PDA

View Full Version : what do you hear

majorpat
04-11-2012, 07:08 PM
in your head when you are riding alone? Since I got hooked on biking in the mid 80's I hear all those cheese-ball John Tesh instrumentals from the CBS Sports coverage. Not all the time, thankfully, but when I am chasing J-F Bernard up La Plagne I hear it.

What do you hear?

David Kirk
04-11-2012, 07:57 PM
My heartbeat and inner dialog.............and sometimes Tow Waits.

dave

fuzzalow
04-11-2012, 08:00 PM
Whilst climbing hills of moderate to extended duration: Moby Dick by Led Zeppelin

singlecross
04-11-2012, 08:02 PM
Paul Sherwen telling the viewing audience that I'm " ...on the rivet with the big turbo diesel whistling now..."

Or the sweet sound of gravel crunching under the tires.

singlecross

rwsaunders
04-11-2012, 08:18 PM
I have a couple of sections on my regular route where I cycle beside some CCC era stone walls. I love hearing the sound of the drivetrain echoing off of the walls. Other than that, my grey matter is full of happy thoughts and songs.:cool:

aaronv
04-11-2012, 08:33 PM
Lately it has been the Mogwai song that is paired with this short clip from 30 Century Man
http://www.nowness.com/day/2010/12/6/1179/thirty-century-man
(http://www.nowness.com/day/2010/12/6/1179/thirty-century-man)

CaliFly
04-11-2012, 08:40 PM
As I was going out the door for my last ride my older son was singing "I've been through the desert on a horse with no name...".

It got stuck in my head.

I don't know the lyrics beyond those words.

I rode for three hours.

:help:

Andrewlcox
04-11-2012, 10:00 PM
I keep telling myself to go in order to get ready for the fondo or century. I don't want to fail.

rab
04-11-2012, 10:25 PM
So random it seems, but typically a couple songs that get stuck in my head either because it is something I like, something I have heard recently/a lot, and then sometimes the really odd, completely out of nowhere song that I really don't like. Those are the worst, it is like my brain is trying to torture me for some reason. I have spent a lot of time trying to decide why this happens and/or trying to get rid of the offensive song, generally with little success.

Usually manage to adjust the song's beat to something in sync with my cadence.

Kirk007
04-11-2012, 10:27 PM
for better or worse, random talks with myself about whatever problems are rattling around up there. Music might be nicer, but I get a lot of god thinking done on the bike

zmudshark
04-11-2012, 10:30 PM
My heartbeat and inner dialog.............and sometimes Tow Waits.

dave

Got to get behind the mule...

67-59
04-11-2012, 10:33 PM
Random and variable. Sometimes music, sometimes what's happened that day, sometimes a race or other sporting event I just saw...and when I'm climbing and standing, Phil Liggett talking about me "dancing on the pedals."

:banana:

UKBROOKLYN
04-11-2012, 10:53 PM
When I am climbing I start the Phil Liggett thing and if I catch up with the guys I am riding with I push hard to pass a couple of them just before the top.. and then they can hear me too..."and so this wily Englishman has crept up and now pushes past topping a valiant effort here in the alps and all thats left now is to hang on for dear life as he cruises to yet another jersey"

Then I reach the top ...run out of puff and can be seen checking that my lungs and liver have stayed in my body as the crew ease by...

Then I just whistle or hum back down the hill..

spartanKid
04-11-2012, 10:58 PM
As the ride gets harder I really begin to notice I can hear myself suck wind.

zetroc
04-11-2012, 10:59 PM
Usually whatever I've been listening to a lot of recently... tom waits, beirut, dethklok, the clash, the stooges, david bowie, kyuss, the flaming lips, queens of the stone age.

kohlboto
04-11-2012, 11:05 PM
Songs from the shows that I watch with my son...Mickey Mouse Clubhouse (at least it's done by They Might Be Giants), Phineas and Ferb, Jungle Junction, Toy Story, Cars...the occasional Dora the Explorer...these days Disney supplies the soundtrack of my life and the internal tunes for my rides

benitosan1972
04-11-2012, 11:46 PM
When I am climbing I start the Phil Liggett thing and if I catch up with the guys I am riding with I push hard to pass a couple of them just before the top.. and then they can hear me too..."and so this wily Englishman has crept up and now pushes past topping a valiant effort here in the alps and all thats left now is to hang on for dear life as he cruises to yet another jersey"

Then I reach the top ...run out of puff and can be seen checking that my lungs and liver have stayed in my body as the crew ease by...

