PDA

View Full Version : Campy Tuning Question

UKBROOKLYN
04-11-2012, 04:38 PM
So you Campy heads.. I built up the bike with Campy 11 speed and have a question. I have the thing dialed in pretty close.. everything very smooth very quiet.

There are one or two times when I am reaching the limit of the small plate and don't want to switch to the big one as I am about to hit a climb.. so I am down approaching the 12 tooth cog and I get a little hint of drag on the from mech. I have tried to dial it in so it works everywhere with no rub but I have found that moving the front mech over with the brifter one click releases the rub.

Is this what you guys do or am I missing something.

dan682
04-11-2012, 07:02 PM
Yes that's how mine is setup. Without trimming the front, it will start to rub in the 3rd smallest cog. I can trim 2 clicks in the small ring, then the 3rd will shift to the big ring. I can be in the big ring and any cog with no rubbing in the front.

christian
04-11-2012, 07:10 PM
This indeed is the magic of the Campagnolo trim.

UKBROOKLYN
04-11-2012, 07:22 PM
I have found that indeed the big plate works rub free on all cogs.

I wondered at first about the three click thing with the front Mech but its really great because setting it up like that obviates the need for lots of adjuster twiddling.

Just wanted to check I wasn't doing something that is "against the rules"
I have been sort of surprised how easy it has been to set up.

oldpotatoe
04-12-2012, 07:34 AM
So you Campy heads.. I built up the bike with Campy 11 speed and have a question. I have the thing dialed in pretty close.. everything very smooth very quiet.

There are one or two times when I am reaching the limit of the small plate and don't want to switch to the big one as I am about to hit a climb.. so I am down approaching the 12 tooth cog and I get a little hint of drag on the from mech. I have tried to dial it in so it works everywhere with no rub but I have found that moving the front mech over with the brifter one click releases the rub.

Is this what you guys do or am I missing something.

You gots it, the Campagnolo FD is not designed to be trimless...

Ramjm_2000
04-12-2012, 08:46 AM
As above...gotta love the trim!:banana:

ultraman6970
04-12-2012, 09:04 AM
Another detail... i would try to avoid the 39x12 crossing. That you can do some combinations doesnt mean it is the right thing to do, chain crossing you know.

laupsi
04-12-2012, 09:08 AM
I had my SR 11 spd set up this same way but didn't feel accustomed to having to trim while in the 39. took things up w/my LBS and they realigned things. I now have nothing to trim while in the 39, granted I don't go to a 12/39. I do have to trim while in the big ring from the 14 on down but this suites me.

UKBROOKLYN
04-12-2012, 10:54 AM
My setup is 50/34 27/12

It's only when I am in 34 down near the 12 that I have to do a click trim.

The other way around.. no problem silent running. I don't make a habit of drastic cross training but it is nice to know how well it can work in extremis.