PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Spec. Tarmac or S-Works SL-somethingorother?

54ny77
04-10-2012, 02:50 PM
You like? Yes, no, indifferent?

Opinions of owners or those who have ridden 'em sought.

Thanks.

firerescuefin
04-10-2012, 02:57 PM
Not a fan of the company...but both are great bikes....had a Tarmac SL

Steve in SLO
04-10-2012, 03:02 PM
I have a Tarmac SL S-Works from a few years back. I keep it up at our cabin and ride mountains on it.
Great frame...good in a race, comfy enough for a century (for me) and a screaming climber.

54ny77
04-10-2012, 03:06 PM
I think that's what it is. SL3 maybe? Will find out more details at some point. A pal has one, might pick up for a deal to use as spare (I've been on hunt for something along those lines). Dunno anything about it other than it's a bike, a good deal and it should fit fine.

Not a fan of the company...but both are great bikes....had a Tarmac SL

TAW
04-10-2012, 03:09 PM
I work at a Specialized shop and I own a Tarmac SL-3. As Steve said, it's a good race frame, stiffness you can feel and not bad in the comfort area. Not the most comfortable frame I've ever owned, but I like to ride it.

firerescuefin
04-10-2012, 03:11 PM
I think that's what it is. SL3 maybe? Will find out more details at some point. A pal has one, might pick up for a deal to use as spare (I've been on hunt for something along those lines). Dunno anything about it other than it's a bike, a good deal and it should fit fine.

Do it!

biker72
04-10-2012, 03:38 PM
You like? Yes, no, indifferent?

Opinions of owners or those who have ridden 'em sought.

Thanks.

I work at a shop that is a big Trek dealer. Most of the people that work here are riding Specialized bikes....:)

I just bought a new Allez frameset and put Campy 10 speed on it. Amazing ride.

FixedNotBroken
04-10-2012, 04:06 PM
I work at a shop that is a big Trek dealer. Most of the people that work here are riding Specialized bikes....:)

I just bought a new Allez frameset and put Campy 10 speed on it. Amazing ride.

Clean looking bikes..I prefer the Tarmac's/Venge/S-Works whatever over the Madone's. I have test ridden the S-Works and preferred it over the Madone that I used to own.

biker72
04-10-2012, 04:19 PM
Clean looking bikes..I prefer the Tarmac's/Venge/S-Works whatever over the Madone's. I have test ridden the S-Works and preferred it over the Madone that I used to own.

I have a co-worker that was going to buy a Allez but went for the Venge Expert Mid-Compact instead. He's very happy...:)

FixedNotBroken
04-10-2012, 04:26 PM
I have a co-worker that was going to buy a Allez but went for the Venge Expert Mid-Compact instead. He's very happy...:)

Clean, good looking, light, and responsive..Out of Trek, Specialized, Felt, etc..I prefer the Specialized rides. Good that's he's happy.

eippo1
04-10-2012, 04:35 PM
I had one until recently. Loved the snot out of that bike. Only sold it because I have an Sworks aluminum bike with the same geometry and I picked up a TI bike instead.

molly47
04-10-2012, 04:35 PM
just picked the sl 3 last week love it, always rode Pinarellos this bike shocked me climbs fantastic, rides smooth, very comfortable..great bike.

54ny77
04-10-2012, 04:37 PM
good lordy, all these closet big bike co. bike owners....;)

the silent speaketh!

thanks for the info. :)

rnhood
04-10-2012, 04:47 PM
I have an SL3 Tarmac (as well as an SL2 Roubaix) and it is the best riding and performing bike I've ever owned. The way it handles will have you loosing sleep at night thinking about saddling up again. And when the road tilts up, it moves effortlessley. A really nice bike from a great American company.

FixedNotBroken
04-10-2012, 05:39 PM
I have an SL3 Tarmac (as well as an SL2 Roubaix) and it is the best riding and performing bike I've ever owned. The way it handles will have you loosing sleep at night thinking about saddling up again. And when the road tilts up, it moves effortlessley. A really nice bike from a great American company.

