PDA

View Full Version : Quick wheelbuild advice

toosahn
04-19-2012, 11:58 AM
So I'm having my record 10 silver hubs relaced to A23 rims by a local wheelbuilder. He was originally going to go with Sapim Race 14/15 spokes on the front and rear and now I'm wondering if a more complicated setup would be in my interest or not.

I weigh about 160-175lbs and mostly using the wheelset on my bike for commuting and joyrides (nothing competitive). Thus the weight often goes up to 180-195lbs with a backpack or panniers.

Any thoughts on whether I should consider Sapim Lasers, perhaps on the front wheel and rear non-drive side with Race on the rear drive side? Or am I just complicating things unnecessarily.

Thanks!

ergott
04-19-2012, 12:03 PM
If you get north of 190 on these wheels leave well enough alone.

Make sure they keep the tension on the rear wheel reasonably high so the NDS spokes don't go slack.

christian
04-19-2012, 12:03 PM
NVM. Eric said more than I ever could.

toosahn
04-19-2012, 12:05 PM
If you get north of 190 on these wheels leave well enough alone.

Make sure they keep the tension on the rear wheel reasonably high so the NDS spokes don't go slack.

I'm sure this is wise advice coming from a respected wheelbuilder such as yourself, but I'm really a newbie when it comes to understanding wheel building. Can you explain what you posted in layman's terms? I was thinking more of the first part of your reply about the "north of 190". Is that referring to tension?

Thanks again!

christian
04-19-2012, 12:14 PM
No, he's referring to your (combined) weight.

If your weight is often >190 lbs, you should keep the Race spokes. The 120g savings of the Lasers will not be worth the decrease in reliability.

ergott
04-19-2012, 12:16 PM
Sorry, for the brevity.

Stay with the Race spokes. If your builder is good he won't need anyone to tell him to push it with the tension. If they were on my stand I would try to get the right side spokes of the rear wheel to 120-130kgf. The rim can handle that.

toosahn
04-19-2012, 01:31 PM
Thanks! I think I'll just stick the Race spokes.

I appreciate the help.

Thanks!

Puget Pounder
04-19-2012, 02:13 PM
Have you tried wheelbuilding toosahn? I've only built a hand full of sets, but it's something that I think most serious cyclists should try.

toosahn
04-19-2012, 02:15 PM
I think I'll try sometime in the future. I'm thinking of maybe asking my builder if I can shadow him for my wheelbuild for a few hours to get a initial feel of it.