PDA

View Full Version : New Garmin Mounting!

FixedNotBroken
04-16-2012, 08:54 PM
Pretty sweet stuff! Looks super clean.

http://www.abovecategorycycling.com/shop/accessories2/computers-mounts/bar-fly-computer-mount.html

vqdriver
04-16-2012, 09:16 PM
no aftermarket love for the even-more-junky 705 mount?
i wish i had an alternative. great headunit, way sucky mount

benitosan1972
04-16-2012, 09:19 PM
cool, but like everything in Above Category, a bit overpriced.
i'd be more inclined if in the $20 price range, but i really don't have a problem with the location of my current mount anyways.

rnhood
04-16-2012, 09:24 PM
I started to order one a couple weeks ago but, at $39 + $10 shipping it is just not worth it....to me anyway.

I also emailed them to confirm availability but never received a reply.

Verdict: Its a neat mount but there is nothing wrong with mounting the Garmin on the stem. It might be slightly more difficult to look at the screen on the stem but, we shouldn't be looking at the screen very much anyway.

tiretrax
04-16-2012, 09:39 PM
Also, it's probably less aero than the standard mount, if you're into that kind of thing. I really haven't had a problem with the standard mount. I guess it will be a problem on stem less than 100 mm.

Steve in SLO
04-16-2012, 10:10 PM
Nice looking mount to be sure, but what drew my attention was the $649 :eek:Garmin 800 pictured below the mount. Sweet J#sus, just how expensive does cycling have to be? I already know I am slower than I used to be and don't need Garmin or Strava to rub it in.

akelman
04-16-2012, 10:13 PM
Is there a big group of people out there grumbling about the horrors of mounting their Garmins on their stems? If so, I must have missed it. Also, these kids with their newfangled geegaws and foofaraw should stay off my lawn.

spartanKid
04-16-2012, 10:17 PM
Mimicking the SRM mounts I see....

firerescuefin
04-16-2012, 10:20 PM
Is there a big group of people out there grumbling about the horrors of mounting their Garmins on their stems? If so, I must have missed it. Also, these kids with their newfangled geegaws and foofaraw should stay off my lawn.

Ari..there's a reason I like you...I have an 800 and have never thought twice about how the mount could be improved...it works great and seems to be right where it's supposed to be.

fuzzalow
04-16-2012, 10:21 PM
I bought this Above Category Garmin mount - Barfly they call it. I punched the digits through their website and they sent me from the next batch when it came available.

It works well, it puts the Garmin out in front of the faceplate, much as an SRM display is mounted. Everyone's view on price/value proposition of these doohickeys is to their own sensibilities. But it is well made and there's no harm in paying somebody for their work.

Blue Jays
04-16-2012, 10:31 PM
"...no aftermarket love for the even-more-junky 705 mount?..."+1

The regular stock mount is a disaster-waiting-to-happen with expensive electronic gear!
An upgraded 705 mount (either aftermarket or from Garmin) would sell like hotcakes.

FixedNotBroken
04-16-2012, 10:34 PM
I bought this Above Category Garmin mount - Barfly they call it. I punched the digits through their website and they sent me from the next batch when it came available.

It works well, it puts the Garmin out in front of the faceplate, much as an SRM display is mounted. Everyone's view on price/value proposition of these doohickeys is to their own sensibilities. But it is well made and there's no harm in paying somebody for their work.

How is the mounting system?

54ny77
04-16-2012, 10:50 PM
yeah ok that's nifty....but this is nifty-er...

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28122&start=120

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj620/MultiSports-Forum/Garmin%20Edge%20custom%20mount/GarminMount-Prototype3-003.jpg

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj620/MultiSports-Forum/Garmin%20Edge%20custom%20mount/GarminMount-Prototype3-004.jpg

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj620/MultiSports-Forum/Garmin%20Edge%20custom%20mount/GarminMount-Prototype3-002.jpg

akelman
04-16-2012, 10:52 PM
yeah ok that's nifty....but this is nifty-er...

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28122&start=120

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj620/MultiSports-Forum/Garmin%20Edge%20custom%20mount/GarminMount-Prototype3-003.jpg

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj620/MultiSports-Forum/Garmin%20Edge%20custom%20mount/GarminMount-Prototype3-004.jpg

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj620/MultiSports-Forum/Garmin%20Edge%20custom%20mount/GarminMount-Prototype3-002.jpg

This is like a cowcatcher for your bike? (Please note: I'm just screwing around. People should buy what they want to buy and ride what they want to ride. It makes me no never-mind, though I do like looking at pictures of pretty bikes.)

