PDA

View Full Version : Saddle rails/ clamp problem

jpw
04-14-2012, 03:27 PM
I have a Scratch Pro saddle on a PMP SB14 ti post (the head has 14mm of set back). The rails are ti and the front and back sections are painted in a black finish. The post clamp head assembly is also painted in a black finish.

Over time the black paint on the left and right outside surfaces of both rails at the front of the saddle and the leading left and right corners of the clamp head have rubbed off to bare metal polish finishes due to friction contact with my shorts on the inside of my thighs as a I pedal.

The saddle has always been clamped at the center of the rails, and as I look down on it from directly above it is possible to just see the two leading corners of the clamp left and right protruding out beyond the edge of either side of the the saddle where the nose starts to widen as it transitions to the wings.

The way to put the clamp corners inside the edge of the saddle would be to slide the saddle forward, but that would change my bb position.

Are all saddle rails and clamps set to a universally accepted width compatibility standard?

Does anyone else have this similar rubbing issue when their saddle is set to the center of its rails?

Thanks, Jason.

oliver1850
04-14-2012, 04:26 PM
I think rail widths are fairly standard, but never measured any. Saddle widths (at a given point for/aft) of course vary a lot.

If you went to a post with more setback and slid the seat forward that would probably solve your rub issue.

Peter P.
04-15-2012, 08:14 AM
Just as there is no standard of saddle shape, there is no standard for rail contour relative to the length of the saddle.

I know what you're trying to accomplish, but I don't think it will be easy. Unless you're wearing holes in your shorts I wouldn't worry about it. Since it sounds like an aesthetic issue for you, consider spray painting the area as a unit, while masking off the rest of the saddle/post. It doesn't sound elegant but it may turn out better than you think.

jpw
04-15-2012, 08:39 AM
Just as there is no standard of saddle shape, there is no standard for rail contour relative to the length of the saddle.

I know what you're trying to accomplish, but I don't think it will be easy. Unless you're wearing holes in your shorts I wouldn't worry about it. Since it sounds like an aesthetic issue for you, consider spray painting the area as a unit, while masking off the rest of the saddle/post. It doesn't sound elegant but it may turn out better than you think.

Thanks.

It's a shorts issue. I need renew my wardrobe and now would be a good time to solve this rubbing problem to avoid more holes.

I would be happy with rails without paint, but the rubbing away of the paint allows me to see where the rubbing is taking place.

I think it's going to be a trial and error process to get a saddle that contours wider before it reaches the clamp head. I need to change the saddle anyway because one rail has snapped, but I like that saddle's shape. If I can find another similar shaped saddle with the top positioned a little more forward on the rails the problem will be solved. Bikes!:)

Peter P.
04-15-2012, 07:50 PM
I just noticed I failed to answer your question completely.

All seatposts are NOT designed with the same clamp. Seatposts DO vary in how much the clamping mechanism is offset from the centerline of the post. So yes; finding a seatpost with more offset may solve your problem.

However, seatpost offset is not a spec that manufacturers list. You'll have to ask around. I always thought 20-25mm of offset was the commonly used spec, so you may get lucky since your post is only 14mm.

jpw
04-16-2012, 04:00 AM
I just noticed I failed to answer your question completely.

All seatposts are NOT designed with the same clamp. Seatposts DO vary in how much the clamping mechanism is offset from the centerline of the post. So yes; finding a seatpost with more offset may solve your problem.

However, seatpost offset is not a spec that manufacturers list. You'll have to ask around. I always thought 20-25mm of offset was the commonly used spec, so you may get lucky since your post is only 14mm.

PMP does seem to be one of the few (only?) seatpost manufacturers that incorporates this useful information within the names of the models it produces, models SB.0, SB.14, and SB.27. Very helpful and logical.