PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Simple Cycling Computers?

DRietz
04-15-2012, 08:35 PM
Hey guys - I might finally bite the bullet and put a *gasp* cycling computer on my road bike.

I'm thinking something really simple, no need for GPS and Strava and altitude and whatnot. Pretty much just speed, maybe cadence.

I know there are a bunch out there, and I've retailed Cateye so I know that they're cheap, but I figured I'd ask if anyone has a favorite.

I've used a Mavic Wintech before and it was nice - big display with big numbers so less focus was needed to catch the tempo.

Anyway, what say you?

Orrery
04-15-2012, 08:36 PM
Cateye Strada works for me.

AngryScientist
04-15-2012, 08:44 PM
Cat eyes are great. I just put a kong nerd on my serotta too, I'm impressed at its simple functionality so far too

rounder
04-15-2012, 08:44 PM
I am not sure what the model is, but it is Specialized. It has altimeter, which i do not pay attention to. But, it also has speed, distance,ave speed, time, elapsed time and temp. I like it.

Louis
04-15-2012, 08:50 PM
I would definitely recommend Cateye. My Micro (speed and cadence) is well over ten years old and has been great.

Check out the various models and get the one with as few or as many options as you like. If you decide to go with cadence, then wireless might be nice (although I've never used one, I hear they sometimes have reception problems, and some eat batteries). If you're only going with speed, then wired to the front wheel is the logical choice.

rounder
04-15-2012, 09:05 PM
i used to use Sigma wired and was happy with them.

Now used Specialized wireless and like them, except for the sensor which is big and clunky. I do not understand why in today's environment the sensor is as big as the computer, instead of being around the same size as the magnet.

texbike
04-15-2012, 09:11 PM
Hey guys - I might finally bite the bullet and put a *gasp* cycling computer on my road bike.

I'm thinking something really simple, no need for GPS and Strava and altitude and whatnot. Pretty much just speed, maybe cadence.

I know there are a bunch out there, and I've retailed Cateye so I know that they're cheap, but I figured I'd ask if anyone has a favorite.

I've used a Mavic Wintech before and it was nice - big display with big numbers so less focus was needed to catch the tempo.

Anyway, what say you?

Hey D,

I have a Cateye Astrale 8 that is one of the wired units (with cadence). It's in great shape but is languishing unused in the tool box. It's yours if you want it. Shoot me a PM with your address.

Cheers,

Texbike

schwa86
04-15-2012, 09:14 PM
(well maybe no one wants to ride on trainer, but still...)

The Cateye Strada dual wireless picks up the speed etc. from the rear wheel making it a really good option.

palincss
04-15-2012, 09:20 PM
Cateye Mity 8 has everything I need and not much more. I tried cadence once, back 20 years ago. My interest lasted only a few weeks, and when the cadence pickup failed I never bothered to fix it. Two trip odometers, now that's important: I use trip2 to keep track of mileage since the last time I cleaned the chain. trip1, obviously, for following cue sheets. Current speed, maximum speed, time - ho hum.

But then, when it comes to data collection, I'm not much into self-absorbed navel gazing.

rustychisel
04-15-2012, 09:21 PM
take the Cateye. I'm stupid and could never get comfortable with the interface, but Sigma suits me perfectly.

Wired, simple, one set of batteries, one head I can move across 3 bikes. No fuss, no thrills.

Downside with these old skool things is when the battery is kaput you lose the year's data, odo. Jot it down in a diary occasionally or don't bother...

esldude
04-15-2012, 09:24 PM
I like the Sigma 1609 which is a wired unit. I like wired better. No interference issues, and only one battery which also seems to last longer. It has speed, max speed, avg speed, trip meter and a few others. Countdown and count up trips or timers. It also has cadence. I don't really dig cadence all the time. But sometimes seeing what you are doing is helpful. Has temp also.

oldguy00
04-15-2012, 09:26 PM
Garmin edge 200. It is a reasonable price point without too many frills, and because it is gps, no big sensor on your fork and no wheel magnet.

apeescape
04-15-2012, 09:56 PM
I have a strada if you would like. I have a garmin on the way and have no use for this unit anymore. It does however need new batterys.

monkeybanana86
04-16-2012, 02:36 AM
I like my Knog computer just because it's really easy to attach like their lights but they are a bit goofy looking.

