PDA

View Full Version : Veloflex Tires and Age/Wear

mdeeds71
04-18-2012, 10:59 PM
I finally was able to get back to my townhome after my ex moved.

Getting my hands back on my wheels and my CDA was great but they have not been used for some time due to my deployment then divorce.

Question is this. I installed 2 Veloflex Blacks in 2008. Road them for about 200 miles then did not touch them again due to the events.

They are holding air as usual but I noticed the sidewalls are lighter in color than the 2 new ones I still have in boxes. The sidewalls seem to have lost some of the rubber coating and when you scrape across them leave a imprint (much like the old continental gumwall mtb tires). There is no dry rot or cracking at all and the are still pliable.

What are your opinions?

zmudshark
04-18-2012, 11:15 PM
You can always put some liquid latex on the sidewalls if they are clean. Veloflex tires are very nice, and worth saving.

rustychisel
04-18-2012, 11:45 PM
no problem, they do cure off gradually and the rubber is likely to get crazy little cracks but so what? They good, they're excellent, ride 'em.

Disclaimer: I had a pair of Veloflex on track wheels and the 'rubber' cured with a slightly 'glazed' appearance. Eventually I decided not to ride them on the boards in case they were as slippery on the shoulders as they looked, but I rode them on the road, no worries.

saab2000
04-19-2012, 02:26 AM
Sorry about the divorce. The airline lifestyle is tough on life and families. You have my empathy with that one.

As to the tires, I'd go ahead and ride them with no worries. Just a bit of aging but they really ought to be fine. Just keep an eye on them. The thread has probably glazed over a bit but a few rides should roughen up the surface and under that exterior the rubber should still be OK.

Still hoping to get on with CAL/UAL someday but the merger is challenging, from what I understand and still a lot of folks on furlough..... The RJ lifestyle is getting old after 8 years. :cool:

AngryScientist
04-19-2012, 06:24 AM
I finally was able to get back to my townhome after my ex moved.

Getting my hands back on my wheels and my CDA was great but they have not been used for some time due to my deployment then divorce.

Question is this. I installed 2 Veloflex Blacks in 2008. Road them for about 200 miles then did not touch them again due to the events.

They are holding air as usual but I noticed the sidewalls are lighter in color than the 2 new ones I still have in boxes. The sidewalls seem to have lost some of the rubber coating and when you scrape across them leave a imprint (much like the old continental gumwall mtb tires). There is no dry rot or cracking at all and the are still pliable.

What are your opinions?

are we talking clinchers or tubies?

if clinchers, i would consider changing the tubes out for fresh ones, but that's about it.

witcombusa
04-19-2012, 06:26 AM
Where is the bike stored?

How much sunlight, direct or otherwise, is it seeing every day?

UV is the enemy :eek:

mdeeds71
04-19-2012, 08:38 AM
Thanks all...

They are clinchers and as to the sunlight....none if not very little...stores in basement.

I will do the tubes and ride till they are worn out. I miss the subtleness.

MealsOnWheels
04-19-2012, 09:39 PM
Is it the Tubular called the "Carbon" I rode them. Very nice, but inner tube is latex, not sure how they age.

I do remember seeing a lace armstrong documentery on the discovery channel during lance's last tour. one part they went to a basement which had lots of tires stacked up with the year they were made over the stack. they were never unused and they said the older tubulars are better, i forget why, but they used the tires that where four years old and stored in a basement. something about the rubber becoming better as they age.

rustychisel
04-19-2012, 10:04 PM
Is it the Tubular called the "Carbon" I rode them. Very nice, but inner tube is latex, not sure how they age.

I do remember seeing a lace armstrong documentery on the discovery channel during lance's last tour. one part they went to a basement which had lots of tires stacked up with the year they were made over the stack. they were never unused and they said the older tubulars are better, i forget why, but they used the tires that where four years old and stored in a basement. something about the rubber becoming better as they age.

Old Belgian wives tale (or hardened grizzly Belgian mechanic, as you prefer). It is said the 'rubber' cures after a couple of seasons and provides a better and more puncture resistant tyre so it is very common. There is no scientific evidence for it at all.