PDA

View Full Version : Older Campagnolo Freehub

kenmetzger
04-12-2012, 08:59 AM
I wasn't sure if this should go into the classified section, but anyway...

I am looking for an older Campagnolo freehub. I think the part number would be FH-RE315. It would look like the Record model here: http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/documenti/en/spares98-B.pdf

I bought a 36 hole hub on EBay and had been looking for one for awhile. The problem is that the freehub is stripped out where the lockring screws in (not much recourse since I waited a while to actually build the wheel up).

Alternatively, does any one know if I can just change the whole axle to match a newer freehub I already have (FH-BO015)?

Or maybe some shops can retap the threads as it is just the first thread or two that are preventing me from using it.

Any help here would be great. Thanks!

oldpotatoe
04-12-2012, 11:06 AM
I wasn't sure if this should go into the classified section, but anyway...

I am looking for an older Campagnolo freehub. I think the part number would be FH-RE315. It would look like the Record model here: http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/documenti/en/spares98-B.pdf

I bought a 36 hole hub on EBay and had been looking for one for awhile. The problem is that the freehub is stripped out where the lockring screws in (not much recourse since I waited a while to actually build the wheel up).

Alternatively, does any one know if I can just change the whole axle to match a newer freehub I already have (FH-BO015)?

Or maybe some shops can retap the threads as it is just the first thread or two that are preventing me from using it.

Any help here would be great. Thanks!

Steel or titanium axle..smaller OD so no, you can't swap for the aluminum axle/FH of 1999 or later.

Look for a Record or Chorus hub, 1997/8 and use that FH body..however they are getting scarce. That FH body used to be available but no mas.

Or use a 1999/2000 Veloce FH body...

oliver1850
04-12-2012, 01:21 PM
The 1997 and 1998 Chorus and Record hubs that OP mentioned use the same axle dimensions as late 8 speed hubs, the only difference in Record's case is that it's axle is Titanium (FH-RE101T) versus the Chorus and 8 speed being steel (FH-RE101). Note that if you find one of these, all 4 have different FH bodies. I don't know what the difference is between Record and Chorus, but they have different part numbers. 1997 hubs have the original 9 speed body while the 1998s have the Mk 2. 10 speed cassettes will fit on either.

Several people here have swapped 8 speed Record/Chorus freehub bodies with circa 2003-2006 Mirage 9 FH bodies. My guess is that since the axle that your hub uses is the same as the 8 speed axle, you can use the Mirage body as well. It will probably require a spacer between the axle and the race of the inside FH bearing.

kenmetzger
04-12-2012, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the insight on this.

I thought all the work was done and just needed to put the cassette on, but it has proven to be a lot more work than everything else combined. I will start looking out for these other hubs to switch the freehub on.

Mike748
04-12-2012, 03:06 PM
If its just the first couple of threads that are buggered up, can you get in there with a small file and fix the imperfection? If you can get it good enough to have a lockring thread in properly, the lockring should straighten them out the rest of the way. Worth a try...

kenmetzger
04-13-2012, 08:12 AM
Oh, trust me, I have tried to rethread this thing with a file and a knife. I think I tried for a couple of hours and only ended up with some very raw hands.

oldpotatoe
04-13-2012, 08:24 AM
The 1997 and 1998 Chorus and Record hubs that OP mentioned use the same axle dimensions as late 8 speed hubs, the only difference in Record's case is that it's axle is Titanium (FH-RE101T) versus the Chorus and 8 speed being steel (FH-RE101). Note that if you find one of these, all 4 have different FH bodies. I don't know what the difference is between Record and Chorus, but they have different part numbers. 1997 hubs have the original 9 speed body while the 1998s have the Mk 2. 10 speed cassettes will fit on either.

Several people here have swapped 8 speed Record/Chorus freehub bodies with circa 2003-2006 Mirage 9 FH bodies. My guess is that since the axle that your hub uses is the same as the 8 speed axle, you can use the Mirage body as well. It will probably require a spacer between the axle and the race of the inside FH bearing.

Ti pawl carrier vs steel pawl carrier-Record->Chorus.

True about the FH body in that era off the cart bearing hubs, like Mirage, some later Veloce.