contribute to the problem.
I do use synthetic shirt when I do a trainer workout. I'll try a baselayer under it and see if it fixes the problem.
Power lines - If you ride under poser lines since the strap is sending the signal to the monitor it can get scrambled by electrical interference.
Possibly, but I would expect this to work itself out as when I move away from the lines.
(two more very unlikely ones) the strap isn't tight enough and is flopping around and breaking contact w/ your skin and I've heard of people who are really - really hairy not getting a good reading.
I'm sure it's tight enough, but I have been called Teen Wolf when I go shirtless at the beach. Guess I might have to start shaving the chest too.
If it really concerns you and none of the above clear up the problem then I'd go see a doctor.
Good Luck!
Dave
Thanks for the help!

jdhansen63
04-19-2012, 03:12 PM
New premium strap and transmitter that gets washed and dried after each use.
based on the sweat comment, how often do you wash the strap? you could just have corroded the terminals and might be time for replacement? depending on if garmin sent you a new strap as well as a new transmitter?

toolman605
04-20-2012, 12:38 PM
New premium strap and transmitter that gets washed and dried after each use.

Um, please tell me you aren't throwing the whole thing in the washing machine? :eek:
I know you're not but I've only felt the need to rinse mine off in the shower a few times and I'm careful to not get the center portion wet. I had the older style Garmin HR strap and after it died I opened up the battery chamber and it was all corroded.

Scuzzer
04-20-2012, 02:51 PM
Anyone else have similar experiences? What was your resolution?

My dad had a similar experience, he'd be riding along at 130 bpm and his monitor would shoot up to 250 for a minute or two, sometimes longer. It never happened the few times that I would wear it so we were puzzled for awhile. He finally went to the doctor for a stress test and found out he had tachycardia.

I certainly hope this isn't the case for you but I thought I'd throw it out there. If it does it for a few weeks then it's almost certainly the monitor but perhaps someone else reading the thread will get some use out of the info.

jdhansen63
04-20-2012, 03:41 PM
Um, please tell me you aren't throwing the whole thing in the washing machine? :eek:
I know you're not but I've only felt the need to rinse mine off in the shower a few times and I'm careful to not get the center portion wet. I had the older style Garmin HR strap and after it died I opened up the battery chamber and it was all corroded.
Nope, I just take it in the shower with me and give it a quick scrub and rince.
My dad had a similar experience, he be riding along at 130 bpm and his monitor would shoot up to 250 for a minute or two, sometimes longer. It never happened the few times that I would wear it so we were puzzled for awhile. He finally went to the doctor for a stress test and found out he had tachycardia.
I've had several people at my LBS ask if I was sure that my HR wasn't actually shooting up. I always assumed it wasn't because I didn't physically feel any different. I don't think this is what is happening, but did your dad notice any physical change when there was a jump in HR?

stuckey
04-20-2012, 03:43 PM
I have sent a few of the premium straps back under warranty, they suck. I am back using the old crap plastic one that always works.

Scuzzer
04-20-2012, 04:57 PM
but did your dad notice any physical change when there was a jump in HR?

Not at first but after a year or so he started noticing a fluttering sensation in his chest. That's when he pursued it with his doctor. Surprisingly he could ride pretty well with his heart misfiring all over the place.

nm87710
04-20-2012, 05:15 PM
i have sent a few of the premium straps back under warranty, they suck. I am back using the old crap plastic one that always works.

+1

martinrjensen
04-20-2012, 06:36 PM
I had that same issue with my Polar HR monitor. for me the problem was mainly too loose of a strap. Also I wet it before I put it on. I just use a little tap water on my chest and the back of the sensor.

Once I did that, mine is pretty consistent

Bob Loblaw
04-20-2012, 08:48 PM
Mine goes all jiggy whenever I pass one of those "invisible fence" pet barriers. The monitor, not the heart.

BL

tuxbailey
04-20-2012, 09:08 PM
The one time mine did something like that I changed the battery and it fixed it.