PDA

View Full Version : 126 mm to 130 mm cassette/hub fit

vav
04-15-2012, 10:04 PM
Hi forum;

I got a Merckx (Kessels) frame 126 mm rear spacing. I want to put a modern 130 mm freehub with 7 spd cassette + spacer but my LBS said that it will probably be rubbing between chain and chainstays when gear is on the smallest cog. Is the LBS right?

The freehub takes 8-9-10 spd and 7 with spacer. They are Ksyrium Equipe

The frame has been already expanded to fit the wheel btw.

professerr
04-15-2012, 10:13 PM
I, and many others I believe, have done this without any chain rub as you describe. Several threads on this around here I believe. I put a new White Industries 10 speed, Shimano hub on a 1980's Italian frame (Chesini), spaced at 126 (i.e. not cold set to 130). No problem.

I've never read or heard about anyone who has done this having a problem. Others please chime in if you've actually heard of anyone having chain rub, bent axel, etc.

vav
04-15-2012, 10:16 PM
That's my impression but the guy at the LBS just planted some doubt...

oldpotatoe
04-16-2012, 07:23 AM
Hi forum;

I got a Merckx (Kessels) frame 126 mm rear spacing. I want to put a modern 130 mm freehub with 7 spd cassette + spacer but my LBS said that it will probably be rubbing between chain and chainstays when gear is on the smallest cog. Is the LBS right?

No, they aren't right. Put the wheel in there and add a chain to see.

witcombusa
04-16-2012, 07:28 AM
Hi forum;

That's a shame...couldn't just leave her be with period kit could ya :no: