PDA

View Full Version : Crank/BB Compatibility Thread

spartanKid
04-12-2012, 10:24 PM
Hey All, I figured as a resource, people could cobble together what BB and cranksets are compatible, especially across brands.

For example, GXP BB aren't compatible with Shimano cranks because of the taper from 24mm to 22mm.

Louis
04-12-2012, 10:32 PM
A while back I found an application somewhere on the web (I think it was an Australian site) that did something like this for the drivetrain. You would select stuff like crank, shifters, F-der, R-der, cassette, from pull-down menus and it would tell you how well or poorly that combo would play together. (I think that's how it worked, I'm not 100% sure.)

I bet one could find it again (if it's still available) with some Googling of terms like "drivetrain compatibility."

Louis

oliver1850
04-13-2012, 12:04 PM
good idea, some information at Sheldon's site, but a lot's missing.

http://sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html

I can't even keep track of UltraTorque cups. I know silver are the early ones with the looser fit, but beyond that the differences escape me.

jds108
04-13-2012, 12:25 PM
Hey All, I figured as a resource, people could cobble together what BB and cranksets are compatible, especially across brands.

For example, GXP BB aren't compatible with Shimano cranks because of the taper from 24mm to 22mm.

It's going to get confusing very quickly. There is a sleeve that can be put over a 22mm spindle to make it into a 24mm spindle. I bought a used SRAM Force with that sleeve installed, but I don't know who made it or where somebody would get it.

Also, companies like FSA have their own reference compatibility charts that are just a little confusing all on their own....

It's a good idea, but it would be hard to get it all into one chart.

oldpotatoe
04-14-2012, 08:33 AM
good idea, some information at Sheldon's site, but a lot's missing.

http://sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html

I can't even keep track of UltraTorque cups. I know silver are the early ones with the looser fit, but beyond that the differences escape me.

First gen, silver. Introduced in 2007, Record 'level' only. Running change to gold hued ones, 2008. Last gen green colored, about late 2008/9. SR, non sealed black, not recommended by me for any UT crank, including SR.

Power Torque introduced in 2011.