PDA

View Full Version : Carbon forks for a 220 Lb. rider. Enve 2.0, Woundup, Serotta f3?

TPetsch
04-13-2012, 06:25 PM
A question for you heavy riders, I weigh 220 and was wondering if anyone has drawn a conclusion on this "Carbon fork for a Clydesdale" question?

I've done some research and I guess it comes down to these three. Enve 2.0, Woundup, Serotta f3?

Have any heavy riders here ridden all 3 and come to some sort of conclusion on which inspires the most confidence when things get going?

Thanks !

pdmtong
04-13-2012, 06:32 PM
A question for you heavy riders, I weigh 220 and was wondering if anyone has drawn a conclusion on this "Carbon fork for a Clydesdale" question?

I've done some research and I guess it comes down to these three. Enve 2.0, Woundup, Serotta f3?

Have any heavy riders here ridden all 3 and come to some sort of conclusion on which inspires the most confidence when things get going?

Thanks !

I think the serotta fans would say F3/8.5 or 10.5 for clydesdales...

TPetsch
04-13-2012, 06:58 PM
Yea, I like the idea of the F3 10.5, but I'm not sure I like the $800 price tag.

I'm hoping that the Enve 2.0 gives the same performance for half the price?

akelman
04-13-2012, 07:19 PM
I don't think there's a rider weight limit with the 2.0, but you should call the folks at Enve. They're very nice and should be able to answer your questions.

dave thompson
04-13-2012, 07:20 PM
Yea, I like the idea of the F3 10.5, but I'm not sure I like the $800 price tag.

E-mail your question to ENVE, they're very responsive. That said, I'm 200# or so and have a Serotta fork on my 'fast tourer' Milholland and really love it.

pdmtong
04-13-2012, 07:29 PM

whoops, sorry, had no idea they were EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLARS.

:eek:

I do realise recommending something out of budget isnt helpful.

PJN
04-13-2012, 07:32 PM
Eat less.

pdmtong
04-13-2012, 07:41 PM
Eat less.

rude...

reggiebaseball
04-13-2012, 07:46 PM
The Enve kicks ass, and they just voluntarily upped their warranty to 5 years <just because> they know it kicks ass.

Ride with confidence little man

jr59
04-13-2012, 07:58 PM
I'm more than likely the biggest regular poster on here @ 265.

My Spectrum has a enve 2.0 on it and is outstanding.

I talked to Tom Kellogg a long time about forks, and he sure does know a bunch about them. He seem to think I was to heavy for a woundup, and I trust him and his knowledge on this. He put an enve on it and I have love for it.

No troubles at all, just the right amount of feed back thru it. Good stuff.

http://www.spectrum-cycles.com/forks.php

bobswire
04-13-2012, 08:13 PM
I'm more than likely the biggest regular poster on here @ 265.

My Spectrum has a enve 2.0 on it and is outstanding.

I talked to Tom Kellogg a long time about forks, and he sure does know a bunch about them. He seem to think I was to heavy for a woundup, and I trust him and his knowledge on this. He put an enve on it and I have love for it.

No troubles at all, just the right amount of feed back thru it. Good stuff.

http://www.spectrum-cycles.com/forks.php

That's a surprise since Tom gives his strongest endorsement to Wound Ups, even over Enve and Serotta. I didn't realize wound up would have a weight
limit.
Good to know since I always suggest wound ups regardless of someones weight (if one can get past how they look). My favorite carbon fork.

rugbysecondrow
04-13-2012, 08:30 PM
I have a Serotta S3 if you are looking for a cheaper option. I have it on my Bedford and I really like it.

TPetsch
04-13-2012, 11:54 PM
Thanks for all the kind replies everyone, I really appreciate the input. I'm leaning towards the Enve 2.0 now that JR59 at 265 finds them to be outstanding.

I also like the idea that they use a proprietary molding process all ENVE road forks are 100% molded carbon fiber from steerer tube to dropout, no concerns here about dropouts getting loose.

I like Serotta fork, but perhaps being Reynolds based the technology is a little dated now compared to the new processes that are utilized at Enve.

I just wish I knew where the Enve 2.0 lies -feel wise- in the Serotta line up?

For instance, does the Enve 1.0 compare to the to the Serotta F3 6.5?
And does the Enve 2.0 compare to the F3 8.5?

I also read what Tom Kellogg had to say about these forks, And from reading I got the impression that the Wound-Up was the fork that felt the best "when the going gets seriously twisty."

"The problems develop when you put it in stressful situations. For example; hairy descents and hard criterium cornering can really stress the Club. Under these conditions, the Club fork will make you feel as though you are not connected to the front wheel. Indeed, it seems as though there is actually a lag time between handlebar input and bike reaction. You lose the immediacy if input.

With a good competition fork like the ENVE or Serotta fork, this is not the case. The WoundUp is the next step. While the Serotta and ENVE forks are great forks and I would not have expected anything more from a fork, the WoundUp is clearly a great choice for a fork when the going gets seriously twisty. You just have to get used to the way that they look."

But as JR eluded to, the Wound-Up may not be not the best for heavyweights.

DRZRM
04-14-2012, 07:05 AM
I'm 6'3" and 225ish and I have an Edge 2.0 on my IF SSR road bike, and I had a Wound Up on my old Legend (I still have a Legend with an F-1 on it). Both inspire confidence in all circumstances though my feeling is that the Edge feels a bit less "twisty." I have no particular criticism of the Wound Up, and my impression of the ride characteristics are likely as much to do with stiffness of the frame rather than the fork in isolation (Legend vs. IF SSR). Both are great rides, just the IF is stiffer overall.

