PDA

View Full Version : Mid 90's steel vs. Mid 90's Ti

AndreasM
04-18-2012, 03:30 PM
Sort of a specific request, but I'm curious on people's thoughts on the ride quality of a MAX/MXL frame and a Mid 90's Ti frame such as a Litespeed Ultimate. Rep from Litespeed said it would be very similar but the added benefits of Ti (weight, corrosion resistance, etc.)

Any thoughts on the matter would be great. I'm 6'4 200lb riding weight.

Thank you kindly.

old_fat_and_slow
04-18-2012, 05:00 PM

AndreasM
04-18-2012, 05:56 PM
Test riding a Ti would be a good idea, and a seemingly obvious one... haha. I've been on SLX but never MAX or else I would have just rode away.

Most reports are that the Ultimate would be stiff, I'm only really concerned on sprints and big climbs but really don't have a frame of reference.

Sounds like I should just go for it and ride it to find out though.

Pearsom
04-18-2012, 06:10 PM
Can't compare to Ti 'cause I don't have (nor have I ridden) a Ti bike, but my I love my MX-Leader. At speed it absolutely cruises and has a fantastic road feel. Doesn't climb as well as my BMC SLX01, but I find the weight / stability / geometry of the MX-Leader more confidence inspiring on descents than the lighter plastic bike.

I'm 6'5", 185 and I've found the MX-Leader to be super-stiff but not harsh. However, I'm running 700x25 contis at 90 PSI so that takes some of the edge off. If I was a smaller lighter rider maybe I'd feel differently, but not a prob for you either.

Hope this helps.

slowgoing
04-19-2012, 12:58 AM
LS Ultimate is a sprinter's bike, can be bone jarring on long rides. Baseball bat sized downtube. They may have worked on the harshness over time, I'm speaking of the early 2000s models.

MX Leader is as smooth as they come, can be used as an all day ride. Not the best climber but it excels at everything else, and you will remember the ride forever. Do yourself a favor and ride one before you buy anything else under consideration.

christian
04-19-2012, 05:31 AM
For social and fun rides, I think it's hard to beat the MX Leader, though current prices are insane - we must be at the peak of the MXL bubble now.

My only Ti bike is a MTB so I cant really comment there, but for roadbikes, my stable has consolidated to one - an MXL. And I have a spare MXL frame, stashed in the rafters... They're that good, despite the workman-like build quality and soft (but often pretty) paint.

Unless a 57x56.8 Hampco Max or Zanc Max with room for fenders comes up for sale here or across the hall, both of these will be going to my kids. I hope they like old steel!

AndreasM
04-19-2012, 09:06 AM
I'm considering an early 90's model - so the mega downtube isn't incorporated - still ovalized and shaped - cold worked seat tube - but lacking that axeblade DT. Looks hearty though.

An MXL would be ideal but I can't imagine I'd come across one to ride (or buy) within reason, anytime soon. The litespeed is definitely within reason and thus the impetus for this thread.

Basically I'm curious if the ride of an early 90s MXL or MAX would be similar to that of the early 90's Ultimate.

Thanks everyone previous for the response and help

jgueone
04-19-2012, 09:29 AM
i have litespeed tuscany for sale i think its from 2002 59cm( 57.5tt / 61 st) $1500 shipped

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b385/jguewon/photo-1.jpg

4Rings6Stars
04-19-2012, 09:31 AM
I have an MX Leader and a Titanium AX (Litespeed built Merckx) in the same size and same geometry so it sounds like I can offer good advice... but I think the AX is a unique beast.

It rides very similarly to my MXL but is noticeably less stiff in the BB area. Not a bad thing necessarily but I don't think I would want to race on it. Great century bike, however.

Pearsom
04-19-2012, 12:30 PM
An MXL would be ideal but I can't imagine I'd come across one to ride (or buy) within reason, anytime soon. The litespeed is definitely within reason and thus the impetus for this thread.

jmoore is selling a nicely equipped 60cm MXL here on the forum. probably too small for you at 6'4".

i was offered a couple different 63cm MXL motorola replica framesets for the princely sum of $1500... probably still around at that price.

if you happen to be in socal you're welcome to ride mine

Fixed
04-19-2012, 01:25 PM
i have litespeed tuscany for sale i think its from 2002 59cm( 57.5tt / 61 st) $1500 shipped

Nice looking ti bike IMHO
Cheers

Honey
04-19-2012, 01:41 PM

Did you get that refinished with a bead/media blast? If so where, and how was the experience, looks quite nice (it looks matte, not brushed, only why I'm asking, if it's brushed, woops)

avalonracing
04-19-2012, 02:04 PM
I did see some of the early Ultimates break under repeated racing stress. It may have just been two or three but I do remember seeing that.

Vinci
04-19-2012, 02:09 PM

Are you sure that's a 2002 and a Tuscany? I have a 2003 Tuscany and it has shaped tubes and an integrated headset. That was true for the years surrounding 2003 also...

EDIT: Mine is actually a 2002, not a 2003. A 2002 will have a shaped downtube, Campy-standard integrated headset, and will have a brushed finish (unless refinished).

AndreasM
04-22-2012, 09:26 AM
jmoore is selling a nicely equipped 60cm MXL here on the forum. probably too small for you at 6'4".

i was offered a couple different 63cm MXL motorola replica framesets for the princely sum of $1500... probably still around at that price.

if you happen to be in socal you're welcome to ride mine

Ah DC unfortunatlley. I PMed jmoore. Thanks for the heads up