Does anyone know how accurate the speed is on that thing?

oh and also the numbers are nice and big. feels like using an old people phone :)

BumbleBeeDave
04-16-2012, 05:44 AM
I've got them on four different bikes. The only drawback is that the plastic on the handlebar mount wears down and after a while the computer rattles a bit in the mount while your riding. I put a small piece of black ductape on the mount rail to take up the slack and problem over.

BBD

biker72
04-16-2012, 06:12 AM
Cateye Strada works for me.

I have 3 of these..all wireless.

Tony T
04-16-2012, 06:31 AM
Sigma (wired)

LesMiner
04-16-2012, 07:04 AM
There is also VDO C4 DS model. Similar functions as the Strada. You can put the sensor pickup on the rear wheel. Right now it is on sale at Perfomance for $34.99, cheaper than the Cateye Strada. I have one of these with the cadence option on my tamdem. My wife has one on her bike. She likes it because of the rear speed sensor for use on a trainer.

weiwentg
04-16-2012, 07:06 AM
sigma (wired)

+1

tv_vt
04-16-2012, 07:39 AM
+2 for Sigma BC 1609. Wired or wireless.

Gummee
04-16-2012, 08:19 AM
Simplest 'normal' computer to use? Avocet 30 Right after that, its a toss-up between several of the Cateyes I've had over the years.

Most complicated I've had? Sigma 1609

Right now, I'm using a Forerunner 201. Similar to the Edge 200 but I'll bet you can find em for dirt cheap now that the 910x and the 500s and 800s are gaining popularity.

M

staggerwing
04-16-2012, 08:43 AM
I have the following:

Cateye Micro: Tiny, have to hit button to scroll through different screens, button doesn't work well with full gloves, functional.

Knog Wireless: The scrolling speed thing is a little much at times. Easy to move wireless pickup and body to another rig in seconds, easy for someone else to pilfer if you leave your rig in an accessible location. Using whole face as "button" is brilliant, but action is inconsistent.

Planet Bike Protege 9.0 wired: A little bigger than the norm, white only for some reason, very easy to read, everything I need on one screen, although easy to change screens, even with winter gloves, as whole body slides forwards to activate the switch. Built in temperature gauge, which has been interesting on freezing winter and boiling summer rides. My favorite of the lot, and a steal at $30. Available in a wireless model too, but that doubles the cost, and I've had trouble with wireless computers on my bikes with generator hubs.

fiamme red
04-16-2012, 09:16 AM
I use the cheapest wired Sigma. Tells me all I want to know.

Jaq
04-16-2012, 09:49 AM
I'm gonna cast a neutral vote for the Cateye Strada (double wireless). The functions are fine, though it lacks a proper interval timer. The sensor mount on the chainstay is decent; it holds its well enough yet can still be tweaked.

But sensor magnet on the wheel is utterly frustrating. No matter what I do, it simply won't stay in the proper position. Particularly at speeds greater than 30mph/50kph, it'll move out of position and either slide down the spoke (and stop registering) or start hitting the sensor with every pass.

hockeybike
04-16-2012, 10:45 AM
Ok, I'll further nuance this one. What's the best simple computer that displays HRM? My polar cs200 is a piece of crap and I don't want to get a garmin.

Fixed
04-16-2012, 11:03 AM
my watch i could get by with a sundial as slow as i am now
cheers :p

alioup
04-16-2012, 11:10 AM
I currently have a strada double wireless. It's a little finicky to set up but works great afterwards.

john903
04-16-2012, 01:43 PM
Cateye Strada wireless easy to read numbers for us who need glasses, also riding in the rain dosen't bother it either. It does take two batteries though one in the computer and one one the sending unit.

martinrjensen
04-16-2012, 03:04 PM
Cateye Astrale 8 is great. it's wired I have one on all 4 of my bikes. You can buy separate wiring harness for it to. since it's wired it means no funky changes if you remove it when riding (like with the wireless units, all of a sudden you rode 345 miles per hour on your trip down to the coffee shop). Have had that weird stuff happen all the time on a friends wireless Strada unit.
Wired means that it takes a n hour to install with a really nice discrete wiring job. Probably 20 minutes or less if you just lash it on and are not as picky about the looks of the wiring as I am.

russ46
04-16-2012, 03:44 PM
I hate Cateye. Have had 3 - a micro & 2 strada's. Don't like to set them up, dread having to change the batteries, & the last wireless strada I had sucked batteries in the winter.

d.vader123
04-16-2012, 03:49 PM
I don't know if this was mentioned, but which simple computer keeps the data after you change batteries? I know that I can write it in a diary, but I'd rather not if I can help it.

