PDA

View Full Version : OT: Went to a Lyle Lovett concert

rounder
04-17-2012, 09:39 PM
Went to a Lyle Lovette and John Hiatt concert in Spartanburg. It was cool. Had not been to one in years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3BgRbnzxb4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J--fysqRVCQ

oliver1850
04-17-2012, 09:49 PM
I've always liked Lyle, even if he was a bit mean to Dale Evans. I think the last CD I bought was Joshua Judges Ruth, which came out in 1992. Perhaps I should check to see what he's done lately.

rounder
04-17-2012, 10:01 PM
I don't know about anything between Lyle and Dale Evans.

The auditoreum in Spartanburg was small...about 2,ooo. Lyle was great. The music was intelligent and no one could have played it better.

oliver1850
04-17-2012, 10:17 PM
The song is "If I had a Boat". He says:

"If I was Roy Rogers, I'd sure enough be single, I couldn't bring myself to marryin' old Dale.

It'd just be me and Trigger, and we'd go ridin' through them movies, Then we'd buy a boat and on the sea we'd sail".

sw3759
04-17-2012, 10:37 PM
i don't really know much of his music but i know he was really big into riding off road motorcycles and i think he owns or owned a dealership somewhere in south Texas maybe Houston or Austin and that he also used ride dirt bikes with Lance Armstrong too according to some interviews i read long ago..
that was 10 or 15 years ago so not sure if either one still rides but don't think alot of folks had ever heard that story

mcgillicuddy_p
04-17-2012, 11:14 PM
I have seen Lyle at least a dozen times and he has never disappointed. The couple of times I have seen him play with John Hiatt have been some of the most memorable shows. Two guys, two guitars, some good stories and a lot of great music.

I know Lyle is a huge motorcycle enthusiast and had a passion for Ducatis. In 2002 his leg was crushed by a bull. I am not sure if that has changed his ability to ride a bicycle or motorcycle-it certainly hasn't diminished his ability to put on a great show.

Fixed
04-18-2012, 07:07 AM
Best thing about him IMHO .....his wife
Cheers
He seems to attract beautiful women

BumbleBeeDave
04-18-2012, 07:32 AM
I've always liked Lyle, even if he was a bit mean to Dale Evans.

. . . for Julia Roberts? :D

BBD

Chris
04-18-2012, 07:36 AM
I've seen Lyle a bunch. Every time he is within a couple hundred miles, we have to go see the show. My wife wouldn't have it any other way.

torquer
04-18-2012, 09:16 AM
He's one of the performers I'm always on the lookout for when he tours.
He was my gateway drug to alt country.
Also one of the (few) reasons not to let Texas secede (which some local politico insists they could do.)

mnoble485
04-18-2012, 09:37 AM
went and saw Lyle and John a couple of weeks ago. 4th row center in a hall with great accustics. It felt lke they were in my living room as they played and basically told stories with their music. A magical night. This was my second time for them together and have also seen Lyle and his "Big Band" several times.

Mike

oliver1850
04-18-2012, 10:01 AM
Old thread below on Lyle and others mentions Alejandro Escovedo. I saw him once do an acoustic show from the middle of the audience. Just walked down off the stage and pulled up a chair in the center of the room. Well worth seeing if you get the chance.

dustyrider
04-18-2012, 01:13 PM
How was Hiatt live?

Not a Lovett fan myself, but man do I like Hiatt, he's an amazing singer/song writer!

Johnnyg
04-18-2012, 01:53 PM
How was Hiatt live?

Not a Lovett fan myself, but man do I like Hiatt, he's an amazing singer/song writer!

I wil second that. I have seen John many times and he puts on a great show.

Keith A
04-18-2012, 02:10 PM
Best thing about him IMHO .....his wife
Cheers
He seems to attract beautiful womenYou mean ex-wife...he's not married to Julia Roberts anymore. Actually, he's not married at all right now.

tiretrax
04-18-2012, 03:03 PM
He's one of the performers I'm always on the lookout for when he tours.
He was my gateway drug to alt country.
Also one of the (few) reasons not to let Texas secede (which some local politico insists they could do.)

The others are BBQ and Texmex.

sent from Dallas

rounder
04-18-2012, 09:17 PM
How was Hiatt live?

I was interested in John Hiatt because i had heard songs i liked...drive south, what is this thing called love. John Hiatt was really good and played excellent guitar. John Hiatt does not have as many popular songs as Lyle. He played to the audience and asked for requests and then played them.

Oviously he and Lyle Lovett sounded great together. John was a pscho on guitar..bashing wise but was really good. He had to keep retuning. Lyle Lovett was easy on his guitar and retuned rarely. All in all, John Hiatt was good. Lyle Lovett had it all. For the most part, his guitar playing was not fancy but was good for the songs. For those songs with flashy playing, Lyle played great... blues, etc. It still looked effortless. Overall, i would score them (assuming that it is appropriate and you can do that) Lyle A+, John B+.

I used to go to lots of concerts, but have not not been to one lately (so, what do i know). I thought it was one of the best shows i ever saw. They both played their own two guitars and traded songs for 2 1/2 hours. To me. it was great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UZ1Y4BRhVE