54ny77
04-16-2012, 11:00 PM
sometimes you just gotta grab the bull by the horns and run with it.

http://longhornbikes.com/Hub/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/customer-with-longhornbike.jpg

This is like a cowcatcher for your bike? (Please note: I'm just screwing around. People should buy what they want to buy and ride what they want to ride. It makes me no never-mind, though I do like looking at pictures of pretty bikes.)

ofcounsel
04-16-2012, 11:07 PM
That metal one is PIMP!!!

fuzzalow
04-17-2012, 05:34 AM
How is the mounting system?

Very good. Same half-turn flange mount as stock with the right amount of stiction. One piece molded delrin makes it wear and vibration proof.

toolman605
04-17-2012, 09:05 AM
I hope the metal one goes into production - that is pretty cool!

norcalbiker
04-17-2012, 10:53 AM
I started to order one a couple weeks ago but, at $39 + $10 shipping it is just not worth it....to me anyway.

Verdict: Its a neat mount but there is nothing wrong with mounting the Garmin on the stem. It might be slightly more difficult to look at the screen on the stem but, we shouldn't be looking at the screen very much anyway.

WOW!!! $50.00 for a computer mount? :help:

tiretrax
04-17-2012, 10:57 AM
The metal mount blows away the srm style. That's available from Above Category, too?

for the hipster:

TMB
04-17-2012, 11:32 AM
back pocket

cendres
04-17-2012, 12:43 PM
The metal mount in front of the 3T stem was made by a Danish gentleman named Morten Tillquist. So far, he's been pretty non-committal as to whether he is going to market them. I can see it quickly becoming a headache given the wide variety of stems and peoples' preferences on head unit height (relative to the bar). There's a fairly lengthy post at WW which was referenced earlier in this thread.

That's the rub with the AC mount. My preference would be to have it lower. To me, that's the whole point of moving it off the stem. The Garmins just look dreadful mounted topside, even though the mount is very secure. I've made my own mounts for a few integrated bar/stem combos and have had good luck with the latest iterations. I do not have a CNC mill like Tillquist though, so mine are not nearly so elegant.

FixedNotBroken
04-17-2012, 12:46 PM
The metal mount in front of the 3T stem was made by a Danish gentleman named Morten Tillquist. So far, he's been pretty non-committal as to whether he is going to market them. I can see it quickly becoming a headache given the wide variety of stems and peoples' preferences on head unit height (relative to the bar). There's a fairly lengthy post at WW which was referenced earlier in this thread.

That's the rub with the AC mount. My preference would be to have it lower. To me, that's the whole point of moving it off the stem. The Garmins just look dreadful mounted topside, even though the mount is very secure. I've made my own mounts for a few integrated bar/stem combos and have had good luck with the latest iterations. I do not have a CNC mill like Tillquist though, so mine are not nearly so elegant.

Where did you get the bar fly mount? I want to purchase one.

ClutchCargo
04-17-2012, 03:48 PM

Yup. +1 to all that.

pdmtong
04-17-2012, 05:22 PM
I've got a custom hand made polished stem...nothing is going on it for purely aesthetic reasons. Guess I'll have drive up to see the AC guys and leave them $40 richer when I get my garmin. Nice to see woody got it into production...he has been talking about it for awhile

FixedNotBroken
04-17-2012, 05:26 PM
I've got a custom hand made polished stem...nothing is going on it for purely aesthetic reasons. Guess I'll have drive up to see the AC guys and leave them $40 richer when I get my garmin. Nice to see woody got it into production...he has been talking about it for awhile

Are you close to them? If you could get one at the shop I'd shoot you some money!

dave thompson
04-17-2012, 06:10 PM
Are you close to them? If you could get one at the shop I'd shoot you some money!

Maybe it's time for a group buy.

I was all in while Woody was talking $29.95, worth every penny, but IMO someone got greedy, @$39.95, and then $10 for shipping an item they could slip into a Priority Mail envelope for south of $6!?!?! I really don't want to sound curmudgeonly about this, but fair is fair!

csm
04-17-2012, 06:13 PM
I think I'll leave mine where it's at. but if that metal one was to incorporate a bottle opener....

ajz07
04-17-2012, 08:23 PM
it is nice to have it in front of the stem. It might be an answer to a problem no one has really talked about...but i did like the PC7 being in front of the stem not on it.

FixedNotBroken
04-17-2012, 11:07 PM
Maybe it's time for a group buy.