Great bikes but great American company? I beg to differ..I have two family members who are in upper management for Specialized down in California and they would say the opposite that you are saying..from personal experience they aren't huge fans but they say, "Whatever pays the bills..."

tannhauser
04-10-2012, 05:41 PM
SL2s are super non-compliant, SL3s are better from what I understand.

Sinyard drives his boys hard.

wss
04-10-2012, 07:00 PM
SL2s are super non-compliant, .......

Different opinion here.
The ride of my 09 S-Works Tarmac, to me, is on par with my 04 Merlin Extralight. It's more comfy than my CIII but that might be because the CIII has 25mm tires mounted to Mavic Ksyrium rims and the other bikes are 25mm tires on A23 rims.
I do prefer the more muted ride of the steel and ti bike though.

FixedNotBroken
04-10-2012, 07:23 PM
Different opinion here.
The ride of my 09 S-Works Tarmac, to me, is on par with my 04 Merlin Extralight. It's more comfy than my CIII but that might be because the CIII has 25mm tires mounted to Mavic Ksyrium rims and the other bikes are 25mm tires on A23 rims.

I have DT240's laced to Velocity A23's coming..I purchased 23c tires..should I have gotten 25's?

benitosan1972
04-10-2012, 07:39 PM
just picked the sl 3 last week love it, always rode Pinarellos this bike shocked me climbs fantastic, rides smooth, very comfortable..great bike.

plus Specialized Bikes win the BIG pro races... i don't have one, nor plan to own one, but i've always heard great things about them... i would love to get my hands, er thighs on a SL4 or Venge and assault Mt Hamilton/Diablo/Tam in a single ride :)

tannhauser
04-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Different opinion here.

The one I rode was in about 07, maybe a different framset. Stock wheels, whatever they were, but very much a jackhammer compared to my Ti bike.

Whatever - they go fast.

tannhauser
04-10-2012, 07:46 PM
plus Specialized Bikes win the BIG pro races... i don't have one, nor plan to own one, but i've always heard great things about them... i would love to get my hands, er thighs on a SL4 or Venge and assault Mt Hamilton/Diablo/Tam in a single ride :)

Dude, you talk about yourself an awful lot.

benitosan1972
04-10-2012, 07:55 PM
no and yes. no, i'm talking about there's a ride that does all 3 of the major peaks/mountains in the Bay Area and i've heard that the SL3-4's are amazing climbers. yes, i'm talking about me doing it, thanks for the reek-cog-nee-shun bruddha, pree-shee-ate-it :cool:

Ti_on_Steel
04-10-2012, 07:58 PM
I'm a big fan of the E5 Allez. It's the same Al that used to be in the S Works Al frames, and has the same geometry as an S-Works Carbon.

tannhauser
04-10-2012, 08:01 PM
no and yes. no, i'm talking about there's a ride that does all 3 of the major peaks/mountains in the Bay Area and i've heard that the SL3-4's are amazing climbers. yes, i'm talking about me doing it, thanks for the reek-cog-nee-shun bruddha, pree-shee-ate-it :cool:

You BART-ing it? Remember - ain't no big thing if you don't ride btwn thems peaks.

Do the Nifty Ten Fifty.

- old school.

JonB
04-10-2012, 08:07 PM
I picked one up for cheap this past winter and LOVE it. The geometry is what I've been searching for for the past 15 years. Its very comfortable and plenty stiff. The 1-1/2" lower headtube bearing makes a big difference in the handling. Rock solid.

When I purchased the frameset, the idea was to have it as a trainer, travel, rain bike and then purchase an SL4 this summer. I'm now considering skipping the SL4 and sticking with the Allez. I like it that much.

I don't race, but do spirited group rides. (tonight's average speed for 32 miles was 22.1mph). I'm 6'2" and weigh 195 pounds.

As shown, its 15 pounds, 15 ounces.

benitosan1972
04-10-2012, 08:19 PM
well, now Tan Man, you're the one talking about me.
No, never done the Nifty Ten Fifty... would like to though.
i've done the Death Ride, Scary Monster, Tahoe, oh and yes i rode NY-to-LA

no, i'm not talking about any kind of BART/train/SAG,
i'm talking about this monster ride, would you like to join me? i got the first beer :beer:

this is the guy who "almost finished" http://app.strava.com/rides/900512

the guy who actually finished: Total miles for the day: 230, Total climbing: 17000', Total time: about 19:50

ALSO: ^ that Allez is beautiful, great looking bike that apparently rides great, for a better price than the Tarmac i'm sure

tannhauser
04-10-2012, 08:33 PM
Eff that bsan. Got most of that stuff out of my system.

