PDA

View Full Version : Whew! Tires for Campagnolo Proton Wheels

xodus
04-18-2012, 11:46 AM
Looking for suggestions on what tires mount easily on Proton wheels. Felt like I was using the wheels for arm-stretching. lol:help:

flydhest
04-18-2012, 12:14 PM
yeah, not Michelins if these are more than a few years old Proton models. I love the wheels, but . . . not for every tire.

Matt-H
04-18-2012, 12:20 PM
yeah, not Michelins if these are more than a few years old Proton models. I love the wheels, but . . . not for every tire.

Yes, exactly. I honestly can't get Pro Races on my old Protons, but I really love the wheels. Looking forward to some suggestions on a different tire.

fiamme red
04-18-2012, 12:24 PM
I had a very hard time with Vredestein Fortezzas and Michelin Pro Races.

I suggest instead of trying to mount new tires on the Protons, first stretch them out a little by mounting them on some other rim.

Dekonick
04-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Protons are tough no matter what.

AngryScientist
04-18-2012, 12:37 PM
it's my experience that the most supple, soft tires are the easiest to mount, 320 tpi stuff. i can slip my vittoria open corsas or open paves on any of my rims without levers.

Elefantino
04-18-2012, 12:43 PM
Protons are tough no matter what.
Great wheels unless you flat.

Had them.

Past tense.

thwart
04-18-2012, 12:54 PM
Great wheels unless you flat.

True 'dat.

But, once the tire's been mounted/stretched, I've been able to do roadside flat changes without too much trouble...

... it's mounting new tires that really makes you think the rims are at least 2-3 mm out of spec.

Elefantino
04-18-2012, 02:13 PM
True 'dat.

But, once the tire's been mounted/stretched, I've been able to do roadside flat changes without too much trouble...

... it's mounting new tires that really makes you think the rims are at least 2-3 mm out of spec.
The old Conti GP3000s were nigh impossible to mount anytime, new or old.

toosahn
04-18-2012, 02:28 PM
Like AngryScientist said, Vittoria Open Corsas will go on and come off with alarming ease.

Also, for cheap stuff, try Pasela TGs.

sandyrs
04-18-2012, 02:28 PM
it's my experience that the most supple, soft tires are the easiest to mount, 320 tpi stuff. i can slip my vittoria open corsas or open paves on any of my rims without levers.

i've had mixed results with my open paves- i've been able to get them on without levers each time, but it's required more thumb strength than when i've mounted cheaper tires (conti ultra sport wire bead and gator hardshell to be exact)...

binxnyrwarrsoul
04-18-2012, 05:07 PM
Veloflex. For Proton's and any other Campy prebuilt. When I eff around with tires and Campy wheels, I always wonder if they made the rims a slightly different size, so they could make tires that only fit their rims. I love you, I hate you, I can't live without you (Campy).:rolleyes:

thinpin
04-18-2012, 06:43 PM
Struggled with every new tyre I put on mine. Things got a little easier when stretched.

akelman
04-18-2012, 06:46 PM

This. It's never easy, honestly, but softer tires -- Veloflex or Vittora -- are much, much easier.

akelman
04-18-2012, 06:47 PM
Struggled with every new tyre I put on mine. Things got a little easier when stretched.

Try substituting an "i" for the "y". It might help.

(I'm kidding. And also Canadian by birth, so you can't hate me.)

dsimon
04-18-2012, 07:03 PM
Stay away form conti's when i owned a pair it took 3 levers and i usually broke one or two quite often

DRietz
04-18-2012, 07:31 PM
Maybe with steel bead Contis but most certainly not their folding tires. Very loose fitting in my experience...

MilanoTom
04-18-2012, 08:12 PM
If you can ride the new tires (whatever you decide to buy) a few times on another wheel set, they should loosen up a bit and be a little easier to install.

Regards,
Tom

Birddog
04-18-2012, 08:20 PM
Heat em up a little the first time. Either lay them out in the sun or when the wife isn't around, throw them in the dryer fro about 10 mins.

buldogge
04-18-2012, 08:40 PM
Yep...+1, I also like to use Park Tools steel-core levers.

FWIW...The Schwalbe Ultremo ZXs are much easier to mount than Conti GP4000s, I've been switching to these lately, as needed.

-Mark in St. Louis

Heat em up a little the first time. Either lay them out in the sun or when the wife isn't around, throw them in the dryer fro about 10 mins.

bluesea
04-18-2012, 08:49 PM
My impressions with a 1.5 yr old Neutron wheel set (bought new), and 23mm Conti 4000S.

New rims, new 4000S:
- Wow, what's all the whining about Conti and campy rims? Two levers when new, one lever fixing flats. Yes, they stretch.

next 4-5 sets:
- Need to exercise patience and perfect 2 lever technique--a hassle on the road with other riders waiting. Tires never did stretch, not even one bit. Day dreams of selling and getting some Dura Ace.

Current set:
Whoa, these went on fairly easy. First flat @ ∼700mi went back on with one lever. I love the way these wheels ride, and they look cool.

Grant McLean
04-18-2012, 10:56 PM
Another Vittoria fan here. After the first mounting, no levers required
on campag wheels. General advice for all wheels: thinnest rim strip possible.

-g

xodus
04-19-2012, 08:39 AM
Thanks for all the input. Yes, great wheels, smooth ride especially on my Look 585 Pro Max Sl.