I was all in while Woody was talking $29.95, worth every penny, but IMO someone got greedy, @$39.95, and then $10 for shipping an item they could slip into a Priority Mail envelope for south of $6!?!?! I really don't want to sound curmudgeonly about this, but fair is fair!

I would be up for a group buy. Could you talk to him Dave?

djg21
04-17-2012, 11:20 PM

I don't get it either. This seems to be an answer in search of a dilemma.

The regular Garmin 800 mount works great (yes the 700 mount was crap). It also seems that the GPS is better protected when mounted on the stem, behind the bars. I would not want my GPS protruding from my handlebars. And, think about all the additional weight. ;->

trunkz22
04-18-2012, 01:03 AM
I currently love the Garmin 500 mount. No qualms from me. Never had any issues.

FixedNotBroken
04-18-2012, 01:19 AM
I currently love the Garmin 500 mount. No qualms from me. Never had any issues.

This thread has nothing to do with current/previous mounts for any of the Garmin's..I was pointing out how the "fly" mount looked pretty sweet to ME and wanted to point it out to others. I didn't start the thread to compare it to other mounting systems...so yeah

fallen86
04-18-2012, 01:28 AM
I made my own also: http://www.the-climb.net/2012/03/custom-garmin-mount-pt-3.html

dave thompson
04-18-2012, 08:11 AM
Very nice fallen86! Are you offering them? What stems does your mount fit?

MealsOnWheels
04-18-2012, 08:19 PM
The Above Category part is awesome but costs too much, they charge $10 to ship it!

fallen86
04-18-2012, 10:46 PM
Thanks! It's still in the works right now. The way it is right now i believe it'll only fit my WCS stem. I may make several versions to fit popular stems or i may just make one version that's modular for all stems. I'm designing it to be as easy and cheap to make as possible. It also comes out quite light right now (6.3 grams) but i may just make it beefier when i do make a consumer version. In any case it'll likely be cheaper than than what's offered now and cleaner in my opinion.

I also really like tillquist's design a lot!

In reply to some of the comments before this: Yes this is somewhat a solution to a problem that isn't there but it still has a great aesthetic and ergonomic improvements if you ask me. I like the stock garmin mount a lot but I didn't agree with where it sat 100% of the time. I like it closer to my hand so I don't have to reach as far. I also like it more forward so that I don't have to look down as low to see the screen. Lastly... milled aluminum just looks badass OK??? :banana:

Very nice fallen86! Are you offering them? What stems does your mount fit?

RacerJRP
04-19-2012, 06:44 AM
I have been wanting to move my 500 forwrd of the stem for a while and just heard about these mounts a few weeks ago. I find it much easier to glance ahead then down while doing interval work. Loved my SRM head for this reason.

Quarq is supposed to be releasing their own mount soon that looks very similar to the AC mount...hopefully priced a little more reasonable.

fuzzalow
04-19-2012, 07:44 AM
WOW!!! $50.00 for a computer mount? :help:

The Above Category part is awesome but costs too much, they charge $10 to ship it!

A lot of money gets spent on this hobby/sport. And AC certainly positions and markets themselves at the high-end, skirting dangerously close to epic-ness in flavor and feel. Which to some, may strike the same emotional chord. And to some, engender the same type of response.

I don't have any issues with the cost of accessories, what people buy or don't buy or with whom they choose to do business with. The product AC chose to make is not out of line with with the cost of other Garmin mount accessories on offer and IMO is well made. Some of these responses seem to be pile-on and cheap shots over a $20 spread in total cost. So my gut says it ain't really about the money because few on this forum get wound up over $20 as compared to, say, epic aversion.

I could be wrong about this. I have no connection with AC other than as a right coast web customer. I am just trying to be fair.

sworcester
04-19-2012, 04:16 PM
A lot of money gets spent on this hobby/sport. And AC certainly positions and markets themselves at the high-end, skirting dangerously close to epic-ness in flavor and feel. Which to some, may strike the same emotional chord. And to some, engender the same type of response.

I don't have any issues with the cost of accessories, what people buy or don't buy or with whom they choose to do business with. The product AC chose to make is not out of line with with the cost of other Garmin mount accessories on offer and IMO is well made. Some of these responses seem to be pile-on and cheap shots over a $20 spread in total cost. So my gut says it ain't really about the money because few on this forum get wound up over $20 as compared to, say, epic aversion.

I could be wrong about this. I have no connection with AC other than as a right coast web customer. I am just trying to be fair.

