PDA

View Full Version : Removing Decals on Aluminum Stem/Bars

Lovetoclimb
04-15-2012, 09:11 AM
I own a 3T Arx stem that someone previously removed decals from. They said they used acetone and sand-paper, but no more specifics beyond that. Is it that simple: light sanding, fine grit paper I assume, followed by acetone?

I want to remove decals from an older Deda stem I own. The silver and blue just do not jive with the colourway of the frame I have in mind. Thanks for the advice.

biker72
04-15-2012, 09:25 AM
I've used Goo Gone and Acetone with fairly good results. Use the Acetone first. I've never used sandpaper but have used steel wool once.

Rueda Tropical
04-15-2012, 09:27 AM
Don't use sandpaper. Use steel or brass wool and acetone or one of those sponges with a Scotchbrite (rough dark green) side. Won't mess up the ano.

fuzzalow
04-15-2012, 09:55 AM
Most of the grahics that are applied by masks are sprayed on and can be removed with acetone or lacquer thinner.

Use a q-tip soaked in acetone, rub the graphic with solvent and use fresh q-tip as the old one rubs off the paint.

Do not use sandpaper or a scotch-brite to take off the graphic unless you want ruin the baked-on finish or want the strip that too. In which case effort was wasted and should have just nuked the part with Easy-off.

tbike4
04-15-2012, 10:34 AM
Goo Gone is good stuff and it won't take the skin off your hands. If one was so inclined to remove anodize from a part then Easy Off oven cleaner and some thick gloves.

old_fat_and_slow
04-15-2012, 10:35 AM