PDA

View Full Version : Broken fork... How to proceed?

markie
04-11-2012, 07:14 PM
So good paceline forum folks I have a question for you.

I was out on the trails on my cross bike at the weekend. I rolled down a tricky downhill, a bit too steep for comfort. Right at the end , just as it turned to flat and the rocks became smaller, I nailed a stone and got a flat. No big deal it was a nice sunny day and I had my patch kit. Just taking my time enjoying being out, till I look at my fork, a unicrown which has a crack almost the whole way around the weld.

So should I get a second hand fork in a different colour.

A new IF fork for $450

Or get Circle A to build me a fork and refinish my frame. ($700ish)

It is a well loved bike, so what would you do?

Pic of bike here:

http://bikecentric.blogspot.com/2011/08/i-just-need-little-something-to-take.html

ultraman6970
04-11-2012, 07:25 PM
450 for a fork??? are made of gold or something?? just asking because im sure they make the forks by millions a day, specially those ones.

The bike is not under warranty no more?

markie
04-11-2012, 07:39 PM
Yeah, IF forks are $450. I got my planet X used about 7 years ago and it has seen a lot of miles since then. So no warranty.

jeo99
04-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Tough luck! However wrong Forum, this should be taken up in the "General Discussion" forum!

:no::confused:

xjahx
04-11-2012, 07:48 PM
What steerer length do you need? Standard axle to crown? I have 10 IF cross forks from my old shop and builds. Name your numbers, and I will find one for you.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7114/7069308241_6f62072fe7_c.jpg

markie
04-11-2012, 07:49 PM
Tough luck! However wrong Forum, this should be taken up in the "General Discussion" forum!

:no::confused:

Sorry. I thought I had. Mea Culpa.

markie
04-11-2012, 07:50 PM
What steerer length do you need? Standard axle to crown? I have 10 IF cross forks from my old shop and builds. Name your numbers, and I will find one for you.

Yeah, you are one of my options! :) (Thanks for coming through on the forum. I just cannot make a decision and thought it would be cool to get some forum advice.)

bobswire
04-11-2012, 08:11 PM
Yeah, you are one of my options! :) (Thanks for coming through on the forum. I just cannot make a decision and thought it would be cool to get some forum advice.)

That's why I love this forum! xjahx really came through for you.

William
04-11-2012, 08:29 PM
That's why I love this forum! xjahx really came through for you.

Agree with BW. So many good folk here!:cool:

William

AngryScientist
04-11-2012, 08:35 PM
Really sweet bike you've got there, I'd definitely take Xajx up on his offer. Glad you weren't hurt in the process.

pdmtong
04-11-2012, 08:37 PM
dude, dont eff around. if jeff can help you, look no further.

as for his fork picture, clearly that is a place with no earthquakes...

jerome
04-12-2012, 04:21 AM
get a new fork for sure and have it refinished for inspection by IF only
Might be a bout costly but it is money well spend.
You can't sell a doubtful bike and you can 't through it away either.

So ...
take no risk

best

Peter P.
04-12-2012, 06:05 AM
Have you contacted IF? If the frame cracked at a weld, they may cover it under their warranty, then it won't cost you a dime. It never hurts to ask, even for the cost of sending it back to IF. Besides, if they get to examine it they may discover something that enables them to improve their product.

markie
04-12-2012, 04:48 PM
So looks like the consensus is to get a fork from XjahX....

So my PM is sent. Hopefully the steerer will be long enough and the fork will be for cantilever brakes and have a 1 inch steerer....