PDA

View Full Version : What are the widest MTB and Road Shoes?

jerome
04-14-2012, 01:31 AM
Hello

I am looking for a great advanced pair of cycling shoes.
But as I had my feet frozen doing mountaineering years ago I can sustain narrow shoes.
My Sidi are all cut off on both sides.
Is there any other great brand making wide shoes as Carnac was dong 15 years ago.

Thank you

Jerome

jpw
04-14-2012, 03:27 AM
Hello

I am looking for a great advanced pair of cycling shoes.
But as I had my feet frozen doing mountaineering years ago I can sustain narrow shoes.
My Sidi are all cut off on both sides.
Is there any other great brand making wide shoes as Carnac was dong 15 years ago.

Thank you

Jerome

Lake makes a 'W' (wide) fit.

jr59
04-14-2012, 05:27 AM
I also suffer from big and wide feet.

Sidis only sometimes work a little.
Lake shoes are mostly poorly made, that or I have had very bad luck
with them. No thanks.
Northwave, I have had some luck fitting. Good stuff so far.

I don't ride MTB so I can't say there. But I do ride more than a few rando type events where you need/want to get off the bike a walk around.
For this type or rding I use MTB pedals.

Keen's Austin shoe has worked best for me here. very wide toe box. I wouldn't want to race in them, to flexable, but comfort rules and I don't race.

BTW; I normally wear 13-14 EEE

Also D2 shoes is a sponcer of this forum, and I am thinking about getting a pair of them, but I will wait until NHBS next year and go see them in person.

Rueda Tropical
04-14-2012, 06:33 AM
I'm EEE and Sidi mega toe box fits, no problem, although heel is a bit big.

Bont offers wide size shoe as well although I don't think anyone stocks them as a regular item. Bonts are heat moldable as well but if carbon shell isn't wide enough heat molding won't help.

Never tried Lakes but they are offered wide heat moldable and have kangaroo leather uppers which might be able to be stretched more then synthetic.

Both Bont and D2 do full custom but that's quite a bit more expensive.

gdw
04-14-2012, 08:08 AM
I'm 9.5 EE and Lakes work well for me. I currently use the MX190 with vibram soles and they're comfortable and well made.

jpw
04-14-2012, 08:24 AM
So, are Lakes well made or not well made, that is my question (not to hijack the OP's question, but for clarity)?

Where are Lake shoes made btw?

jr59
04-14-2012, 08:30 AM
So, are Lakes well made or not well made, that is my question (not to hijack the OP's question, but for clarity)?

Where are Lake shoes made btw?

I don't know where they are made, but I do know after 3 pairs had the same problem, ( screws in soles do not hold) I will NEVER buy another pair.

yashcha
04-14-2012, 09:26 AM
Size 8EEE. These are hard to fit.

I went to Chainreactioncycles today to look at some shoes, and was just amazed at how narrow all the shoes were. Out of all the brands I looked at, Northwave appeared to have the boxiest and widest toe area.

Sidi and Giro were the narrowest.

Jellybird3
04-14-2012, 10:20 AM
My Lake MX236 mtb shoes are holding up great and are far more comfortable than my Sidi Genius 5 Pro road shoes. The only issue that I've had is with the BOA lacing system; however, BOA's have a lifetime warranty and are a great company to work with if issues arise.

I'm pretty sure that Lake's are available in wide, but you might have difficultly trying to find a distributor as the company has been through some tumultuous times lately. I purchased mine on Hucknroll.com, who has a very limited but highly discounted supply right now.

And the shoes are made in China.

ofcounsel
04-14-2012, 02:34 PM
I have Lake's, in wide widths, for both my road (CX225) and MTB(MX330) shoes. Both have held up really well. The Kangaroo leather is lightweight and supple. My MTB shoes in particular have taken a beating over the past year, as I ride MTB about 3-4 times a week. I've had multiple crashes and run through streams and mud quite a bit, but they've held up really well. The Boa lacing system has held up well, with no issues. By the way, even the normal (non-wide) Lakes seem to work ok if you go up .5 size.

I can recommend Lakes!

NateM
04-14-2012, 02:50 PM
Specialized makes a wide in both Mt and Road.The last on their shoes fit my feet better than the Sidi Mega.Worth a look

Craig Ryan
04-14-2012, 03:25 PM
I rode in Sidi Mega 43's for a long time. I've always had some foot problems, so on a whim I ordered some North Wave shoes in a 43 to see how they'd do. I'm glad I did, the fit seems better for my foot. I found the Sidi mega toe box to be high vertically causing movement. The NW are better in that regard. Of course, everyone's feet are different, but I would look at North Wave.
Craig Ryan
Noblesville, IN