Then I just whistle or hum back down the hill..

Hey, me too! Phil Ligget's voice gets me pumped as well as brings me back down. He needs to record motivational speeches & bedtime stories ;)

Scuzzer
04-12-2012, 01:21 AM
Lately I can't get Foghat's Slowride out of my head while riding uphill and I don't know many of the lyrics so it's just "Slowride, take it easy" over and over. It's gotten so bad that a buddy recommended I stop by this site and look for a reasonably priced compact crankset.

We also use the ubiquitous theme from Gilligan's Island when we hit the 3 hour mark on a 4 or 5 hour ride. It's goofy and cheesy but it's something to do while riding all afternoon.

UKBROOKLYN
04-12-2012, 06:59 AM
The neuroscientist Oliver Sacks has written quite a bit about what he calls brain worms in his recent book Musicophilia.

Heres a little video of him talking about catchy tunes.. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgF-Emmtd9s)

DRZRM
04-12-2012, 09:01 AM
Funny you should ask, every time I ride off road lately I get Sinéad O'Conner's "Black Boys on Mopeds" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n14lwdpYkAA) stuck in my head. I had literally not heard the song in 20 years until I just looked for a link on youtube just now and was pleasantly reminded, given all her recent craziness, what a powerful singer/songwriter she was in her prime. Thanks for reminding me.

tiretrax
04-12-2012, 09:14 AM
Mostly, it's my inner monologue wondering why I keep eating too much and can't get my weight under 190 so I can be faster. For some reason, the songs that keep replaying are awful 80's songs by Hall and Oates. Sarah Smile was stuck in my head for several hundred miles last summer.

jr59
04-12-2012, 09:22 AM
wind noise.

Heart pumping
teeth grinding
me saying "shut up legs"

Then I get on my bike!:banana:

phcollard
04-12-2012, 09:25 AM
My heavy breathing and the wind. It's forbidden to listen to music while riding here in Montreal. And it's enforced!

DRZRM
04-12-2012, 09:40 AM
I think he meant what tune or soundtrack gets stuck in your head, not actually what you are listening to. What I'm actually usually listening to is the sound of a fat guy on a bike too nice for his fitness level weezing his way slowly up a climb...

My heavy breathing and the wind. It's forbidden to listen to music while riding here in Montreal. And it's enforced!

phcollard
04-12-2012, 09:43 AM
I think he meant what tune or soundtrack gets stuck in your head, not actually what you are listening to. What I'm actually usually listening to is the sound of a fat guy on a bike too nice for his fitness level weezing his way slowly up a climb...

Ah sorry I didn't get it! What I heard this morning is "f*ck where's the end of that hill" :D

Nooch
04-12-2012, 09:52 AM
whatever awful pop music i've come accross lately.. currently a lot of david guetta/nicki minaj..

chwupper
04-12-2012, 09:53 AM
Unfortunately, after reading certain posts, I think I'm going to have Hall and Oates "Private Eyes" in my head. Let you know after my commute...

Mike748
04-12-2012, 10:51 AM
I ride alone alot, and I used to motorcycle long distance alot. Seems like the same songs pop up in my head year after year. Mostly classsic rock (although it wasn't classic yet when I first heard it!). Often Neil Young. And my perennial favorite 'Bicycle built for two'. Cheesy but at least its a cycling song.

UKBROOKLYN
04-12-2012, 11:01 AM
Reading this thread shows that most of us get stuck with songs that we are not particularly partial to. Repeating and repeating. I have managed to stop the craziness by actively changing tunes.