I'm certain that the F-3 10.5 would be great too, I've just ever had the chance to ride one.

slowgoing
04-14-2012, 07:49 AM
Why not steel?

Scott Shire
04-14-2012, 08:50 AM
Whiskey makes a nice, reasonably priced Clyde fork. Those guys are all big dudes fwiw

dogdriver
04-14-2012, 09:30 AM
Maybe too late into this thread...

I'm 190+, occasionally 200ish, and have had good luck with an Edge (now ENVE) 2.0 for 3 years. Prior to that, I had what I understand to be the last Reynolds Ouzo Pro ever sold new and it worked great-- specifically recommended by my 210 pound bike guru as an excellent Clydesdale fork. The only reasons I swapped it out were a good deal on the Edge and an embarrassing case of Bling Acquisition Syndrome (BAS). The Ouzo is still on the shelf if you want it-- I'll give you a spankin' deal.

Ahneida Ride
04-14-2012, 09:50 AM
S3 and F3 are identical except for the Ti dropouts on the F3.
they both have AL races. F3 used to have a Ti race. No longer.

So save some private central bank shoppin coupons and get an S3.

I ride an F3 (10.5) and am 250.

and I will never weight less then 225. ( so much for loosing weight)

jr59
04-14-2012, 09:57 AM
S3 and F3 are identical except for the Ti dropouts on the F3.
they both have AL races. F3 used to have a Ti race. No longer.

So save some private central bank shoppin coupons and get an S3.

I ride an F3 (10.5) and am 250.

and I will never weight less then 225. ( so much for loosing weight)

I have a chance.....:banana:

I could really diet down and get under 250, then I wouldn't be the biggest guy on this board!!! :banana: :banana:

Then I wake up from this dream and come to. :mad:

Where are the pre-ride cookies!:p

54ny77
04-14-2012, 12:27 PM
For whatever it's worth, Edge ok'd their 2.0 fork for our tandem use, and combined rider & bike weight are--ahem--in the 300lbs range +/-.

rugbysecondrow
04-14-2012, 12:58 PM
For whatever it's worth, Edge ok'd their 2.0 fork for our tandem use, and combined rider & bike weight are--ahem--in the 300lbs range +/-.

You guy are lightweights. Sounds like a fun bike. :)

alancw3
04-14-2012, 02:11 PM
so sometimes i weigh 200 and other times 220. i have an f3 6.5 and cannot tell a difference when my weight goes up.

tv_vt
04-14-2012, 04:31 PM
If you can find an Alpha Q Z-Pro, these are great for heavier riders, longer steerer tubes, etc. Don't think they're made anymore, but are a great option if available to you.

T

54ny77
04-14-2012, 05:13 PM
Notice i said "+/-"....although much more on the +....;)

You guy are lightweights. Sounds like a fun bike. :)

firerescuefin
04-14-2012, 05:17 PM

That's worth a lot for the company to Ok the fork for that application...quite an endorsement.

zap
04-14-2012, 08:52 PM
Edge 2.0 is good for 300 lbs plus as posted. Wound Up forks for tandem use would work for heavier singles as well.

54ny77
04-14-2012, 08:58 PM
At the time it was unofficial (~2 yrs. ago).

Today, more & more tandem builders are using them & tandem-specific bikes shops are selling them, so whether it's still unofficial or not I don't know.

If you have any specific questions on weight limits, contact Jake at Edge/Enve (typically he'll see the customer service emails come in). Very helpful & responsive guy.

That's worth a lot for the company to Ok the fork for that application...quite an endorsement.

TPetsch
04-15-2012, 02:11 PM

Wow. ...Well, that's really enough for me, SOLD!

TPetsch
04-15-2012, 02:14 PM
And thanks everyone for the great input, especially from you, um, Heavier Guys. ...Some really good info was accumulated in this thread. :)

TPetsch
04-15-2012, 02:31 PM
Why not steel?

Yea, I was thinking about steel forks but any one these days really makes a -modern looking- tubular type that I'm thinking about, if only someone made a steel fork that looks like the more shaply Carbon forks of today I'd definitely consider it. ...Old school steel bladed and brazed forks look a little dated on a modern bike, but the do work well.

I had IF build be up a pair of steel forks several years back for my Ti Mojo and that are fantastic, in fact that are so good that I NEVER think about them, they just work flawlessly. ...OK, so they weigh a little more.

54ny77
04-15-2012, 08:14 PM
Check out Anderson cycles. He makes beautiful steell forks that would look great on big tube modern bikes. I was going to go with him for tandem fork if we couldn't get the green light from edge.

Yea, I was thinking about steel forks but any one these days really makes a -modern looking- tubular type that I'm thinking about, if only someone made a steel fork that looks like the more shaply Carbon forks of today I'd definitely consider it. ...Old school steel bladed and brazed forks look a little dated on a modern bike, but the do work well.

I had IF build be up a pair of steel forks several years back for my Ti Mojo and that are fantastic, in fact that are so good that I NEVER think about them, they just work flawlessly. ...OK, so they weigh a little more.

TPetsch
04-16-2012, 12:26 AM
Thanks for the lead 54, I'll check'em out. :)