PDA

View Full Version : Any Opinions on Columbus Cromor?

spacemen3
04-16-2012, 06:08 AM
I realize Cromor is not the finest tubing Columbus ever made, but I enjoy the way it rides. Moreover, I have a Carrera, Denti, and a Scapin made of the stuff and they are finished just as nicely as any of my SL and SLX frames. Was it ever considered high-end? I know Columbus originally called it Matrix, but a trademark dispute with Trek forced them to change the name. Any way, does anyone have opinions on Cromor or further info? Thanks. :)

Peter P.
04-16-2012, 06:27 AM
I believe the only difference between Cromor and SL and higher tubing was, Cromor was seamed tubes. Any weight penalty came from the welded seam as I believe the tubing gauges were the same as SL, but I could be wrong on that. Very early Salsa Ala Carte mountain bike frames were made of it.

CNY rider
04-16-2012, 07:28 AM
Really, you're said all that matters.
You have it and enjoy riding it.
So what's not to love?

ultraman6970
04-16-2012, 07:40 AM
Cromor is not a bad tube, tiny heavy but not bad at all IMO. The detail is that if the builder sucks brazing the bike will turn ugly no matter what tubing is it. And if the design is bad then even worse.

Another detail too... is well known for italians to just take the frame off the factory super quick, specially back in the 80s so sometimes what you find under the paint is not always nice. That's the reason many european brands come with a very thick layer of acrylic primer that will cover any imperfection while brazing or even in the tubing. This situation doesnt happen with japanese factory made bikes, maybe because they care more about QC, well all depends on the type of bike too but in general lines what you find under the paint in japanese bikes is not bad at all. Dont want to talk about english factory made bikes back in the day QC because some stuff is really bad with or w/o paint.

For the record I find cromor way better than champion 1 in quality, japanese steel is not bad but some series are not what they were before IMO, italians had been consistent on this.

Well im off topic.. sorry :)

oldpotatoe
04-16-2012, 08:01 AM
I realize Cromor is not the finest tubing Columbus ever made, but I enjoy the way it rides. Moreover, I have a Carrera, Denti, and a Scapin made of the stuff and they are finished just as nicely as any of my SL and SLX frames. Was it ever considered high-end? I know Columbus originally called it Matrix, but a trademark dispute with Trek forced them to change the name. Any way, does anyone have opinions on Cromor or further info? Thanks. :)

When they blind tested 6 unmarked Torellis for ride quality, didn't the Cromor frame come out on top? Thron??, don't remember.

Fine tubeset, rides well. Other tubes 'maybe' a few grams lighter/thinner but so what. I had a DeRosa made of Brain tubing, inexpensive, really liked the ride...ala the Primato I also had.

oliver1850
04-16-2012, 08:07 AM
Here are the specs for Cromor and SL for comparison. The seat tube is the same as SL, other tubes are generally .1 mm thicker walled. Cromor might actually be a better tubeset than SL for large frames.

christian
04-16-2012, 08:46 AM
Cool. The next bike I have built in 1986, I'll request SL, but with Cromor chainstays! :)

bobswire
04-16-2012, 09:00 AM
Another Columbus chart

http://www.equusbicycle.com/bike/columbus/columbuschart.htm

old_fat_and_slow
04-16-2012, 10:01 AM

spacemen3
04-17-2012, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. :)

zmudshark
04-17-2012, 10:39 AM
When they blind tested 6 unmarked Torellis for ride quality, didn't the Cromor frame come out on top? Thron??, don't remember.

Fine tubeset, rides well. Other tubes 'maybe' a few grams lighter/thinner but so what. I had a DeRosa made of Brain tubing, inexpensive, really liked the ride...ala the Primato I also had.

Close Peter, Mondonico's and 7 tubesets:
http://www.habcycles.com/m7.html

christian
04-17-2012, 11:32 AM
I was in college and had a subscription to Bicycle Guide when that came out, and I was blown away. I still think it's the best article ever published in a mainstream cycling magazine.

And man, would I love to have all seven of those bikes. What a funny collection that would be.