PDA

View Full Version : Glue

FastforaSlowGuy
04-17-2012, 04:52 PM
Is there any reason my go-to tubular glue (Mastik) isn't appropriate for carbon rims? I'm getting my first set of carbon wheels soon (Enve 1.45), and I'd hate to roll a tire on my maiden voyage.

billspreston
04-17-2012, 04:54 PM
Mastik will work great.

aaronf
04-17-2012, 05:18 PM
Yep, Mastik One is like Billy Dee and Colt 45; works every time!

fogrider
04-17-2012, 10:16 PM
I like the regular conti glue. but don't like the glue flowing into the spoke holes. I like to start with glue tape and supplement with glue if you like. when I pull the tire off, I like to leave the tape backing on and pull off the adhesive. then I apply glue over the backing...makes cleaning the carbon rim a lot easier.

oldpotatoe
04-18-2012, 08:18 AM
Is there any reason my go-to tubular glue (Mastik) isn't appropriate for carbon rims? I'm getting my first set of carbon wheels soon (Enve 1.45), and I'd hate to roll a tire on my maiden voyage.

That'll work fine but I recommend Panaracer...plus ya get to 'take a trip without leaving the farm'...use in well venilated area but it works the best, IMHO...doesn't dry up either.

firerescuefin
04-18-2012, 08:23 AM
Hey Peter,

I am literally gluing my first set of box rim tubulars today...have done 40+ carbon....rim holes? any issues?

Geoff

ClutchCargo
04-18-2012, 09:16 AM
Hey Peter,

I am literally gluing my first set of box rim tubulars today...have done 40+ carbon....rim holes? any issues?

Geoff

You don't need to put glue inside the holes (haha). No issues.
A la Mike Zanc, using syringes to apply the glue before you brush
it out makes for a clean job. Get 'em (w/o the needles!) from your
local pharmacy.

To the OP, Mastik 1 is fine.

firerescuefin
04-18-2012, 09:29 AM
You don't need to put glue inside the holes (haha). No issues.
A la Mike Zanc, using syringes to apply the glue before you brush
it out makes for a clean job. Get 'em (w/o the needles!) from your
local pharmacy.

To the OP, Mastik 1 is fine.

CC...thanks!

Joachim
04-18-2012, 09:33 AM
Tin of Panaracer glue... it has a perfect size (rim width) brush attached to the cap.

ClutchCargo
04-18-2012, 10:22 AM
Tin of Panaracer glue... it has a perfect size (rim width) brush attached to the cap.

or you can go to your local hardware store and buy like 30 flux brushes for about the same price as a Starbucks mocha latte whatever.

FastforaSlowGuy
04-18-2012, 10:25 AM
Thanks guys. A quick follow-up tubular question. I generally stretch my tires on the wheels to which they will be glued, but rather than wait for my new hoops to come in, then wait more while the tires stretch, then wait MORE while the first layers of glue set up, I'm thinking of stretching the tires on some spare clincher rims. Any harm doing it that way? Is the lip of the clincher rim going to do any damage to the base tape while I put it on/take it off the rim?

I actually enjoy the slow, methodical process of gluing up tubulars, but I've been saving to get these wheels for two years and my patience is waning as the big day approaches.

stusf
04-18-2012, 10:31 AM
Thanks guys. A quick follow-up tubular question. I generally stretch my tires on the wheels to which they will be glued, but rather than wait for my new hoops to come in, then wait more while the tires stretch, then wait MORE while the first layers of glue set up, I'm thinking of stretching the tires on some spare clincher rims. Any harm doing it that way? Is the lip of the clincher rim going to do any damage to the base tape while I put it on/take it off the rim?

I actually enjoy the slow, methodical process of gluing up tubulars, but I've been saving to get these wheels for two years and my patience is waning as the big day approaches.

No problem stretching on a spare clincher rim, I've done this before.

crankles
04-18-2012, 11:17 AM
and don't forget to tape ( the electrical kind) the sidewalls.

FastforaSlowGuy
04-18-2012, 12:40 PM
I've never taped the sidewalls when gluing my aluminum rims. Is this just to ease cleanup? Is cleanup harder on carbon rims?

billspreston
04-18-2012, 12:55 PM
I've definitely 'masked' sidewalls using electrical tape when gluing tubies. Helps ease my nerves when glueing a set of $2,000+ wheels. I hate cleaning up tubular glue, it's the worst!

Thought I was pretty cheeky for coming up this idea and now I don't feel as special :)

FastforaSlowGuy
04-18-2012, 02:44 PM
Yep, I meant brake track, though I guess if one *really* cared about aesthetics they could mask the sidewall, too.

I've never had that much of an issue cleaning up bits of stray glue. If you get it before things really set up, it rolls off pretty cleanly. Granted, it will stick to your hands, leave black marks that last forever and make people at the office question your personal hygiene, but one's reputation for cleanliness is a small price to pay for smooth-riding tubulars.

nebraskacycling
04-19-2012, 01:19 PM
Is the residue that the tape leaves behind easier to clean off then glue? I think if it is left on there it will gunk up the brake pads. I am about to glue my first tubular and want to prepare as much as needed beforehand.

billspreston
04-19-2012, 01:39 PM
The electrical tape I used didn't leave a residue. Just don't let the tape sit for days.

oldpotatoe
04-20-2012, 07:50 AM
Hey Peter,

Geoff

Nope, I use a solvent brush.

oldpotatoe
04-20-2012, 07:53 AM

No need to wait 'days/hours' for the layers of glue to 'set up'. Glue tire, rim, tire, rim, tire....wait until the glue on the tire doesn't stick to your fingers(about 20 or so minutes), glue onto the rim, mount tire, center, wee bit of air, roll tire around..wait 24 hours to ride. been gluing this way for 26 years, never had one roll yet.

Yes you can stretch tubies on clincher rims...

also acetone to clean the sidewalls or the rims...no issue with carbon or the tire..

laupsi
04-20-2012, 08:06 AM
No need to wait 'days/hours' for the layers of glue to 'set up'. Glue tire, rim, tire, rim, tire....wait until the glue on the tire doesn't stick to your fingers(about 20 or so minutes), glue onto the rim, mount tire, center, wee bit of air, roll tire around..wait 24 hours to ride. been gluing this way for 26 years, never had one roll yet.

Yes you can stretch tubies on clincher rims...

also acetone to clean the sidewalls or the rims...no issue with carbon or the tire..

just getting back to tubulars, it's been a while and I was never good at the art of gluing which is why I went away from them. do you recommend the glue/tape? I heard it's much cleaner and it's effective

FastforaSlowGuy
04-20-2012, 08:10 AM
I'm not a fan of tape. I've used it myself and had shops use it, and the wheels just don't seem to roll as well. Plus, I've had more problems getting tiny "bubbles" under the tire because something didn't adhere just right. I don't think there is a safety difference, but a small area with less adhesion makes a really annoying "click" sound every revolution.