PDA

View Full Version : Marathon Monday (Boston)

MattTuck
04-16-2012, 11:21 AM
On this Marathon Monday, all I have to say is, I am happy I'm a cyclist and not a runner. I get to carry ice cold water with me and take a sip whenever I want, coast down hills, and get a nice cooling breeze when I pedal.

Happy to be a cyclist.

Louis
04-16-2012, 11:38 AM
What was the dew-point during the race?

(If was anything below 60* they're just whining.)

MattTuck
04-16-2012, 11:43 AM

Not sure what the dew point was, the pros went early, I think they finished when it was 82 degrees. The 'regular joes' are still out there, hitting the hardest part of the course with no shade, and 85+ degrees.

I think the media made a ridiculous spectacle of it being a bit warm. BUT, my comments about cycling being better apply across all temperatures ;)

craptacular
04-16-2012, 11:48 AM

WOOOO! Internet warrior!!!

Louis
04-16-2012, 01:17 PM
WOOOO! Internet warrior!!!

Reporting for duty! :p
\
Edit: PS, I just checked and the DP maxed out at 58*. Getting into the nasty zone. Below 55* is nicer, and < 50* is very nice.

67-59
04-16-2012, 01:57 PM
While I agree with Matt that there are many great advantages to cycling - especially on a hot and humid day - running has distinct advantges in colder, snowy/icy and windy weather. Don't get me wrong, I love cycling. But if a back injury about a decade ago hadn't ended my running career, I'd probably still be spending a lot more time running than riding.

The other thing I like about cycling now that I have more disposable income is that there are a lot more cool things to spend my FRNs on than in running. Back when I was a starving college student, that seemed like a disdvantage.

Fixed
04-16-2012, 02:39 PM
Athletics last through the summer but there
is still life after .
Cycling is life for many athletes IMHO :)
Cheers

killacks
04-16-2012, 04:10 PM
I read somewhere that its a BM tradition for college girls to give kisses to runners.

Not bad imo

wc1934
04-16-2012, 04:47 PM

Don't know for sure, but it was tough enough that 6 out of the 17 top female runners dropped out (including defending women’s champion Caroline Kilel),
and the 4 of the top 20 males dropped out (including the defending men’s champion Geoffrey Mutai).

gdw
04-16-2012, 05:01 PM
The three runners I know who survived it were 45-60 minutes off their normal times.

Bruce K
04-16-2012, 05:04 PM
Local news is reporting that a significant number of runners had to receive first aid with some being hospitalized

BK

Aeroplane
04-16-2012, 07:01 PM
Still doesn't sound too different from the 2003 race. My friend (wisely) gave up chasing a PR and ran 40-60 minutes slower than planned, and stayed relatively healthy.

thenewguy11
04-16-2012, 08:08 PM
I had the opportunity to watch the spectacle a little from the 30th floor of the John Hancock building. Great atmosphere and lots of tired guys and gals after the finish line. They were probably outnumbered materially by the screaming guys and gals with 'refreshments' though.

I also heard that a huge number of registered runners took the unusual opportunity to defer their spot until next year's race. Given the slow times and high number of dropouts, that was probably a good call.

Jack Brunk
04-16-2012, 10:22 PM
I've been doing a lot of both running and riding lately. My running friends can't understand my running 2 hour half marathon splits. I plan and execute my events based on the conditions before me. 85 degrees and humidity isn't a reason to DNF. Get real people. My findings so far are runners don't have the gonads to finish and or will majorly bitch about a event if it's outside their personal record attempt event. Please grow some endurance balls. this public message was both for man and women. God the bitching about conditions gets really old.

Doing a half marathon this weekend in Napa Valley. Should be interesting.

