PDA

View Full Version : terminology questions

Ken Robb
04-13-2012, 09:14 PM
What is a "frameset?

What is a "wheelset"?

Tyler Evans
04-13-2012, 09:23 PM
Frameset, as far as I'm concerned, is frame and fork... others may differ as to the definition.

Wheelset is a matching front and rear wheel.

AngryScientist
04-13-2012, 09:29 PM
Frameset, as far as I'm concerned, is frame and fork... others may differ as to the definition.

Wheelset is a matching front and rear wheel.

i think a frameset includes a headset:)

rounder
04-13-2012, 09:42 PM
and also,what is "geometry?

Just wondering how you would describe it. You teach performance driving. You probably understand frameset and wheelset design better than almost anyone else here.

Thanks,
rounder

Viper
04-13-2012, 09:47 PM
It's when you buy the right steel, lugged frame, you're all set.

:beer:

ORMojo
04-13-2012, 09:49 PM
According to Sheldon:
Frameset: Usually, a "frameset" will consist of the frame and fork. In some cases, it may also include a headset and/or a seat post, or other parts peculiar to the frame. (emphasis added)

Personally, I think of it as frame & fork, with the headset being a separate "set."

oldpotatoe
04-14-2012, 08:00 AM
What is a "frameset?

What is a "wheelset"?

Frame and fork

front and rear

Crankset-crank arms with bolts and chainrings

AngryScientist
04-14-2012, 08:09 AM
though the best policy continues to be - if you're not sure what you're buying - ask.

Ken Robb
04-14-2012, 10:26 AM
Well I see there is some difference of opinions here. One source of confusion for me for instance is: when I buy a pair of new Shimano wheels I also get skewers. I can think of that as a wheelset, I guess. In my experience those skewers don't wear out but rims do and hubs might. I see quite a few ads for used "wheelsets" that have no skewers. Are they still wheelsets or just a pair of wheels? Why aren't skewers included? Hmmmm, maybe the sellers want them to replace the ultra-light set of plastic bearing skewers they got with a pair of "race" wheels?

OK, I confess: I like to play with words. I do crossword puzzles and The Jumble Puzzle most days. It's been wet and stormy the past few days so I've had too much time indoors and my mind has been wandering. Thanks for your ideas.:)

oldpotatoe
04-15-2012, 08:47 AM
Well I see there is some difference of opinions here. One source of confusion for me for instance is: when I buy a pair of new Shimano wheels I also get skewers. I can think of that as a wheelset, I guess. In my experience those skewers don't wear out but rims do and hubs might. I see quite a few ads for used "wheelsets" that have no skewers. Are they still wheelsets or just a pair of wheels? Why aren't skewers included? Hmmmm, maybe the sellers want them to replace the ultra-light set of plastic bearing skewers they got with a pair of "race" wheels?

OK, I confess: I like to play with words. I do crossword puzzles and The Jumble Puzzle most days. It's been wet and stormy the past few days so I've had too much time indoors and my mind has been wandering. Thanks for your ideas.:)

'Hubsets' include QRs, unless it's a Phil or DT or many others, 'hubset, they it don't.
'.