PDA

View Full Version : Crud MK2 ???

RGW
04-11-2012, 02:00 PM
Anyone have experience with the Crud MK2 mudguards? PBK has them on sale for $30. reviews seem favorable and from what I can tell they would work on my Gunnar Roadie.

eippo1
04-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Yup, I use them on my Sworks bike (which is really tight). They took a bit of time to set up and I periodically check on the nuts to make sure they are tight, but they are pretty fantastic. I get a slight bit of rub on the rear wheel because of the way the frame is built, but I can live with that.

Especially since they keep me, the bike and the drivetrain dry. They are very much worth it.

dan682
04-11-2012, 02:37 PM
I have a set. They are great on one bike but don't have quite enough clearance on the other. If you have more than 5mm of clearance between the tire and brake caliper they will work. And they generally won't work with tires larger than 23s. Easy to remove and re-install once you've done it a couple times.

RGW
04-11-2012, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the insights. I'll check the measurement on my bike to see if I meet the 5mm tolerance.

bfd
04-11-2012, 04:16 PM
Yup, I use them on my Sworks bike (which is really tight). They took a bit of time to set up and I periodically check on the nuts to make sure they are tight, but they are pretty fantastic. I get a slight bit of rub on the rear wheel because of the way the frame is built, but I can live with that.

Especially since they keep me, the bike and the drivetrain dry. They are very much worth it.

Yes, I run a set on my Calfee with 700x25. As stated, definitely check on the plastic nuts as they definitely come loose. On my commute, I lost one of the rear stays because the plastic nut came off and the next thing I knew the stay was in my rear wheel and snapped! I'm now running the bike with one stay and am now looking to replace it! :mad::butt::help:

At $30 for the pair, I may be making an order from PBK....Good Luck!

ultratoad
04-11-2012, 06:59 PM
They are of very poor quality and exceedingly flimsy, it takes nothing to knock them out of place....

SKS Race Blade "Longs" are a far superior product. A quality product that is easy to set up, sturdy and stays in place, even on bad roads....

reidbeloni
04-11-2012, 07:16 PM
I really like mine. I have used them on my 2011 Trek Madone and they both fit great. Only the front fits on my 2005 Trek Madone. But the front alone makes a big difference, it really keeps your feet clean and dry in light rain or wet roads. When I can use the rear it work well too. They do seem flimsy, but one argument is that if something goes wrong and they end up in your wheel they won't cause the wheel to lock up. They will just explode. I have seen this happen to someone else on a ride, fenders were done, but the rider kept going.

Whoop 100 posts for me!

eippo1
04-11-2012, 11:04 PM
The flimsy is part of the design so that they don't eff up your wheels, bike or you if something happens and they come apart -rock, stick etc. they have lots of info on this on their website.

I've never had an issue with them coming out of place and they are easy to move back if you do knock one of the stays

timto
04-11-2012, 11:37 PM
I did a wet and grimy 130 k w them on my Kirk... Silt got under the pads that rest on the stays and wore through Joe Bells paint job down to the metal in a spot! Tighter wrapping of the "O" rings and an under layer of tape to protect the frame and I think it would have been fine.... My 2 cents on this product.

rjfr
04-12-2012, 02:30 AM
I've used them on my Serotta Colorado, with 700x23, for the past two years. As mentioned by others they work. Only I've found is a small amount of spray at the brake bridge due to the narrowing of the fender at that point. Probably better than the SKS raceblades as they separate at the brake bridge for mounting and leave a larger gap.

I tried them on my Cyfac with HED C2s and Schwalb ZX 23s. Could not get them to fit after many, many attempts.

The nuts can come loose and parts then disappear. Fortunately I've found Peter really stands behind his product. After some issues purchasing spare parts, I sent an email expressing some frustration. Next thing, I received a response, and a few days later a package with spare parts. Gratis. He paid the postage.

My only wish is that they would work with wider tires.

Black Dog
04-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Put some locktite on the plastic screws and they will not fall off. They can be tight fit on some bikes but work well once set up.

RGW
04-12-2012, 12:17 PM
Thanks...all great feedback. I currently use Raceblades, and although their coverage is not tto great, they are very easy to take off & put on if I don't want them on full time, with the rubber band attachments.

Wondering how the Crud MK2's compare as far as ease of removing and re-installing?? From what I can tell, there seems to be a bit more involved with the installation so I suspect it's not quite as easy as the Raceblades...