learningtoride
04-11-2012, 03:14 PM

Bob Loblaw
04-11-2012, 06:58 PM
That is a damn shame. So much talent.

BL

pdmtong
04-11-2012, 07:03 PM
Well, it's a shame. Saw him in a little club a few years ago and will be going to his memorial, also at a small venue...classic bay area metal.

The Bay Area music community came together and announced a concert to honor a San Francisco guitar legend. "A Concert for Ronnie Montrose - A Celebration of His Life in Music" will be held at the Regency Ballroom in San Francisco on April 27 and tickets were gone within minutes. Thank you Bay Area Music fans for your support!

"A Concert For Ronnie Montrose - A Celebration of His Life In Music" will feature the original Montrose lineup (Sammy Hagar, vocals; Bill Church, bass; and Denny Carmassi, drums), performing the landmark first Montrose album, with special guest Joe Satriani on lead guitar. The original Gamma lineup (Davey Pattison, vocals; Glenn Letsch, bass; Denny Carmassi, drums) will also be on hand, with special guest Marc Bonilla on lead guitar. There will also be an All-Star band, composed of many of the great musicians that Ronnie played with over the years. Some of those confirmed artists include: Neal Schon from Journey, Steve Smith formerly from Journey, members of Tesla, Eric Martin from Mr. Big, Rickie Philips from Styx, Eric Singer from KISS, Tommy Thayer of KISS and Jimmy DeGrasso from Y & T and Alice Cooper.

93legendti
04-11-2012, 07:11 PM
Van Morrison>Edgar Winter>Montrose- lots of variety, but Ronnie always played the right notes and the right amount of notes. Huge tone; awesome versatility.

I keep the 1rst Montrose CD in my car's CD changer. My kids love that cd.

William
04-11-2012, 07:51 PM
Van Morrison>Edgar Winter>Montrose- lots of variety, but Ronnie always played the right notes and the right amount of notes. Huge tone; awesome versatility.

I keep the 1rst Montrose CD in my car's CD changer. My kids love that cd.

Thanks for the memory boost Adam. I need to re-add that to my collection.

William

93legendti
04-11-2012, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the memory boost Adam. I need to re-add that to my collection.

William

You're welcome. The music still holds up today.

His post Gamma work is also great. Territory, Speed of Sound and Open Fire are all really good.

Oh yes, my kids and I also enjoy "Warner Bros. Presents...Montrose,". We listen to "O Lucky Man, Dancing' Feet and 20 Flight Rock". They also like "Thunder and Lightning" and "Right the First Time" from Gamma and "Free Ride" from his time with Edgar Winter-sizzling Ronnie solo on that one.

What I love about his music-from the big guitars of "Rock Candy" and "Space Station #5", to the modal, acoustic instrumental "One And A Half".

He also played with Boz Skaggs.

Taste, taste, taste.