PDA

View Full Version : Foot Strengthening Exercises?

MattTuck
04-19-2012, 11:01 AM
Been having trouble with numb toes during rides, and am considering new shoes, new pedals, different cleat alignment, etc. (not sure of exact cause, but I have high arches, and moderate forefoot collapse)

Talked to a guy who had similar issues and said that for him, jogging a few times a week helped to strengthen the foot/ankle. I hate running, but since this is the cheapest solution I've been advised on, and it doesn't require a new gear purchase that may or may not solve the problem, I'm trying to find other activities to strengthen the foot. He said just walking around barefoot would be an improvement.

Anyone have any experience with this? I did a search for foot strengthening exercises, and I have plenty of ideas, just looking for experience or advice on the topic. If I start a program, how long should I go before I expect to feel results?

Thanks

Fixed
04-19-2012, 11:06 AM
Barefoot walking on the beach
Try to wear flip flops. You use your toes to keep them on.

Cheers

William
04-19-2012, 11:07 AM
Jump rope.http://images.paraorkut.com/img/emoticons/images/s/sheep_jumping_rope-158.png

William

Puget Pounder
04-19-2012, 11:10 AM
Have you tried orthotics? People with high arches or flat feet tend to overly stress their feet, ankle, and knees.

I have crazy flat feet and custom orthotics changed my life. I can't wear shoes without them now.

Insurance coverage on custom ones is usually spotty. I was lucky enough to have 95% coverage... If not, try the orthotics you can buy instore. The literature shows that there isn't really a difference between custom and genericsm but they do show a lot of people benefit from having ANY orthotic.

MattTuck
04-19-2012, 11:51 AM
I have not tried orthotics. I'd be willing to try them, like new shoes, etc. but my biggest worry is that I invest the time/money and end up not solving the problem.

I have tried "superfeet" insoles before, and didn't think they were super great, but certainly better than your average insole. I could try a version with higher arch.

But to be honest, I'm dubious of 'orthotics' that might be a band-aid to a problem that can be solved another way. We walked on barefeet for 200,000 years, and for much of that time, we didn't have orthotics. Now, I don't know if high arches (or flat feet) is a recent phenomenon brought on by wearing shoes, or if it was an evolutionary advantage or disadvantage back in the day...

but if strengthening the foot can obviate the need for orthotics, that would be preferable for me. If they can't, I'm willing to try whatever in order to be comfortable on the bike. Walking doesn't bother me much, although my arches do get sore on occasion.

MattTuck
04-19-2012, 11:52 AM
Jump rope.http://images.paraorkut.com/img/emoticons/images/s/sheep_jumping_rope-158.png

William

Where do you find these animated images? ha! Maybe I'll try jump roping in barefeet.... I think I might pick up some of those five finger toe shoe things. They seem interesting.

jpw
04-19-2012, 11:59 AM
Run...on grass in trail shoes. More like short sprints than plodding along. The faster you go the more you 'skim' and the less you 'drop' your body weight on your precious knees.

tab123
04-19-2012, 12:10 PM
What has helped my feet: calf raises on stairs, using toe stretchers (for bunions but surprising how they strengthen foot muscles), and e-soles. e-soles have several arch options and worked better much for me than Superfeet.

William
04-19-2012, 12:20 PM
Where do you find these animated images? ha! Maybe I'll try jump roping in barefeet.... I think I might pick up some of those five finger toe shoe things. They seem interesting.

Jumping rope is one of the best low impact exercises you can do bang for your buck wise. Most people don't do it for two reasons: one...They think they'll look stupid due to the beginning learning curve, and two...it will really work you.

It's not just your feet, ankles, and calves that will get hit, it will hit your shoulders, abs, quads, and hamstrings. Pretty much every muscle is firing when jumping rope to keep your body stable.

William

PS: The animated images are from my super secret stash!!;)

William
04-19-2012, 12:23 PM
How about some Punk Rope instructional....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne9wg3bwC7U

William

rugbysecondrow
04-19-2012, 12:27 PM
I jump rope nearly every day, about 1000-1500 reps each day. I love it. One learning pointer: Jumping rope barefoot at home is naturally corrective...whack your naked toes a few times and you will learn to get your feet up. :)

It is great though. It has helped my running and even my dancing...it taught this white guy some rythym. :banana::banana::banana::banana:

Jumping rope is one of the best low impact exercises you can do bang for your buck wise. Most people don't do it for two reasons: one...They think they'll look stupid due to the beginning learning curve, and two...it will really work you.

