PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite ride?

Nooch
04-10-2012, 08:43 AM
Group, solo, doesn't matter...

What's the one ride that either means a lot to you, or you get the best workout on, or that just speaks to you emotionally for whatever reason?

For me, there's a Tuesday Morning sufferfest. It's a small group of guys, never more than 6. It's a paceline, only allowed to use the small ring, 4 laps of a 5 mile loop, 20-23mph. This ride did so much for me last year from increasing my cadence, to ultimately increasing my average speeds and taxing the aerobic system to better handle the efforts.

Today was the first of the season -- man it feels good to be back!

So what about you? Is there one ride that just resonates?

witcombusa
04-10-2012, 08:52 AM
d2r2

AngryScientist
04-10-2012, 08:56 AM
we must have different priorities,

repeating a 5 mile loop in the small ring sounds like my idea of LEAST favorite type of ride, nevermind favorite.

all of my favorite rides are one-off's. seeing new roads, scenery, epic climbs for the first time - that's where the fun is at for me. not knowing whats around the next bend, surprisingly awe inspiring scenery, good stuff.

MattTuck
04-10-2012, 09:04 AM
Probably one of the rides around here, 40-60 miles, 4,000 ft climbing, pass farms, low traffic roads, know all the turns, moo at the cows, just out on the road alone enjoying it.

After having gone wine tasting a few years ago in Santa Ynez valley near Solvang, CA; I've been aching to get back there with a bike, I think some of those roads would be my new favorites if I rode on them.... if you ride before 11am, when the wineries open for tastings.

dogdriver
04-10-2012, 09:10 AM
The one I'm about to go on.

Apologies for getting all sentimental, but I blew out my Achilles a few months ago and have been limited to various "hamster wheels" -- hand bike, trainers, recumbent gym bikes, etc-- for a couple months. See my Physical Therapist in a couple hours and expect/hope for him to release me to flat rides on an actual bike.

Gone (for the near term) are my thoughts of being disgusted that I didn't average 22mph on the home loop, or that my mtb climb was interrupted by clearing dead fall from the trail, or that I feel more beat than I should during the group ride that I wanted to hammer on.

I shall be on my SS with flat pedals, accompanying my kids as we ride the the 1.8 mile asphalt loop to and from the local BMX park, standing on the side watching them rage, and it will be awesome.

MattTuck
04-10-2012, 09:11 AM
The one I'm about to go on.

Apologies for getting all sentimental, but I blew out my Achilles a few months ago and have been limited to various "hamster wheels" -- hand bike, trainers, recumbent gym bikes, etc-- for a couple months. See my Physical Therapist in a couple hours and expect/hope for him to release me to flat rides on an actual bike.

Gone (for the near term) are my thoughts of being disgusted that I didn't average 22mph on the home loop, or that my mtb climb was interrupted by clearing dead fall from the trail, or that I feel more beat than I should during the group ride that I wanted to hammer on.

I shall be on my SS with flat pedals, accompanying my kids as we ride the the 1.8 mile asphalt loop to and from the local BMX park, standing on the side watching them rage, and it will be awesome.

Awesome! good luck and hope it goes well. You'll be riding hard soon enough.

Nooch
04-10-2012, 09:12 AM

That does sound pretty awesome :banana: enjoy the day!

Fishbike
04-10-2012, 10:12 AM
we must have different priorities,

all of my favorite rides are one-off's. seeing new roads, scenery, epic climbs for the first time - that's where the fun is at for me. not knowing whats around the next bend, surprisingly awe inspiring scenery, good stuff.

My sentiments exactly. I love to get lost.

flydhest
04-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Team ride, about now in the season, 60 miles, two-up, tempo.

dogdriver
04-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Yesterday's event successful-- heading out now for 30 minutes around the neighborhood. The humble return from injury has begun!

tsarpepe
04-11-2012, 11:03 AM
This may sound strange, but I do actually enjoy speeding through big city traffic (as long as it is not jammed).

Fixed
04-11-2012, 11:06 AM
mrs fixed takes me for a ride in the car most days
cheers :)

veloduffer
04-11-2012, 11:27 AM
Riding with my cycling buddies - sometimes we're fast and other times we are slow. No egos or strict training regimens to deal with - just meet if you can and ride 25-50 miles - whatever family constraints allow.

If I ride solo, I try to explore and find new routes and sideroads.

:banana:

Puget Pounder
04-11-2012, 11:43 AM
25-50 miles with 3 or more people at any pace above 16 in general.

jr59
04-11-2012, 11:46 AM
The next ride I go on.

I always enjoy the ride. At times, I suffer, flat, or don't enjoy it while I'm out doing it.
But, I always look forward to the next one.

I had to go a very extended time when at times I thought I would never ride again. Thankfully, I got well enough to ride. Therefore, I look forward to every ride, and try to enjoy every one. Of course into a 15-17 mph headwind it's a bit tough to think what a good time I'm having!

@Mr Fixed, I hope you get better soon!

MattTuck
04-11-2012, 12:08 PM
The next ride I go on.
Of course into a 15-17 mph headwind it's a bit tough to think what a good time I'm having!

Amen brother.

Just pretend you're Tom Boonen, 55 seconds ahead of a charging peloton in the last 40K of Paris Roubaix.... not sure if it will make you have a better time, but will give you something to curse besides the wind.

weiwentg
04-11-2012, 12:29 PM
I dislike driving, and this ride is about an hour's drive each direction. But the Potomac Pedalers in DC rides out of Frederick, MD, in the Catoctins. One of the rides goes up past Camp David, if the President is not there. It's steep. It makes me wish I had an 11 speed compact (my current top gear is 39-29, and I'd like a 34-29). A couple of weeks ago the ride totaled 7,000+ feet of climbing and some 15%+ ramps. painful. but beautiful scenery.

Bob Loblaw
04-11-2012, 01:11 PM
Solo:
Mt. Hamilton in the mountains above San Jose, CA.

Group:
Hard to top the Sunday ride I have going now with the Cannibal Velo Club (http://www.cannibal-veloclub.webs.com/). Regroups for those who get dropped, hellacious attacks on uphills and on fast flat sections, and a sunny cup of espresso or iced tea afterwards, time allowing.