Say for instance I have some awful Eagles tune playing... and I am not an eagles fan and where did that come from... I start singing an Elgar tune or a snippet of a Bach cantata.. Force the pop music off the road and plow on with magnificat Magnificat MAGNIFICAT.... Then I am into Hertz Und Mund und Tat Und Leben and all is right with the world..

Bob Loblaw
04-12-2012, 11:25 AM
"On a bike your consciousness is small. The harder you work, the smaller it gets. Every thought that arises is immediately and utterly true, every unexpected event is something you’d known all along but had only forgotten for a moment. A pounding riff from a song, a bit of long division that starts over and over, a magnified anger at someone, is enough to fill your thoughts."

-Tim Krabbe, The Rider

UKBROOKLYN
04-12-2012, 11:27 AM
I don't find riding mind narrowing at all. The exact opposite. I find it more like a mind expanding meditation. I get a lot of good thinking, dreaming, creating done when I am riding.

chwupper
04-12-2012, 12:20 PM
Unfortunately, after reading certain posts, I think I'm going to have Hall and Oates "Private Eyes" in my head. Let you know after my commute...

Happy to report that it was Def Leppard's "Rock of Ages". Not sure my mind expanded too much...

Andrewlcox
04-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Funny you should ask, every time I ride off road lately I get Sinéad O'Conner's "Black Boys on Mopeds" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n14lwdpYkAA) stuck in my head. I had literally not heard the song in 20 years until I just looked for a link on youtube just now and was pleasantly reminded, given all her recent craziness, what a powerful singer/songwriter she was in her prime. Thanks for reminding me.

Thanks for that! I just bought it on iTunes because of your post.

Did you ever like the song Sunday Bloody Sunday by U2? That gets in head on occasion while riding.

Sorry for the thread drift but it confuses me why the MPAA wants to pull down every song. That link just made the Label a sale thanks to impulse buying.

Andy

Fixed
04-12-2012, 01:44 PM
Ringing of the spheres
Cheers

benitosan1972
04-12-2012, 09:27 PM
Happy to report that it was Def Leppard's "Rock of Ages". Not sure my mind expanded too much...

Good band, good riding music, better if you rock a mullet :banana:

93legendti
04-13-2012, 07:09 AM
I do my best thinking on the bike when my stem mounted iPhone is playing '70's rock. I have playlists set up so "Muskrat Love" doesn't ruin the ride.

DRZRM
04-13-2012, 07:48 AM
Did you ever like the song Sunday Bloody Sunday by U2? That gets in head on occasion while riding.

Indeed I did, it has not been stuck in my head in recent memory, but I'll report back.

AgilisMerlin
04-13-2012, 07:53 AM
my head is a constant motion machine.

it's all (about) the circles

jvp
04-13-2012, 07:57 AM
Sometimes when I'm working hard in flat uninterrupted open country I play the old NFL film's version of "what do you say to a drunken sailer" in my head, like they would play documenting an epic long drive down the field. It just seems appropriate.

Tom
04-13-2012, 07:58 AM
Going good? The guitar break from Walter Trout's version of "Give Me Back My Wig".

Going poorly? NRBQ - RC Cola and a Moon Pie. I have no idea, I like that tune a lot. Terry Adam's piano on that is completely out of sight, the little stutters starting the phrases, the whole thing. Weird.

Bike path returning to town, when there are people on it? I always get Junco Partner going.

"Oh, down the road came a poor little junco
and he was loaded as he could be
knocked out, knocked out loaded
wobbling, all over the street..."

but you have to do the chorus, too.

"give him water, when he get thirsty
tell him that water is mighty fine wine
give him attention, when he get sickly
give him the graveyard, lord when he die."

MattTuck
04-19-2012, 09:21 AM
Last night I found my brain playing the 12 days of christmas. Later in the ride, it was rudolph. Very strange. Considering I don't think I could right now even tell you 4 of the items in the 12 days of christmas...

cmg
04-19-2012, 09:33 AM
currently this week it's modest mouse's We've got everything. but usually it's some surf tune, mermen or something like that. dig the Mogwai tune. have one of ther cds. thanks for the link.