Louis
04-16-2012, 10:39 PM
According to Wikipedia they had nothing to complain about:

Jack Brunk
04-16-2012, 11:06 PM
Even if they did, a smart runner will gauge their event and adopt. When I did a third stage at the FC508 3 years ago the conditions were so bad that I just settled into a just a survive mode. sometimes you just need to check your teststronone and move ahead. Finishing is the ultimate unless your expecting a paycheck at the finish. That's not me.

Liv2RideHard
04-17-2012, 03:39 AM
IMO they have nothing to complain about. They should come down to Florida (or the southeast in general) say in July or August. Our racing and long hard club rides don't stop when it is 95 out with 100% humidity. Just sayin yesterday up there would be a welcome break from the summer heat and humidity of the SE.

craptacular
04-17-2012, 06:06 AM
IMO they have nothing to complain about. They should come down to Florida (or the southeast in general) say in July or August. Our racing and long hard club rides don't stop when it is 95 out with 100% humidity. Just sayin yesterday up there would be a welcome break from the summer heat and humidity of the SE.

I've been doing a lot of both running and riding lately. My running friends can't understand my running 2 hour half marathon splits. I plan and execute my events based on the conditions before me. 85 degrees and humidity isn't a reason to DNF. Get real people. My findings so far are runners don't have the gonads to finish and or will majorly bitch about a event if it's outside their personal record attempt event. Please grow some endurance balls. this public message was both for man and women. God the bitching about conditions gets really old.

Lots of tough guys on this thread. It is April, if you live in New England, you don't get to train in weather this warm to acclimate to it. When you live in a warm environment, you acclimate to it. Just like when guys from Florida come up here and complain about how cold 30 degrees is. After a couple days of temps in the negative, 30 feels like summer. Also, if you are running a 2 hour half marathon, you aren't running. That is a slow jog, get over yourself.

Liv2RideHard
04-17-2012, 07:08 AM
That is a slow jog, get over yourself.

Easy killer. Don't get so fired up! I wasn't calling you out. Just sayin that sounded like a rather pleasant day for a run. Cheers mate!

Nooch
04-17-2012, 07:18 AM
Also, if you are running a 2 hour half marathon, you aren't running. That is a slow jog, get over yourself.

Know (or hope) ya didn't mean it that way (or maybe you did), but one man's slow jog may be another man's all-out -- don't discredit the efforts of others to improve..

Bruce K
04-17-2012, 07:26 AM
Can we all take a deep breath please?

It was almost record heat for Boston yesterday. Many runners postponed their entry to 2013 (courtesy of the organizers), many runners succumbed to the heat and had to be treated and/or hospitalized.

It was a very unusual day for the Boston Marathon and not something people had been training or planning for.

Not sure where all the criticism came from but probably wasn't necessary.

BK

craptacular
04-17-2012, 07:26 AM
Know (or hope) ya didn't mean it that way (or maybe you did), but one man's slow jog may be another man's all-out -- don't discredit the efforts of others to improve..

My comment was in response to the guy saying this:

"I've been doing a lot of both running and riding lately. My running friends can't understand my running 2 hour half marathon splits. I plan and execute my events based on the conditions before me. 85 degrees and humidity isn't a reason to DNF. Get real people. My findings so far are runners don't have the gonads to finish and or will majorly bitch about a event if it's outside their personal record attempt event. Please grow some endurance balls. this public message was both for man and women. God the bitching about conditions gets really old."

He needs a little perspective on his "abilities."

Nooch
04-17-2012, 07:37 AM
My comment was in response to the guy saying this:

He needs a little perspective on his "abilities."

No worries, and I wasn't trying to throw fuel on the fire.. just a guy that was almost 300 lbs who's now 200 and is amazed that he can do sub-12 minute miles.. which would put my 1/2 marathon goal somewhere around 2.5 hours.. which to me is running my rear off, but I understand too that for a serious marathoner sure, it's a casual jog or a brisk walk! :)

But that too, the sheer act of finishing, amazes most sedentary folk..

Regardless -- and back on topic -- yeah, it seemed damn hot, i'd have been riding and not running.

oldguy00
04-17-2012, 07:43 AM
Kind of in agreement with craptacular.

Yeah, a lot of people who deferred could have decided to run it and -easily- run an equivalent pace of a 2 hour half, but that is not why they go to boston.

I too knew a bunch of folks there, some of them pretty fast runners. All relative of course, but they were guys who would normally run about a 3 hour marathon. They were all a good 30 minutes slower than usual.

oldpotatoe
04-17-2012, 08:11 AM
On this Marathon Monday, all I have to say is, I am happy I'm a cyclist and not a runner. I get to carry ice cold water with me and take a sip whenever I want, coast down hills, and get a nice cooling breeze when I pedal.

Happy to be a cyclist.

I ran for 15 years, 7 marathons and I really did enjoy it. Easy to run anywhere, not a lot of drama or $ to get goin'. Finishing a marathon is very satisfying, MUCH more difficult than a century. Well designed and supported marathons are a thrill(USMC, NYC, some smaller ones in Maine and Va Beach), water, food, sports drinks every mile. I like ridin a bicycle but running is simple like fixie/SS riding, very pure in most cases. LOTS less $.

MattTuck
04-17-2012, 08:50 AM
I ran for 15 years, 7 marathons and I really did enjoy it. Easy to run anywhere, not a lot of drama or $ to get goin'. Finishing a marathon is very satisfying, MUCH more difficult than a century. Well designed and supported marathons are a thrill(USMC, NYC, some smaller ones in Maine and Va Beach), water, food, sports drinks every mile. I like ridin a bicycle but running is simple like fixie/SS riding, very pure in most cases. LOTS less $.

Absolutely agree with that. I hope my original post that started this thread did not cast dispersions (implicitly) or insult the running community. I have no problem with other people running... and recognize a marathon is a tough thing to do.

With regard to the heat in Boston yesterday, I do think that the "weekend warrior" mentality causes many people to push themselves harder than they should when they should be listening to their bodies. In aggregate, you can say 'there was an x% increase in the utilization of medical services during the marathon due to dehydration and other heat issues; and that can be directly attributed to the heat' but in reality, individually, each of those episodes happens because a runner either did not hydrate properly and/or pushed their body beyond its' capabilities. Both of those are under the control of the runner. If your only goal when doing a marathon is to run a Personal Record, you're missing the boat.

All my original post was meant to do was point out that for me, I am much happier to be a cyclist. I value the joys of a ride, the simple pleasures and the efficiency of my machine. Not meant to take anything away from runners.

oldpotatoe
04-17-2012, 09:12 AM
Absolutely agree with that. I hope my original post that started this thread did not cast dispersions (implicitly) or insult the running community. I have no problem with other people running... and recognize a marathon is a tough thing to do.

With regard to the heat in Boston yesterday, I do think that the "weekend warrior" mentality causes many people to push themselves harder than they should when they should be listening to their bodies. In aggregate, you can say 'there was an x% increase in the utilization of medical services during the marathon due to dehydration and other heat issues; and that can be directly attributed to the heat' but in reality, individually, each of those episodes happens because a runner either did not hydrate properly and/or pushed their body beyond its' capabilities. Both of those are under the control of the runner. If your only goal when doing a marathon is to run a Personal Record, you're missing the boat.

All my original post was meant to do was point out that for me, I am much happier to be a cyclist. I value the joys of a ride, the simple pleasures and the efficiency of my machine. Not meant to take anything away from runners.

Completely understand but I'm not gonna say I'm 'happier' riding a bike. Injuries(achilles tendons) caused me to get onna bike, outta by Asics running shoes but i still like the simplicity, ease, of running but cannot really do that.

Plus the day I stopped running I think I gained 15 pounds..

Bruce K
04-17-2012, 10:25 AM
Plus the day I stopped running I think I gained 15 pounds..

So THAT'S my problem. I never started running!:rolleyes:

BK