Thanks.

SteveV0983
04-16-2012, 04:19 PM
Absolutely love the Sigma BC1609. It has everything you will ever need and nice big numbers that middle-aged eyes can see well. I had a Strada cadence for years before the Sigma and never really cared for it. Loved the Sigma from day one.

If you check out this link, you will actually see how it works. You can increase the speed, press the buttons, etc:

http://www.sigmasport.com/us/produkte/bikecomputer/topline_2009_wired/bc1609/demo/

martinrjensen
04-16-2012, 04:44 PM
If you are really fast, the Cateye Strada retains it's data. I believe that the manual states that you will have to reset it but that's not been the case for me. Really, the only thing retained is the ODO total milage though. Everyother setting is resetable anyway. I love that computer, only wish you could program in the milage on the ODO. I don't know if this was mentioned, but which simple computer keeps the data after you change batteries? I know that I can write it in a diary, but I'd rather not if I can help it.

Thanks.

Tony T
04-16-2012, 04:55 PM
I don't know if this was mentioned, but which simple computer keeps the data after you change batteries? I know that I can write it in a diary, but I'd rather not if I can help it.

Thanks.

Sigma 1609:

"Battery change is displayed on screen. After changing the battery only the time must be re-entered."

Tony T
04-16-2012, 05:18 PM
Simplest 'normal' computer to use? Avocet 30 Right after that, its a toss-up between several of the Cateyes I've had over the years.

Most complicated I've had? Sigma 1609

The Avocet 25 was the 1st cyclometer that I had. Also used the 35 and the 40. The only negative was that the timer continued to run at a full stop. When they were no longer available, I switched to the Sigma BC906, which was as simple in operation as the Avocet's. The Sigma 1609 is more complicated, and has more functions than needed (i.e. stopwatch, temp, trip up/down), but the most used functions (speed, time), are available with one or two clicks while on the bike.

Of these, I like the Sigma 1609 the best.

Bud_E
04-16-2012, 06:51 PM
I've had Shimano Flight Deck (wireless) for several years. It's incredibly reliable and gives me the information I'm interested in ( speed, cadence, time). It does require cleaning the contacts with a pencil eraser every so often and it is a bit of a nuisance to set up the first time but no big deal.

The catch is that you need to be using compatible (Shimano) levers.

zennmotion
04-16-2012, 09:55 PM
There is also VDO C4 DS model. Similar functions as the Strada. You can put the sensor pickup on the rear wheel. Right now it is on sale at Perfomance for $34.99, cheaper than the Cateye Strada. I have one of these with the cadence option on my tamdem. My wife has one on her bike. She likes it because of the rear speed sensor for use on a trainer.

Hey Les, you and your wife are clearly smarter than me because I bought a couple of earlier VDO units (C2 and C3) and really have trouble understanding and remembering the menu flow. Accidental loss of data, and driving myself crazy on rides trying to figure out the buttons :help: added unnecessary stress to my rides- I finally just left them permanently on time/Odometer functions and stopped trying. Too many functions that I don't need that get in the way user friendliness- can't easily get the basic stuff up on the screen without running into a ditch or taking out a paceline-- $%^&* German design! I've had them for two years and am finally admitting defeat and just today replaced one on my most often used bike with a simpler Cateye on sale from Performance- figured it out on one ride and I feel much better now. I'm normally a gadget geek with electronics but the VDO made me feel like an idiot. YMMV.

