PDA

View Full Version : Trevor Harris

oliver1850
04-15-2012, 10:26 PM
I was looking for a good picture of the VDS 001 CanAm car and came across this bio of designer Trevor Harris. I knew him from the CanAm and CART era, but wasn't aware of some of the projects he's been associtated with, and had forgotten about others. I mentioned the BRE Datsuns in a recent thread, part of that story is chronicled in my former teammate Sylvia Wilkinson's book, "The Stainless Steel Carrot". I had no idea that Harris was involved with bikes though. I remember the Crown V8 conversion for the Corvair, but didn't know he designed that either. Check out this link, especially if you have an interest in motorsports, but there's some bicycle content too.

http://freddifred.com/oldsitebackup/trevor_lee_harris.htm

firerescuefin
04-15-2012, 10:43 PM
I remember Brabham in the Nissan GTP car being one of the most dominant forces ever.....may have helped kill the series. Holbert and Co running around in updated 962s, the Gurney Toyotas, and Chevy powered prototypes were simply outclassed.

oliver1850
04-15-2012, 11:44 PM
Yeah, that car was dominant, and Geoff was no slouch. I always thought perhaps the type that let circumstances get him down at times, but when he was on, as quick as anyone. At the Miami CART race in 85 we traded pole position with him several times in the last session. I still think of him as at his best in the VDS cars, which were not so much the class of the field as the Nissan.