It's not just your feet, ankles, and calves that will get hit, it will hit your shoulders, abs, quads, and hamstrings. Pretty much every muscle is firing when jumping rope to keep your body stable.

William

PS: The animated images are from my super secret stash!!;)

Likes2ridefar
04-19-2012, 12:27 PM
lots of reasons you may be experiencing the numb toes as you probably know.

specialized makes nice insoles for cycling shoes. they come in 3 different heights.

cleat placement, saddle height, the shoes themselves...too tight or not fitting properly.

other causes are tight muscles and tendons starting with the feet moving all the way through the leg. i've had a tight calf cause it. the tendons beneath the calf were like piano wire. having them rolled out really helped along with daily stretching.

rugbysecondrow
04-19-2012, 12:31 PM
To add to the conversation, I have found that the more I do barefoot or with minimal artificial support, the stronger my feet feel and the less I need support. I have flat feet, used to wear arch supports, but since I have begin jumping rope barefoot, running in minimalist shoes and working out barefoot, my feet and ankles are strong enough that I no longer need them. No knee, hip or ankle pain either. I am not a Dr, only pretend to be one after midnight, but anecdotally, it really helped me and some other guys I know.

AngryScientist
04-19-2012, 12:40 PM
just in case you havent covered the basics, numb feet indicate lack of blood flow. if you've got your shoes too tight, or your toes are pressed agaisnt the toe box, you've got a problem. proper fitting shoes and insoles is the place to start, for the bike anyway.

do you have this numb toe problem any other time than on the bike, or just when riding??

veggieburger
04-19-2012, 12:40 PM
I found Moksha Yoga to be GREAT for foot strength. There's a lot of single foot balancing stances that do wonders for overall foot development...

William
04-19-2012, 12:48 PM
just in case you havent covered the basics, numb feet indicate lack of blood flow. if you've got your shoes too tight, or your toes are pressed agaisnt the toe box, you've got a problem. proper fitting shoes and insoles is the place to start, for the bike anyway.

do you have this numb toe problem any other time than on the bike, or just when riding??

I was responding to MT's request for strengthening exercises, but Angry is on point for checking the basics of fit & set up.

William

Puget Pounder
04-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Some good suggestions in here.

Either way, if you don't try orthotics, maybe give the podiatrist a visit. Perhaps one that has more expertise in sports med. Foot and ankle care is something that is often overlooked, but very important. I don't remember a time when my knees were in so much pain from exercise than before I got mine. Humans didn't use orthotics back in the day, but their bodies were built different.

We also got along for a long time without bikes ;)

MattTuck
04-19-2012, 01:04 PM

Well, this is where it gets complicated. The numbness is only on the bike.

I'm dealing with several issues, high arch with 'moderate forefoot collapse' according to one fitter, and high instep (dealt with by wearing my shoes without the middle strap to relieve pressure on the top of my foot) and a wide foot. I have specialized shoes now, in a wide, with the arch support, which are causing the problem.

I've talked to several fitters at several bike shops, most with different opinions, some of which say the specialized wide is the way to go, although I still think they are not wide enough. I've had some fitters suggest moving away from the speed play system to a Shimano cleat system. Others have suggested 'cleat placement' fittings. and the possibility of putting a shim in. Others have suggested the Sidi Mega sizing, while still others suggest that the Sidi Mega sizing is still not as wide as specialized. Others have suggested other brands such as shimano. Based on the diversity of opinions, I don't exactly feel confident in any of them.

I spend enough time on the bike (especially now that the weather is warming up) that I don't mind spending the money to get the problem solved, but I do have a problem chasing a white whale, only to wind up $500 lighter with the same complaints.

That's why the foot strengthening first approach makes some sense to me.

If that doesn't work, my next move would be new shoes.

Edit: I have been told also that numb feet have to do with forefoot collapse, as the bones/tendons repeatedly flex, the nerves get inflamed and that leads to numbness. Blood flow I'm sure is another cause. It is frustrating to me because it is hard to know who to trust when it comes to the physiology, and then doubly hard to know who to trust when you're getting a recommendation "xyz brand is better than abc brand" when the shop carries xyz, and does not stock abc...

Viper
04-19-2012, 01:58 PM
+1 to jumping rope and walking in sand, on the beach.

I use Nike Free sneakers, had em' since they were invented. There are many types now. Anyway, I jump rope to start my workout (almost) every night in the gym. I cannot, well I can, but for the most part, I can't think of a better workout for five minutes.

Walking in the sand away from the shoreline, while on Shark Patrol is awesome for calves, feet etc.

benb
04-19-2012, 02:13 PM
Wow.. some great advice here. Going to have to hunt down a jump rope and make that my new way to warm up before lifting weights.. seems like a great lower impact way to strengthen feet.

toolman605
04-19-2012, 02:47 PM
I've got the same issue as you - high arches and numb feet. I put a pair of SOLE thin insoles in my shoes and its helped a little. It takes 40-50 minutes now before my feet start to go numb.
I notice that it happens more when I hammer rather than spinning in circles.
I'm using Shimano cleats and Sidi regular width shoes. I have a standard width foot and my foot was absolutely swimming in the Sidi Megas.
If I undo the two lower straps after my feet start going numb I can literally feel the blood flowing back into my feet.
Another "fix" I've found is to unclip one foot at a time and shake your foot like your'e doing the hokey-pokey. :)
I'm also a runner (20 miles a week) so I question the advice of strengthing your feel by running. Maybe "minimalist" with the funky toe shoes but certinally not normal running in running shoes.
Oh and a word of warning on the jump rope. I gave myself the most wicked case of shin splints jumping rope on concrete. I have the aerobic engine but my shins weren't up to the task.
Please keep us posted on your progress - obviously I haven't found a solution yet.

benb
04-19-2012, 02:51 PM
FWIW I get this problem too.. I have flat (really more like flexible) feet and custom orthotics. (The orthotics may be worn out)

Cleat positioning is critical for me.. and it also only happens when I am in better shape. As my power output goes up as the season goes on it is more likely to happen.. usually hammering a climb.

Little things like socks & strap tension on the shoes seems to affect it to.

MattTuck
04-19-2012, 02:57 PM
I notice that it happens more when I hammer rather than spinning in circles.

Yeah, that sounds familiar, it happens when I'm pushing down a lot on my pedals. Which lends credibility to the idea that it is not an issue with the top of my foot, and thus should be fixed with either foot strengthening or insoles that spread the weight over more of the foot. And also it helps to remind you to spin circles, which is always a goal....

I'm also a runner (20 miles a week) so I question the advice of strengthing your feel by running. Maybe "minimalist" with the funky toe shoes but certinally not normal running in running shoes.

And another seemingly rational suggestion from a 'pro fitter' is called in to question. I swear, I feel like I'm aiming at a moving target.

dogdriver
04-19-2012, 03:31 PM
+1 all of the above potential underlying issues.

Regarding foot strength, here's what my PT says:

Walk barefoot on soft surfaces (as said above). Modern shoes support our feet to the point that they don't have to do much of the support function that they are designed (evolved) to do.

Put your foot on top of a towel on a smooth floor (hardwood is perfect) with most of the towel in front of your foot. Use your toes to "gather" the towel under your foot, an inch or so at a time. Do this for 2-4 minutes, a couple times/day.

Pick up marbles from the floor with bare toes and drop them into a cup. Do this alone, as you will look at least a little silly trying it... at least I did.

Hope this helps.

cnighbor1
04-19-2012, 05:26 PM
Just simply raise up on your toes while feet are bare
your lifting 1/2 your weight Hold unto a chair or door frame. I been doing that to offset flat feet since i was 5 Now 75 Or do it only with one foot Your full weigth

Viper
04-19-2012, 07:02 PM
Wow.. some great advice here. Going to have to hunt down a jump rope and make that my new way to warm up before lifting weights.. seems like a great lower impact way to strengthen feet.