I'll probably be getting in my usual ride, chilling with the fam, cooking, working on the house, drinking at home. Normal, not entirely about riding stuff.

gavingould
04-10-2012, 08:53 PM
have a 2005 Tarmac kicking around.
but recently built up a 2010 Focus Cayo that in some ways puts it to shame - mainly stiffness when putting down the power. still haven't put a lot of time on it, but that's what i'd say right off. the Tarmac was comparatively pretty soft compared to the alu track bike I raced on and the new Felt carbon cross bike i got last fall.

take with a grain of salt, i'm a big guy - 6'4, 220ish.

i'm sure the newer Tarmacs have come along in a similar manner on the stiffness index. i know a few people on SL/SL2/SL3s that quite like them.

54ny77
05-26-2012, 11:38 AM
Having just wrapped up a couple weeks and lot of training miles on the SL2, I'm now a believer in off-the-shelf high end carbon bikes (if it fits). Wouldn't hesitate at all to pick up next generation of an S-Works in the future if the price was right.

Consider: walk in shop, take bike off rack, done. No managed expectations, no disappointments, no headaches, no screwy websites, no utter lack of customer service, no lies, no b.s.

The SL2 geometry was a little twitchy compared to what I was used to, but at the end of the day, it rode just fine and I got used to the dynamic. The motor (me) was what lacked, not the ride! Had some long 5-6 hour days on it and the bike just plain delivered each time, no muss no fuss.

Moral of story is if an S-works bike deal comes your way and it fits, def. give it some consideration. Thanks again to everyone for the tips & experiences.

Obligatory pic of bike (although now it has diff. tires and a SRAM Red compact on it, because I go slow up hills...).

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z113/jpmz06/Bike/IMG_3071.jpg

tlittlefield
05-26-2012, 12:41 PM
I am in my second season on a 2010 Tarmac Expert, fantastic ride. I had three Serotta Colorado steel framed bikes before this. Would never go back to a steel bike again.

killacks
05-26-2012, 01:19 PM
Umm... Can I have your bike?? :rolleyes:

I picked one up for cheap this past winter and LOVE it. The geometry is what I've been searching for for the past 15 years. Its very comfortable and plenty stiff. The 1-1/2" lower headtube bearing makes a big difference in the handling. Rock solid.

When I purchased the frameset, the idea was to have it as a trainer, travel, rain bike and then purchase an SL4 this summer. I'm now considering skipping the SL4 and sticking with the Allez. I like it that much.

I don't race, but do spirited group rides. (tonight's average speed for 32 miles was 22.1mph). I'm 6'2" and weigh 195 pounds.

Climb01742
05-26-2012, 05:45 PM

any idea what the largest tires you can run are? a very sweet ride.

54ny77
05-29-2012, 12:04 AM
woopsie daisy...

read over on ww forum that the guy saved it, despite both driveside chainstay & seatstay going, "oh snap!"

some mighty fine handling by that rider for sure. specialized oughta save this one for the r&d books.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/download/file.php?id=49929&mode=view

pdmtong
05-29-2012, 12:43 AM
SL2 way stiff. did not like

SL3 better. still did not like

SL4 supposed to be sublime...would like to try

JonB
05-30-2012, 08:33 AM
any idea what the largest tires you can run are? a very sweet ride.

I use Schwalbe Ultremo HT 25mm tubulars and there's plenty of clearance. 28mm looks like it would fit fine.

velomonkey
06-01-2012, 09:37 PM
woopsie daisy...

read over on ww forum that the guy saved it, despite both driveside chainstay & seatstay going, "oh snap!"

some mighty fine handling by that rider for sure. specialized oughta save this one for the r&d books.

Love this photo - wow - I am sure there are some who see this like 9-11, it was an inside job. To me, proof is in the pudding. :bike: