PDA

View Full Version : 29er SS Rigid as Townie?

Jangles13
04-16-2012, 07:47 PM
I've got a road bike, and a full squishy bike. I don't like riding either of them on short burst around the city, to the store, the bar, playing polo etc.

I'm considering buying/building a cheap bike to experiment both with 29er and SS since I haven't got either of them. Roads around here are complete shiat. Always busted pavement, sand, and various other crap.

Theft isn't a big issue in the area, but I still want budget to be sub $500 all in, lower if possible. It looks like I could pick up a used Redline Monocog or similar. I want to stick with steel, and I would probably add disc brakes.

Anyone have a bike like this? Thoughts? Am I being daft and should just build up some crappy old frame with junk parts?

Earl Gray
04-16-2012, 07:50 PM
I've got a road bike, and a full squishy bike. I don't like riding either of them on short burst around the city, to the store, the bar, playing polo etc.

I'm considering buying/building a cheap bike to experiment both with 29er and SS since I haven't got either of them. Roads around here are complete shiat. Always busted pavement, sand, and various other crap.

Theft isn't a big issue in the area, but I still want budget to be sub $500 all in, lower if possible. It looks like I could pick up a used Redline Monocog or similar. I want to stick with steel, and I would probably add disc brakes.

Anyone have a bike like this? Thoughts? Am I being daft and should just build up some crappy old frame with junk parts?

Do it. Put some FAT ASS slicks on it and gear it tall enough to spin out at around 20 MPH. You will LOVE IT!

$500 can get you a VERY nice SS.

I just got off my 26" SS set up like this.

Fixed
04-16-2012, 07:58 PM
i have been riding town/mtb bikes forever
cheers 500 ....should be easy to get a good fun bike imho

rugbysecondrow
04-16-2012, 08:05 PM

Go for it, but go the other route... a gear it low (high?) so it is a chill cruiser. Get a bottle rack for your bars where you can put your beer and cruise the hood.

Jangles13
04-16-2012, 08:13 PM
I used to ride an old hardtail to/from/around campus, and it suited me, but it was geared and I don't need the suspension fork.

My riding now would be <2mi with a devilish hill (300ft vert x 300yd) stuck between me and places of interest. So I would probably gear it to cope with that, so as not to die on the way back up... and it is always up to get home.

Good to hear others have similar rigs. I'll probably do some park trail runs with it too, but nothing technical.

kaze
04-16-2012, 09:29 PM
I had the same objective and bought one of these last year for $300 on closeout from Nashbar. It's a pretty cool bike for the money (yes, the thermos is gone !). They sold out from Nashbar/Performance, but there might be a few still gathering dust somewhere.

http://www.performancebike.com/reviews/performance/power/pwr/product-reviews/Specials/Weekly-Specials/End-of-Summer-Road-Bikes-at-Great-Prices/MONGOOSE/p/30__1504-2009-Mongoose-Sabrosa-Single-Speed-Commuter-Bike.html

dustyrider
04-17-2012, 10:10 PM
I know it's not as fun as building from the ground up. But PHAT cycles makes a 29er cruiser. It's fun to scoot around town on and may fall into that price range, I've taken one for a test spin at the local pub.
I'm pretty sure there is a disc brake model too.

Of course if you're tending more towards a MTN bike and not a cruiser you could look through this (http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/post-pics-your-fully-rigid-ss-29er-612263.html) thread on MTBR.