Considering the cost of an Edge 800, the $39 for the mount isn't that bad. I don't mind supporting the entrepreneurial spirit, but the $10 to ship it is excessive, IMHO

ClutchCargo
04-19-2012, 04:25 PM
Considering the cost of an Edge 800, the $39 for the mount isn't that bad. I don't mind supporting the entrepreneurial spirit, but the $10 to ship it is excessive, IMHO

Considering the cost of an Edge 800--which I own--$40 for a mount is way excessive. Putting it on the stem is fine with me!

FixedNotBroken
04-19-2012, 04:27 PM

$10 shipping..it's not the end of the world. The cost of shipping is rising anyway. We're spoiled with shipping here, to me it's not a big deal. If you own a Garmin in the first place, you know the cost of accessories. It might be a few dollars high but oh well, you're participating in an expensive sport.

FixedNotBroken
04-19-2012, 04:31 PM
Considering the cost of an Edge 800--which I own--$40 for a mount is way excessive. Putting it on the stem is fine with me!

You just contradicted yourself..if you can afford a Garmin 800, $40 for a sweet, good looking and better for some mounting system is so minor.

firerescuefin
04-19-2012, 04:40 PM
This thread has nothing to do with current/previous mounts for any of the Garmin's..I was pointing out how the "fly" mount looked pretty sweet to ME and wanted to point it out to others. I didn't start the thread to compare it to other mounting systems...so yeah

Thread drift is pretty common....and it kind of is about comparing one mount to the other. Because if you have a 5 or 800, you're saying to yourself..is it worth the 50 bucks. I have an 800 and like the current mount just fine, although the fly mount does seem to be an improvement. At 50 bones w/shipping, I can't do it...yet.

yakstone
04-19-2012, 04:44 PM
I totally agree with FNB's post above. If you are spending the coin for a Garmin 800, get the mount you want. sniveling over another Jackson is lame.
What is that really, two drinks at dinner?

firerescuefin
04-19-2012, 04:48 PM
I totally agree with FNB's post above. If you are spending the coin for a Garmin 800, get the mount you want. sniveling over another Jackson is lame.

Value is completely subjective...even on a forum like this:)

That pricepoint for something that really doesn't give me increased functionality is not worth it...to me...yet.

FixedNotBroken
04-19-2012, 04:53 PM

+1..agreed.

And I understand thread drifting because it's happens in almost every thread but when people complain about an extra $3 tagged onto the shipping and how they will "stick with the current one" because of the excessive price "in their opinion", that's not comparing mounts. Just saying..I think it's sweet how they have imitated the SRM mounts for a computer that's very popular and widely used. I'll gladly pay $50 because when training or riding, I'd much rather look ahead of my stem compared to on my stem. Just a convenience for me. As stated above, two drinks, maybe one for the shipping. For the mount itself, don't buy a bottle of Patrone/Crown/etc.. :)

FixedNotBroken
04-19-2012, 05:00 PM
Value is completely subjective...even on a forum like this:)

That pricepoint for something that really doesn't give me increased functionality is not worth it...to me...yet.

For all the money that folks have saved in this community, I'll gladly spend the dough. But I understand where you're coming from. For me, it's more efficient when I'm training and riding, liking further ahead of my stem, but that's for me. I can justify it. I understand if others can't though.

pdmtong
04-19-2012, 06:00 PM
You people crack me up. I could drive to AC but I will still buy mine via the webstore since it would cost me at least $25 in gas and another $6 (or is it $10 now on weekends?) in GGB toll to drive up there. I try to avoid going there in person since I dont need to be further reminded of all the pegs, moots, baums and parlees I cant buy.

how many of you garmin owners have a $50 clothing item you rarely use? what a waste of money right? spend $50 on this mount an you will use it every ride.

fuzzalow
04-19-2012, 06:24 PM
You guys are pulling my leg, right? Gotta be.

I bought 2 Garmin mounts from AC. Total cost was $93.91 shipped to NY. All this trepidation over $47?

I had a more difficult time with spending the $250 for the GPS and the $60 for the cadence sender. After that, I had no issue with another $47 to make it work better on my bikes setup.

I scrounged up the money for the AC Garmin mount by going without cigarettes for 5 days.

FixedNotBroken
04-19-2012, 06:36 PM
You guys are pulling my leg, right? Gotta be.

I bought 2 Garmin mounts from AC. Total cost was $93.91 shipped to NY. All this trepidation over $47?

I had a more difficult time with spending the $250 for the GPS and the $60 for the cadence sender. After that, I had no issue with another $47 to make it work better on my bikes setup.

I scrounged up the money for the AC Garmin mount by going without cigarettes for 5 days.

Thank you..totally agreed. Like I said, cut one bottle of Patron and you're set :banana:

AngryScientist
04-19-2012, 06:39 PM
going without cigarettes for 5 days.

dude - if you smoke cigs, you're already very, very familiar with wasting your money.

AngryScientist
04-19-2012, 06:41 PM
by the way, this thing everyone is talking about is essentially no different than the already popular handlebar accessory mounts. does the same thing, only you need to re-use the actual garmin mount on it. cheaper alternative that does the same thing...

http://www.bdopcycling.com/Dashboard%20Genie/Images/Computer%20mounted%20faded.png

FixedNotBroken
04-19-2012, 06:43 PM
dude - if you smoke cigs, you're already very, very familiar with wasting your money.

That was somewhat assanine..

firerescuefin
04-19-2012, 06:45 PM
That was somewhat assanine..

ironic:)

FixedNotBroken
04-19-2012, 06:47 PM
by the way, this thing everyone is talking about is essentially no different than the already popular handlebar accessory mounts. does the same thing, only you need to re-use the actual garmin mount on it. cheaper alternative that does the same thing...

http://www.bdopcycling.com/Dashboard%20Genie/Images/Computer%20mounted%20faded.png

People here have become so incredibly stingy with pricing..we're so spoiled by each other that when a supa fly accessory is priced higher than one can "afford" (it's too expensive even though he rides a custom Serotta with SR11 that cost $12k), one complains about the price. If you own a Garmin 800, 7 whatever, 500, or any other, I'm sorry but what's $40 plus a measily $10 in shipping. We're beating a dead horse here fellas.

FixedNotBroken
04-19-2012, 06:48 PM
ironic:)

I haven't been rude whatsoever..and if I have come across that way, I apologize.

FixedNotBroken
04-19-2012, 06:49 PM
Let's forget about pricing, which I didn't even look at when I posted it. I just though it was awesome that I could put my 500 in front of my stem now, that is all.

AngryScientist
04-19-2012, 06:51 PM
(it's too expensive even though he rides a custom Serotta with SR11 that cost $12k)

are you referring to me here? if so, you are not just misinformed, you are wildly misinformed.

also, i never said it was too expensive. i think people should certainly spend their money however they want. just presenting another effective option.

and the smoking comment - yes, that was a joke, lighten up.

azrider
04-19-2012, 07:13 PM

handlebar accessory PLUS the mount/rubberbands......too much added weight

:rolleyes:

FixedNotBroken
04-19-2012, 07:31 PM
are you referring to me here? if so, you are not just misinformed, you are wildly misinformed.

also, i never said it was too expensive. i think people should certainly spend their money however they want. just presenting another effective option.

and the smoking comment - yes, that was a joke, lighten up.

I wasn't referring to you Nick, just I'm general saying it's not a big deal. Sorry if I offended anyone, I just thought the mount was awesome. No pun intended.

Louis
04-19-2012, 07:35 PM
I made my own also:

Very nice. That looks to me to be a better design than the "Star Ship Enterprise" model. (Although their surface finish is better.)

Edit: Caveat - as long as it's stiff enough. I can't tell from here.

MealsOnWheels
04-19-2012, 09:32 PM
$10 shipping..it's not the end of the world. The cost of shipping is rising anyway. We're spoiled with shipping here, to me it's not a big deal. If you own a Garmin in the first place, you know the cost of accessories. It might be a few dollars high but oh well, you're participating in an expensive sport.

I just love how products are priced. Its the same Cost and Margin no matter how they "bucket it", I'm sure it doesn't cost $10 to ship, maybe $5? So why not charge $45 and $5 to ship? Do they think with a price sticker of $45 ppl will not buy it? Is $40 better, then by the time you get it in the cart you'll just pay the shipping after you put all your info in?

I think the other way, charge $49.99 and offer FREE shipping. People like getting something for free, even though it's no really free.

I almost bought one, but didn't want to pay for shipping, don't get me wrong I REALLY WANT ONE. Even wrote an email asking to ship it snail mail, they said no, which is fine. They did give me a list of distro and to tell my LBS to buy it from them so I don't have to pay shipping

azrider
04-19-2012, 09:44 PM
After working in the Supply Chain/Transportation/Shipping industry for 10 years I'm amazed at how people expect their shipping costs to be so low. Not saying their $10 shipping price is justified but for those who expect to pay nothing is a bit of a joke.