Rekalcitrant
04-16-2012, 10:53 PM
I just got a Bontrager node 1.1 that I'm very impressed with. The ANT+ sensor compatibility is great; I can use my iPhone in a Wahoo case with the same sensors the odd time I want a map in front of me. The Bontrager ANT+ combo sensor is also very slick; it attaches with a rubber strap (no zip-ties) that holds fine but is easy to get on and off, and same for the magnet on the crank-arm. The whole thing seems very thoughtfully designed.

toolman605
04-17-2012, 09:11 AM
I have a 4 Cateye's, a Minty, a double Strata wireless, and two cheapy Astrales, and Bontrager cheapy and a Garmin 305.
I'd get one of the cheap Cateye's. I had a problem with one of the sending units and called them up and they sent me a new one for free! :)

d.vader123
04-17-2012, 09:39 AM
Sigma 1609:

"Battery change is displayed on screen. After changing the battery only the time must be re-entered."Thank you Tony and Martin. Ideally I would like the Garmin Edge 200 or 500, but I'm leaning toward the Sigma 1609 (wire or wireless). I can't justify paying over $150 for a cycling computer.

I am aiming to spend around $50.

LesMiner
04-17-2012, 10:05 AM
Hey Les, you and your wife are clearly smarter than me because I bought a couple of earlier VDO units (C2 and C3) and really have trouble understanding and remembering the menu flow. Accidental loss of data, and driving myself crazy on rides trying to figure out the buttons :help: added unnecessary stress to my rides- I finally just left them permanently on time/Odometer functions and stopped trying. Too many functions that I don't need that get in the way user friendliness- can't easily get the basic stuff up on the screen without running into a ditch or taking out a paceline-- $%^&* German design! I've had them for two years and am finally admitting defeat and just today replaced one on my most often used bike with a simpler Cateye on sale from Performance- figured it out on one ride and I feel much better now. I'm normally a gadget geek with electronics but the VDO made me feel like an idiot. YMMV.

Yeah German design can be a PITA. I do not have any problem. However my wife has the experience you had. She keeps hitting any of the buttons in any order never repeating twice. So she gets unpredictable results. The "M" button and the 2 up down buttons are just too much for her to remember. I set it for her to start out a ride and at the finish. Recently she was able to alternate the display between her average speed and trip distance. The main advantage for me with the VDO is that the wireless speed sensor can be further away from the main unit. Cateye models I had in the past were limited to mounting only on the fork. The VDO works quite well from the rear

Bob Ross
04-17-2012, 02:10 PM
I use the cheapest wired Sigma. Tells me all I want to know.

^^^This (Well, I'm presuming my Sigma BC906 is the cheapest, because last time I bought one it was $14.) But it's fabulously straightforward, easy to read, has all the info I really want and none that I don't really want, and did I mention it was only $14 freakin' bucks?

OTOH, it's somewhat counterintuitive to program; I have a wireless CatEye on one of my bikes that's much easier to navigate when you need to re-set the clock or the tire circumference. But the wired Sigma is easier to read on the bike.

Bob Ross
04-17-2012, 02:14 PM
oh, and fwiw, my rule of thumb re: bike computers ---

If you need to monitor anything other than just speed/distance, get a wireless. Those gerrymandering wiring harnesses for cadence sensors and powertaps and pitot/static tubes or whatever the hell folks are measuring just make a bike look fugly.

Bruce K
04-17-2012, 02:22 PM
Sigmas on the road bikes that don't have Garmin or Joule/Powertap

BK

Tony T
04-17-2012, 07:37 PM
Thank you Tony and Martin. Ideally I would like the Garmin Edge 200 or 500, but I'm leaning toward the Sigma 1609 (wire or wireless). I can't justify paying over $150 for a cycling computer.

I am aiming to spend around $50.

$27 (http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-1609-Cadence-Bicycle-Speedometer/dp/B0030CHBM0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334709394&sr=8-1) for the Sigma 1609 wired

cmbicycles
04-17-2012, 09:24 PM
I like sigma computers. I have a BC1600 (almost 10 yrs old) wired computer on two bikes and they have worked flawlessly for years... plus just one battery for simplicity and the cadence was an option you can plug in at your leisure.

yakstone
04-18-2012, 07:42 AM
I have Cateyes on my bikes. Simple and basic but they get the job done. I would love a Garmin but read mixed reviews and like many others have noted, its hard to cough up $250+ for a cycling computer.

oldguy00
04-18-2012, 07:48 AM
I have Cateyes on my bikes. Simple and basic but they get the job done. I would love a Garmin but read mixed reviews and like many others have noted, its hard to cough up $250+ for a cycling computer.

Garmin 200 has an MSRP of 149.
Still more expensive that a 'normal' bike computer, but if you like the idea of not having wires/sensors, magnets, etc....

I bought the Edge 500 recently and love it.