Here you go dude:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S-98SfEP9o

It's one of those 80's movies which were so cheesy, they were almost good. :)

Best $12.00 you can spend for a sinister workout. I wrestled back in the day for many years. We've all seen 'Vision Quest' (or was I the only freak who did...I had a thing for Linda Fiorentino as well as wrestling. Anyway, the movie literally opens up with jump-roping: it was one of the standards for wrestlers. You ought to buy a nice rope. They come in weights, which impacts the speed of the actual rope (cord). I bought a NIKE rope and I was impressed with it in the store, five years later it is still great.

You will be a spazz at first. Try to "jump" cleanly ten times in a row, then 20 etc. You'll be surprised at first how many times you "trip" the rope. Then when you get the hang of it, you might be surprised at what your heart rate turns into...you may need to do thirty or sixty second intervals.

I jump almost every day. Be careful of patellar pain. Don't be a freak about it. Start small. Your heart rate and level of sweat will impress you. Get some "FREE" sneakers, the newer type which have soles that allow total movement of the foot. Or jump with just socks on or barefoot. Oldschool jumping jacks...they will work the feet and ankles/calves too.

khjr
04-20-2012, 05:43 AM
We walked on barefeet for 200,000 years, and for much of that time, we didn't have orthotics. Now, I don't know if high arches (or flat feet) is a recent phenomenon brought on by wearing shoes, or if it was an evolutionary advantage or disadvantage back in the day...

Suffice to say, I would have been picked off by a lion, as I have profoundly flat feet with a variety of overuse injuries such as a neuroma in my left foot. Take good care of any foot pain, and invest the time and money early. I can tell you from personal experience that you do not want a neuroma.

There's a lot to be said for foot exercises. I cured myself of plantars fasciitis simply by adopting 5 finger shoes for my gym workouts, much of which are done standing on a bosu ball. The fellow who fitted me for an orthotic, who also has flat feet, has had great results from the towel toe curls, marble exercises, and toe raises noted above.

wallymann
04-20-2012, 10:51 AM
it can also mean trapped or pinched nerves. left unchecked you can develop a neuroma, which can be quite a pickle to get past!

deechee
04-20-2012, 12:48 PM
To answer you thread title, I recommend Essentrics (http://www.essentrics.com/). I've been doing it for about a year now, and I have more foot awareness but most of all my slumped posture has changed significantly.

Back to your numbness, as dumb as this sounds - do you spin or mash? When I first started getting into biking seriously I had a lot of numb toes and focusing on my technique got rid of a lot of the pain. I don't have high arches but I *do* have wide feet. I struggled with shoes, but right now the Shimano Tri shoes have been great. I still get a bit of numbness but nowhere near as much. The Shimano Wide road shoes did not work for me due to the stiff material on the sides. I picked up a pair of Bontrager wides, but haven't had any long rides on them yet. They seem promising. I'd love to try Lakes but there's no dealer near me.

I don't agree running will help your feet - awareness, yes, but only if you keep it in mind; which I think brings us back to your awareness while biking. When your foot starts getting numb, can you start focusing on the up-stroke more and see if the pain goes away? (OR think about levelling your stroke.) Another great thing about tri-shoes (and I guess part of triathlon racing) is that sometimes I'd just pull my foot out of my shoe while riding and ride with my foot on top of my shoes. Instant relief. (We do it for faster transitions from the swim and to the run.)

Good luck!

Viper
04-20-2012, 02:13 PM
To answer you thread title, I recommend Essentrics (http://www.essentrics.com/).

The woman in the middle is absurdly hot. :) Off to get some magenta and black spandex ftw.

killacks
04-20-2012, 02:26 PM
Is the any merit to the idea of barefoot cycling?? :)

What I mean is, do the supposed benefits of strengthing your feet a la the trends in barefoot/minimal running footwear have any merit in the cycling world? I'd imagine they do, but to what extent?

Obviously, running and cycling are quite different, but I see a link between foot strength and putting the power to the pedal.

Likes2ridefar
04-20-2012, 02:28 PM
I'm willing to be the first cyclist to have cleats implanted in to my feet for a small fee to find out.