PDA

View Full Version : Saddles

jpw
04-10-2012, 10:18 AM
I've been riding with a Scratch and I'm going to be moving my position forward a little. I'm toying with changing to a saddle with a cut out center section for
pressure relieving comfort.

I'm thinking about the Selle SMP range. Are the any other saddles out there worth considering?

mandasol
04-10-2012, 01:20 PM
When you relieve pressure in one area it increases in another. With a cut out saddle you may feel more pressure on your sit bones (potentially being even more uncomfortable), so it's really crucial to find a saddle that matches those sit bones the closest.

If you like the saddle you got, start with a saddle with the closest shape and width. http://www.wekeepyoucycling.com/en/ has a great website that shows exact measurements of different saddles to narrow down your choices.

AngryScientist
04-10-2012, 02:18 PM
specialized Romin appears to have a similar shape to the Scratch with a cutout, maybe worth a try.

http://images56.fotki.com/v1598/photos/1/1292031/8610401/SpRominSl-vi.jpg

azrider
04-10-2012, 02:23 PM
http://cdn1.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net/2012/04/02/2/1t4i_saddle_2_600.jpg

gone
04-10-2012, 03:03 PM
I tried several different models of the SMP (I don't remember them all but I know I tried the evolution and pro) and they just didn't work for me. At all. Based on measuring my other saddles, the evolution should have been the right size but 25 miles and I was absolutely done.

Naturally, YMMV but I'd recommend if you're going to try it you look into a demo program somewhere that'll let you return it if it doesn't work for you.

Liv2RideHard
04-10-2012, 03:19 PM
I have a Fizik Arione Versus I am looking to trade. It is not wide enough for me at 134 mm. It has a channel rather than a cutout. Let me know if interested. The scratch was on my shortlist if it is the wide "plus" version.

jpw
04-10-2012, 03:24 PM
I have a Fizik Arione Versus I am looking to trade. It is not wide enough for me at 134 mm. It has a channel rather than a cutout. Let me know if interested. The scratch was on my shortlist if it is the wide "plus" version.

My Scratch is not the wide plus version, but thanks for the thought.

John H.
04-10-2012, 04:14 PM
They now make a scratch plus that has a center channel- channel is much like the vs. model fizik saddles- but you get to kee the scratch shape.

QUOTE=jpw;1116685]I've been riding with a Scratch and I'm going to be moving my position forward a little. I'm toying with changing to a saddle with a cut out center section for

I'm thinking about the Selle SMP range. Are the any other saddles out there worth considering?[/QUOTE]

hainy
04-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Make sure you try an SMP before you buy. I was able to and it didn't work for me.

Loving my Kontact.

jpw
04-11-2012, 04:30 AM
They now make a scratch plus that has a center channel- channel is much like the vs. model fizik saddles- but you get to kee the scratch shape.

QUOTE=jpw;1116685]I've been riding with a Scratch and I'm going to be moving my position forward a little. I'm toying with changing to a saddle with a cut out center section for

I'm thinking about the Selle SMP range. Are the any other saddles out there worth considering?[/QUOTE]

Scratch Pro Plus - good spot. It could be just the answer I'm looking for. I'll check it out. Many thanks.

velobran
04-11-2012, 08:32 AM
The Scratch was pretty good for me, just not perfect. Switched to a Romin and it was even better.