PDA

View Full Version : Three B conversion

m_sasso
04-12-2012, 09:11 PM
Anyone using the BBB Extender/Steering Tube Adaptor for a threaded quill stem to thread-less stem conversion?
This adaptor allows you to move from a threaded headset to a thread-less headset, did you make that move?
How is it working out?
Any issues to watch out for?
Is the BBB Adaptor the best constructed piece available?

Yes, I am contemplating trying one out, however I don’t desire facial reconstruction.

oliver1850
04-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Is this what you mean? :

http://www.rei.com/product/804413/bbb-extender-steering-tube-adapter

I haven't used one of these from BBB, but all the other BBB parts I've used have been good quality, especially for the price.

Nitto and Profile might be a bit nicer if you're looking for options.

dave thompson
04-12-2012, 10:39 PM
Anyone using the BBB Extender/Steering Tube Adaptor for a threaded quill stem to thread-less stem conversion?
This adaptor allows you to move from a threaded headset to a thread-less headset, did you make that move?
How is it working out?
Any issues to watch out for?
Is the BBB Adaptor the best constructed piece available?

Yes, I am contemplating trying one out, however I don’t desire facial reconstruction.

This adapter only replaces the quill stem allowing you to use a threadless stem. It doesn't replace the threaded headset.

rustychisel
04-12-2012, 11:01 PM
They work fine, I've used both the BBB and the Profile ones.

As said, they're converters, they don't replace one with other, but using the shim you can make a 1 inch steerer work with a 1 1/8 inch threadless stem which can be useful.
You can change back and forth easily, and swap stems easily (obviously). They work well.

- if it bothers you they'll add a bit of weight
- they can look clunky (inelegant interface between threaded headset and threadless A-Head steerer)
- depending on length of headtube or fork steerer you might need to trim it down with a hacksaw if you're seeking a 'slammed' stem. I trimmed the top of one because the clamping area raised it proud of a stem I was using. Just check there's enough threads on the bolt to allow this mod

m_sasso
04-13-2012, 02:51 AM
Is this what you mean? :

http://www.rei.com/product/804413/bbb-extender-steering-tube-adapter

I haven't used one of these from BBB, but all the other BBB parts I've used have been good quality, especially for the price.

Nitto and Profile might be a bit nicer if you're looking for options.

I must be shopping in the wrong places because I can't seem to find any Nitto or Profile adapters that are constructed with a compression top cap that would allow a change from a threaded to a thread-less head set. Can you point me in a direction, thanks!

Sorry Dave are you suggesting I am thinking the adaptor replaces the head set? No, however the BBB adaptor does have a compression top cap and will allow you to change head set types.