PDA

View Full Version : Cross fun

Bruce K
04-19-2012, 08:41 AM
Every time I get on my cross bike I am reminded how much fun they are

Yesterday evening 3 of us did 1.5 hours of dirt, roots, rocks, and even a little mud !!!!

Pure fun

Can't wait for cross season (almost...)

BK

4Rings6Stars
04-19-2012, 08:56 AM
I love riding my cross bike too. Hoping to get my IF together this weekend so I can do some dirt road riding. I'm way behind in my D2R2 training...

Unfortunately, I have never actually raced. I have a buddy that wants to start too, hopefully this year will be the year!

Bruce K - do you know of any clinics or 'for fun' sorts of races? Looking to dip my toes in the water but not sure I'm ready to jump right in.

BillG
04-19-2012, 09:06 AM
Bruce K - do you know of any clinics or 'for fun' sorts of races? Looking to dip my toes in the water but not sure I'm ready to jump right in.

Wheelworks has clinics for learning to race cross.

eippo1
04-19-2012, 09:52 AM
There's also Waffle Cross which happened about once a month during the spring & summer for the past couple years. I think the Rhonde took it's place for this month, but it might be on for May. I'll check with the N.E. Athletic team to see if they have one planned.

Nooch
04-19-2012, 10:00 AM
wish there was more cx training around NNJ...

Bruce K
04-19-2012, 02:22 PM
There are several local clubs that do clinics or practice nights.

Watch Bikereg.com in early August or check back with me by PM.

BRC, Minuteman, and ECV all do something on a weekly basis.

Depending on your age group you can race Masters instead of the regular category 4 at many cross events. Some of those are a little more gentle.

Or you can just jump in at some of the more low key events like Quad Cross (Bedford, MA) or Suckerbrook (NH).

BK

4Rings6Stars
04-19-2012, 02:32 PM
There are several local clubs that do clinics or practice nights.

Watch Bikereg.com in early August or check back with me by PM.

BRC, Minuteman, and ECV all do something on a weekly basis.

Depending on your age group you can race Masters instead of the regular category 4 at many cross events. Some of those are a little more gentle.

Or you can just jump in at some of the more low key events like Quad Cross (Bedford, MA) or Suckerbrook (NH).

BK

Thanks for the info. I'm 23 FWIW, still wet behind the ears.

Do you know of anything between now and then? I don't understand why cross is only in the fall. Maybe makes sense for Cat 1/2 who race cross as their off season but it seems like it's something a lot of people would want to do in the spring/summer as well.

VA-Scooter
04-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm 23 FWIW, still wet behind the ears.

Do you know of anything between now and then? I don't understand why cross is only in the fall. Maybe makes sense for Cat 1/2 who race cross as their off season but it seems like it's something a lot of people would want to do in the spring/summer as well.

Weather is not miserable enough in spring/summer to really enjoy cross.