PDA

View Full Version : could you remind me how: Shimano 10 11-34 cassette?

eddief
04-14-2012, 11:31 PM
Just completed a week of touring in the TX Hill Country. Perfect weather, perfect wild flowers. One in my group was sorta dead in the water after her Ultegra 9 rear shifter pooped out. LBS had no 9 STI shifter in stock and she would have had to upgrade to 10 speed. Got me to thinking.

May be on the verge of breaking out of 9 speed into 10 speed, but still need low as hell gearing. Remind me of the most basic approach? Want to use the least proprietary parts such as Ultegra 6603 triple crank, 6600 rear shifter, Shimano 10 mt cassette, XTR 9 rear derailleur, and no dyna directional chain.

I am thinking this cassette:

http://aebike.com/product/shimano-slx-hg81-11-34-10-speed-cassette-sku-fw6007-qc30.htm

and a chain like this:

http://aebike.com/product/shimano-105-cn-5600-10-speed-chain-sku-ch5600-qc30.htm

oldpotatoe
04-15-2012, 08:00 AM
Just completed a week of touring in the TX Hill Country. Perfect weather, perfect wild flowers. One in my group was sorta dead in the water after her Ultegra 9 rear shifter pooped out. LBS had no 9 STI shifter in stock and she would have had to upgrade to 10 speed. Got me to thinking.

May be on the verge of breaking out of 9 speed into 10 speed, but still need low as hell gearing. Remind me of the most basic approach? Want to use the least proprietary parts such as Ultegra 6603 triple crank, 6600 rear shifter, Shimano 10 mt cassette, XTR 9 rear derailleur, and no dyna directional chain.

I am thinking this cassette:

http://aebike.com/product/shimano-slx-hg81-11-34-10-speed-cassette-sku-fw6007-qc30.htm

and a chain like this:

http://aebike.com/product/shimano-105-cn-5600-10-speed-chain-sku-ch5600-qc30.htm

Yep, done this more than a few times but you don't need a XTR RD, it has to 9s but not that high zoot, IMHO. XT or even Deore will work fine also.

Reminder, shimano 10s MTB rear ders not compatible with shimano road STI 10s shifters...

thought ae bike was a MO place? Not very cheap.

dave thompson
04-15-2012, 08:13 AM
Eddie, SRAM makes their PG1050 and PG1070 cassettes in the gearing you want. The Shimano 10-speed MTB cassettes are optimized for the directional chains and without them run noisy.

Also IRD and KMC chains are very sweet at lower cost.

As Old Potato said, you don't need to spend the bucks of an XTR derailleur. If you're really on a budget, MicroShift makes a dandy MTB rear der, around $40. I installed one on my wife's bike last year and it's going strong.

oldpotatoe
04-15-2012, 08:20 AM
Eddie, SRAM makes their PG1050 and PG1070 cassettes in the gearing you want. The Shimano 10-speed MTB cassettes are optimized for the directional chains and without them run noisy.

Also IRD and KMC chains are very sweet at lower cost.

As Old Potato said, you don't need to spend the bucks of an XTR derailleur. If you're really on a budget, MicroShift makes a dandy MTB rear der, around $40. I installed one on my wife's bike last year and it's going strong.

???

Have put on more than a few KMC 10s chains onto these shimano SLX 11-34/6 cogsets and they aren't noisy at all.

eddief
04-15-2012, 08:48 AM
since you can use a "normal" chain with said cassette and 9 rear d, does it suggest the concept of unidirectional is complete hype? or if you use all the uni parts does there appear to be advantage?

Yep, done this more than a few times but you don't need a XTR RD, it has to 9s but not that high zoot, IMHO. XT or even Deore will work fine also.

Reminder, shimano 10s MTB rear ders not compatible with shimano road STI 10s shifters...

thought ae bike was a MO place? Not very cheap.

oldpotatoe
04-15-2012, 09:22 AM
since you can use a "normal" chain with said cassette and 9 rear d, does it suggest the concept of unidirectional is complete hype? or if you use all the uni parts does there appear to be advantage?

Don't know if it's hype..but if you put a shimano 10s chain on backwards, it doesn't shift well and is noisy...shimano chains for shimano systems work well but so do KMC and Campag 10s chains on like and unlike 10s systems.

Hard Fit
04-15-2012, 10:14 AM
Depending on how low a gear is needed, you can customize a casette. I used to run a casette that was pretty standard except I replaced the highest gear and put the lowest gear as a 32 tooth gear. So, it went skipped from a 26 tooth to a 32 tooth as the bail-out gear. I did that because it was an 8-speed and the spacing between gears would have been too great otherwise for most riding. If you just need the extreme low gear occasionally, this works well on the 8-9 speed casettes.