PDA

View Full Version : wind jackets with removable sleeves?

eddief
04-17-2012, 05:57 PM
just went shopping for a new windbreaker. so many of the new ones seem to be sporting removable sleeves. I don't get that concept and much prefer to layer in arm warmers or some other combo. Don't want to zip and unzip sleeve systems in order to adjust temp. i suppose i am in the minority.

Liv2RideHard
04-17-2012, 06:03 PM
I am on your side. I prefer a gilet with arm warmers.

ckamp
04-17-2012, 06:24 PM
I use one of the earlier ones made by Castelli. I treat it as a wind proof cold jersey. The sleeves have been transitioned twice in the past two years during fall/spring riding.

Once to cool down from a cold morning and warm afternoon

Another to put the sleeves on when I got into a cold thunderstorm

I don’t understand the complaint, just keep the sleeves on and accept you have some free options. Thats what I've done. :)

eddief
04-17-2012, 06:32 PM
and more zippers and flaps than necessary. no big deal, but did notice the majority at my local stores were the "convertible" ones.

I use one of the earlier ones made by Castelli. I treat it as a wind proof cold jersey. The sleeves have been transitioned twice in the past two years during fall/spring riding.

Once to cool down from a cold morning and warm afternoon

Another to put the sleeves on when I got into a cold thunderstorm

I don’t understand the complaint, just keep the sleeves on and accept you have some free options. Thats what I've done. :)

jr59
04-17-2012, 07:27 PM
Do yourself a favor and call Lou at Foxwear and have something made for you, the way you want it.

There is a thread in the showcase sub-forum.

rnhood
04-17-2012, 08:46 PM
I agree with Live2ridehard, a vest (gilet) and arm warmers are extremely effective and versatile. Lots of good vests on the market and they don't cost much. Neither do arm warmers. Both store easily in your jersey pockets.

If you want rain protection then its a little different. I like the Gore products although they are pricey. They are form fitting and exceptionally well made.

Willy
04-17-2012, 11:56 PM
I am sorry, but I have to disagree. I have two Gore jackets, one light weight and one of heavier fabric. I really like the rain protection and then the ability to take of the sleeves as the weather warms up and just ride with a vest.

jpw
04-18-2012, 04:20 AM
It's a bit like zip off hiking pants that become shorts - I avoid them. Heavier, more complicated,... and zips break.

Lose a leg (or sleeve) and then what?

Assos has the new Falkenzahn winter gilet coming out later in the year. They know what they're doing, and I see no zipped sleeves there.

khjr
04-18-2012, 08:22 PM
just went shopping for a new windbreaker. so many of the new ones seem to be sporting removable sleeves. I don't get that concept and much prefer to layer in arm warmers or some other combo. Don't want to zip and unzip sleeve systems in order to adjust temp. i suppose i am in the minority.

I'm like my convertible jacket, but it took me a while to find one that didn't have too many compromises in terms of weight or complexity. For me, it seems to afford so many more options on long rides that span the better part of a day with varying temperatures and/or rain. Part of my experience may be due to limited experience with arm warmers. I have a pair of thermastat warmers that I got on closeout from Nashbar and they never seemed to really block wind that well. Plus, my upper biceps always get cold where the wind gets beneath the sleeves of my jersey.

What warmers do you use (that work so well for you)?

swPArider
04-18-2012, 09:05 PM
usually as soon as i take the sleeves off my jacket i get cold and just have to stop to put em back on.

eddief
04-18-2012, 09:35 PM
on cool days i wear arm warmers under a windbreaker. sometimes when things warm up a little, i just slide the warmers down around my wrists under the sleeves of windbreaker. i guess i'd rather do that than have to unzip the sleeves from the jacket. my fav arm warmers are an old pair of light merino wool ones from Riv. don't want to fiddle around with those tiny arm removal zippers.

I'm like my convertible jacket, but it took me a while to find one that didn't have too many compromises in terms of weight or complexity. For me, it seems to afford so many more options on long rides that span the better part of a day with varying temperatures and/or rain. Part of my experience may be due to limited experience with arm warmers. I have a pair of thermastat warmers that I got on closeout from Nashbar and they never seemed to really block wind that well. Plus, my upper biceps always get cold where the wind gets beneath the sleeves of my jersey.

What warmers do you use (that work so well for you)?

jeduardo
04-18-2012, 09:38 PM
I have never been nor will I ever will be a true fan of Cannondale's clothing, but they do have an interesting piece named the Morphis Shell (http://www.rei.com/product/803003/cannondale-morphis-bike-shell-mens). The shell uses magnets to allow you pull the sleeves off as 1 pice, thus converting the jacket into a vest. Sleeves are lightweight, not annoyingly bulky, and can be stashed in single zip rear pocket.
As a sidebar:
While on a trip, I once bought a pair of C-Dale leg warmers in my typical Vermarc size, and though they fit fine in the length/thighs, the silly things would not even zip past my calves! Don't most cyclists have rather large calf muscles? I guess that's what happens when you use emaciated runway models to base your sizing on

It's a bit like zip off hiking pants that become shorts - I avoid them. Heavier, more complicated,... and zips break.

Lose a leg (or sleeve) and then what?

Assos has the new Falkenberg winter gilet coming out later in the year. They know what they're doing, and I see no zipped sleeves there.

rugbysecondrow
04-19-2012, 05:47 AM
I am sorry, but I have to disagree. I have two Gore jackets, one light weight and one of heavier fabric. I really like the rain protection and then the ability to take of the sleeves as the weather warms up and just ride with a vest.

Agreed. I have a Gore jacket (phantom?) that has removable sleeves. One of the best kit purchases I have made.