FixedNotBroken
04-20-2012, 12:40 AM
I just love how products are priced. Its the same Cost and Margin no matter how they "bucket it", I'm sure it doesn't cost $10 to ship, maybe $5? So why not charge $45 and $5 to ship? Do they think with a price sticker of $45 ppl will not buy it? Is $40 better, then by the time you get it in the cart you'll just pay the shipping after you put all your info in?

I think the other way, charge $49.99 and offer FREE shipping. People like getting something for free, even though it's no really free.

I almost bought one, but didn't want to pay for shipping, don't get me wrong I REALLY WANT ONE. Even wrote an email asking to ship it snail mail, they said no, which is fine. They did give me a list of distro and to tell my LBS to buy it from them so I don't have to pay shipping

What is $5 anyway..? This is what I have been talking about. On this forum we get shipping included most of the time and the seller takes the hit because that's how we are towards each other. Most packages sent USPS are an automatic $5-$6 regardless..that's what you get when you purchase online. Free shipping? If you want free shipping and you want it quick, Amazon Prime is your haven then. If you're purchasing an expensive item or something larger, most of the time they will include free shipping as an incentive but for a smaller item, come on. It's not like AC is banking money off people from shipping so it's not a big deal. If you REALLY WANT ONE, what's $10 in shipping? AKA a few pints of some good micro brew :cool:

FixedNotBroken
04-20-2012, 12:42 AM
after working in the supply chain/transportation/shipping industry for 10 years i'm amazed at how people expect their shipping costs to be so low. Not saying their $10 shipping price is justified but for those who expect to pay nothing is a bit of a joke.

+++1.

fallen86
04-20-2012, 04:22 AM
Very nice. That looks to me to be a better design than the "Star Ship Enterprise" model. (Although their surface finish is better.)

Edit: Caveat - as long as it's stiff enough. I can't tell from here.

Wow this thread took off on a tangent quick!

Anyways, thanks for the comment. So far it is stiff enough when riding, no vibrations, etc. I'm testing it out to see if it's strong enough for actual usage i.e. one can be quite rough when pressing buttons and stuff while riding. And yes the finish is quite rough as i used a lower grade of aluminum (scrap) and I had to machine it quite quickly and finish some stuff by hand. I'm using my company's shop so machine time is quite the commodity.

pdmtong
04-20-2012, 11:31 PM
Today at sea otter I saw an aluminum prototype from K-edge that they say will go into production shortly. sorry forgot to take a pic. it looked really clean.

benitosan1972
04-20-2012, 11:40 PM
http://www.japemonster.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/funny-gifs-nice-kick1.gif

the forum seems so edgy today... relax, it's Friday!

fallen86
04-21-2012, 12:36 AM
http://www.japemonster.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/funny-gifs-nice-kick1.gif

the forum seems so edgy today... relax, it's Friday!

you'd think it'd be the other way around being friday AND 4-20 :banana:

fuzzalow
04-21-2012, 05:47 PM
A slight return to the OP as there are pics posted in this thread for everything but the product under discussion.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-wxR0rauEqdM/T5Myvucn7aI/AAAAAAAAAE4/nwjT9r537CI/s640/Garmin-ACBarfly%2520003.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-KfbWi1hUPi8/T5MyvnnoGRI/AAAAAAAAAE8/LooDLk4eM10/s640/Garmin-ACBarfly%2520004.jpg

The price for the Garmin mount has been changed recently also. The AC Barfly now costs:

1 hundred million dollars!

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTO7JbLLD40gFvluoijNCsS4Eq2b6N9u HfAl9bxVY3Ib8N3bFodtw

So if there was any whinging about the cost, now there's something of magnitude to cry about. The shipping is still $10.

Disclaimer: Not to impugn AC or Dr. Evil, the above statements are fiction and any action or resemblance to forumites , living or dead, is coincidental.

azrider
04-24-2012, 07:29 PM
Received last night, first ride today and I am a fan. Although i'd prefer the faceplate being a little more flush with the stem/handlebar, the forward placement is something I appreciate and prefer it over having to look straight down while in the drops.

All in all a nice accessory/addition.

cheers

MealsOnWheels
04-24-2012, 08:44 PM
Cool, I'll be ordering mine soon.

FixedNotBroken
04-24-2012, 09:01 PM
Cool, I'll be ordering mine soon.

My LBS is carrying them now. I picked one up!

FixedNotBroken
04-27-2012, 06:46 PM
Here are a few shots! I love how it's tight and snug, not just a 'click'. I couldn't run the other mount if I wanted to because of the EC90 SL stem.

MealsOnWheels
04-28-2012, 06:59 AM
My LBS is carrying them now. I picked one up!

I talked to mine as well, they will try to get it, if not I'm ordering it.

pdmtong
04-28-2012, 10:12 AM
Here are a few shots! I love how it's tight and snug, not just a 'click'. I couldn't run the other mount if I wanted to because of the EC90 SL stem.

How about some levity here...it seems like your couch/bed fabric matches your S5 in some ways.

The mount looks great. serious question though...what kind of hbar tape is that ?

FixedNotBroken
04-28-2012, 01:28 PM
How about some levity here...it seems like your couch/bed fabric matches your S5 in some ways.

The mount looks great. serious question though...what kind of hbar tape is that ?

Haha it just a comforter on top of the couch to make it more comfortable than it already is, I didn't plan it that way. Although, I like how the S5 turned out and how the new Garmin (Red/Black) matches well. I love the mount, it's pretty flush as well.

It's the Specialized S-Works 'Classic' tape in black/white. It's the best bar tape I have ever used and I swear by it. I like the white in the holes when you wrap it, it looks great.

Here's a link to it:

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=64435

Enjoy!

FixedNotBroken
04-28-2012, 01:31 PM
I talked to mine as well, they will try to get it, if not I'm ordering it.

Any shops can get the mounts. It just depends if they really WANT to..some shops are good about going above and beyond to special order, some are not. It shouldn't be much of a hassle. I got our team sponsor shop to order a huge bunch (30+) and 13 are vouched for/paid for and that's not including myself or the guys on the team. I tried mounting the Garmin on my stem with the mounts it came with and it didn't sit flush and it was too thick for the bands so it's a win win for me! You'll enjoy it.

RacerJRP
04-28-2012, 05:05 PM
We (my employer/ LBS) just ordered a handful of these yesterday.

Excited to throw a couple on my bikes next week!

FixedNotBroken
04-28-2012, 05:47 PM
We (my employer/ LBS) just ordered a handful of these yesterday.

Excited to throw a couple on my bikes next week!

Sweet! I talked to the producer of them and he said he can't make enough in time to fill all of the orders. He's scrambling and producing as many as he can to sell, pretty sweet stuff!

Nooch
05-08-2012, 09:31 AM
http://www.3tcycling.com/products.aspx?p=Integra

3T Integra Stem with integrated garmin mount...

AngryScientist
05-08-2012, 10:44 AM
i admit, that is slick.

http://www.3tcycling.com/i/Integra/LTD/detail/_PIC2999.png

rice rocket
05-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Let's hope they release a "Team" or "Pro" version for us bottomfeeders.

Also, it's only +10 deg. Lame.

pdmtong
05-08-2012, 01:44 PM
The k-edge guys also showed a mount similar to the bar fly at sea otter. it was a prototype getting cloe to release. aluminum rahter than delrin...

FixedNotBroken
05-08-2012, 02:06 PM
The k-edge guys also showed a mount similar to the bar fly at sea otter. it was a prototype getting cloe to release. aluminum rahter than delrin...

And I am sure they will eventually have them with a carbon covering as well in the near future. When the Garmin is on there, there is no ride difference by using a different material so pOtato/pAtatawto..they all do the same thing.

r_mutt
05-08-2012, 10:24 PM
I love it but it's too high. I understand they did this so it would work for both the 500 and 800. I'd rather have my 500 sit in front of the stem rather than over it. I'm going to wait for the Quarq version.

FixedNotBroken
05-08-2012, 11:02 PM
I love it but it's too high. I understand they did this so it would work for both the 500 and 800. I'd rather have my 500 sit in front of the stem rather than over it. I'm going to wait for the Quarq version.

Mine isn't too high..I don't know if I understand by what you mean when you say it's, "too high".

benitosan1972
05-08-2012, 11:08 PM
"too high" might mean too far forward of his position to easily view the screen?

vqdriver
05-08-2012, 11:19 PM
no love for us "old school" 705 users i guess.

FixedNotBroken
05-09-2012, 12:44 AM
"too high" might mean too far forward of his position to easily view the screen?

It's been easier for me to view the screen with the new mounting system..different for everyone I guess.

FixedNotBroken
05-09-2012, 12:44 AM
no love for us "old school" 705 users i guess.

Sad..I know. Seems the 500 is possibly used more? I have no idea..

r_mutt
05-09-2012, 12:53 AM
I mean it should be lower and more aero sitting directly in front of the stem and not above it.

FixedNotBroken
05-09-2012, 01:25 AM
I mean it should be lower and more aero sitting directly in front of the stem and not above it.

