PDA

View Full Version : Blown Ksyrium Elite Rim - worth fixing?

Gat64
04-09-2012, 07:53 AM
So on Saturday I was finishing up a hilly ride when upon stomping on the pedals powering up a hill I heard a snap. On of the bladed spokes pulled the rim fastener right out causing an extreme wobble which I had to remove my rear brake pads just to limp home.

I did expect it ay any time and actually had some other wheels on order... not here yet. I had been noticing after the last few rides that the wheel kept going out of true - a sign of a rim tearing out I guess.

Anyway, the rim is toast and did not owe me anything. My question is: Is it worth getting the rear wheel rebuilt with a new rim? It's a 2003 model. Any idea on costs?

Thanks for any advice.

saab2000
04-09-2012, 08:00 AM
You got about 9 or 10 seasons out of it. I'd call it good and get another set. Got your money's worth out of those wheels.

Jeff N.
04-09-2012, 08:08 AM
You've definitely gotten your money's worth out of the wheelset, but what the heck...if you can somehow find a replacement rim that doesn't cost too much, I'd go ahead and try to rebuild that rear wheel. I mean, it's no good to anyone the way it is! Otherwise, I'd at least try to sell the front wheel. Ya never know who might need it.