I don't think having it lower or more 'aero' would make you faster...

r_mutt
05-09-2012, 02:06 AM
It just looks cleaner. The lines are smoother.

Besides, isn't your S5 essentially an aero bike? That rear brake mount, does that make you faster? That narrow head tube?

FixedNotBroken
05-09-2012, 12:26 PM
It just looks cleaner. The lines are smoother.

Besides, isn't your S5 essentially an aero bike? That rear brake mount, does that make you faster? That narrow head tube?

My mount is flush the way it is..it's not that much higher than the stem. It is an aero bike and regardless of what bike i ride, I am fast. I enjoy the aesthetics, Cervelo bikes as a whole, and wanted to try something new. There are many companies switching over to the narrow head tube design by the way..

r_mutt
05-09-2012, 03:05 PM
Yes, but you do realize the irony of someone who is riding what is perhaps the most heralded aero bicycle frame tell someone that their desire to have a more aero computer mount is folly, yes?

The barfly it sits too far above the stem for my taste. The Quarq mount looks to be a much more rational design for the 500 as the barfly was designed to fit the larger 800 as well. Presently, I have the Velotech Aspire mount and I can mount my Garmin at any height I desire (guess where I've mounted it?). The only issue with it is that it's as heavy as a brick.

FixedNotBroken
05-09-2012, 03:38 PM
Yes, but you do realize the irony of someone who is riding what is perhaps the most heralded aero bicycle frame tell someone that their desire to have a more aero computer mount is folly, yes?

The barfly it sits too far above the stem for my taste. The Quarq mount looks to be a much more rational design for the 500 as the barfly was designed to fit the larger 800 as well. Presently, I have the Velotech Aspire mount and I can mount my Garmin at any height I desire (guess where I've mounted it?). The only issue with it is that it's as heavy as a brick.

I could care less about an aero computer mount...i'm not sponsored by Garmin-Barracuda and i'm no Cat 1 racer. I could care less about an 'aero, light, flush mount'. The stem I have doesn't support the normal mounting system. I am fast regardless of the bike I am on. I doubt those that ride S5's really care about an 'aero' computer mount...

FixedNotBroken
05-09-2012, 03:39 PM
My mount is flush the way it is..it's not that much higher than the stem. It is an aero bike and regardless of what bike i ride, I am fast. I enjoy the aesthetics, Cervelo bikes as a whole, and wanted to try something new. There are many companies switching over to the narrow head tube design by the way..

Lets not turn this into a Cervelo, S5 bash, "oh you have an aero bike, does it make you faster?"..i'm not about to talk about this beaten to death topic.

Keith A
05-09-2012, 04:19 PM
Okay...I think we need to take it down a notch and get back to the subject at hand. This is starting to get personal and that's not what this discussion is about. So let's play nicely or this thread will be closed.

FixedNotBroken
05-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Okay...I think we need to take it down a notch and get back to the subject at hand. This is starting to get personal and that's not what this discussion is about. So let's play nicely or this thread will be closed.

Thanks Keith.

firerescuefin
05-09-2012, 06:31 PM
rmutt...can you tell me the width of the clamp on the aspire velo one. I have flat top bars that just taper into the clamp of the stem.

r_mutt
05-10-2012, 01:10 AM
The aspire Velo one will only fit "normal"round bars. 31.8 and 26.

Just for the record, I'm not attacking the S5, in fact, I'm waiting for my LBS to take delivery of the bike from Cervelo so I can purchase one myself. I just find if funny that you mock me for wanting a more aero mount when you yourself have the most aero of aero bikes.

Coincidentally, this just posted today: http://nyvelocity.com/content/equipment/2012/garmin-mounts-barfly-vs-quarq

FixedNotBroken
05-10-2012, 01:35 AM
The aspire Velo one will only fit "normal"round bars. 31.8 and 26.

Just for the record, I'm not attacking the S5, in fact, I'm waiting for my LBS to take delivery of the bike from Cervelo so I can purchase one myself. I just find if funny that you mock me for wanting a more aero mount when you yourself have the most aero of aero bikes.

Coincidentally, this just posted today: http://nyvelocity.com/content/equipment/2012/garmin-mounts-barfly-vs-quarq

How have I mocked you at all? If you think I have mocked you period..then i'm sorry, but you're wrong. If you could post anything that has been condescending toward you, please do so..I haven't been and if I have come across that way, I apologize.

Keith A
05-11-2012, 10:40 AM
Excel Sports now carries BarFly...
http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&description=Garmin+Edge+Quarter+Turn+Bike+Mount&vendorCode=BARFLY&major=3&minor=18